GDT: Oral Bob @ Jackrabbits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: Oral Bob @ Jackrabbits

I don't like to preempt OldHare from starting these posts, but tomorrow night's game against Oral Roberts is shaping up to be a big game. The winner will be the only undefeated team in the Summit.

With a 7-11 overall record, the Golden Eagles don't appear to golden. However, five of those losses are to Power 5 schools and they've had close losses to Montana, Pepperdine, and Oakland. Versus common opponents, they beat Missouri State and also destroyed Omaha. The Missouri State win must have been a wake up call after getting thumped by UNLV and losing to Southern Nazarene.

Emmanuel Nzekwesi, a 6'8" sophomore, and 6'9" Albert Owens lead the team in scoring at 13.3 and12.5 points respectively. They spread the wealth with six players scoring 9.9 pts/game or better. They have added length with 6'10" Javan White from Ames, IA and 6'8" Chris Miller also starting games this year.

While they defend well from beyond the arc, it appears their Achilles is turnovers. Assist to TO ratio is 1.0, average 14.3 per game, and must give up a fair amount of layups as teams are shooting .461 from inside the arc. I would suspect some of that is from their youth. Of their eight man rotation, four are sophomores and one is a freshman. This could be a dangerous team in future years.

Shoot the rock from beyond the arc like they have been and play strong defense and we should be fine. It will be interesting how they match up with Daum. They have length and athletes, but I'm not sure they've had much success defending a talent like Daum.

Re: GDT: Oral Bob @ Jackrabbits

SDSU is probably one of the worst possible match-ups for ORU.

SDSU is #6 in team 3FG% & #1 in 3FGM... ORU is still adjusting to playing a zone under Coach Mills after being a strictly man defense team under Sutton. So, will the zone bend or break? Guess we will find out.

KenPom is predicting a SDSU win by 12... which sounds about right. If SDSU is hitting shots and Daum is playing like he usually does SDSU is pretty difficult team to beat.
    ORU Sports Forum

Comment

Originally posted by Golden Eagle View Post
      SDSU is probably one of the worst possible match-ups for ORU.

SDSU is #6 in team 3FG% & #1 in 3FGM... ORU is still adjusting to playing a zone under Coach Mills after being a strictly man defense team under Sutton. So, will the zone bend or break? Guess we will find out.

KenPom is predicting a SDSU win by 12... which sounds about right. If SDSU is hitting shots and Daum is playing like he usually does SDSU is pretty difficult team to beat.
      This could be a game where the Jackrabbits return a favor of most made 3 pt shots in a game as ORU sets up primarily with 1-3-1 zone. Also, senior Albert Owens-preseason Summit First Team pick-is likely to be coming off the bench. The Golden Eagles will be a much improved team. The storm should be past by tomorrow afternoon for travel and this ought to be a quality game that is on Midco/ESPN3.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
        This could be a game where the Jackrabbits return a favor of most made 3 pt shots in a game as ORU sets up primarily with 1-3-1 zone. Also, senior Albert Owens-preseason Summit First Team pick-is likely to be coming off the bench. The Golden Eagles will be a much improved team. The storm should be past by tomorrow afternoon for travel and this ought to be a quality game that is on Midco/ESPN3.
        These are the games that are usually the most concerning for me. Sometimes playing a zone lulls the offense into looking for the long jumpers first. If the men can keep the flow of the offense like they have most of the year, they should win by double digits. If the settle for jumpers all night and they don't fall, this could be one of those head-scratching outcomes.

Also, it seems to me that everytime ORU comes to Frost they all become the greatest shooters the Summit has ever seen...
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          These are the games that are usually the most concerning for me. Sometimes playing a zone lulls the offense into looking for the long jumpers first. If the men can keep the flow of the offense like they have most of the year, they should win by double digits. If the settle for jumpers all night and they don't fall, this could be one of those head-scratching outcomes.

Also, it seems to me that everytime ORU comes to Frost they all become the greatest shooters the Summit has ever seen...
          Ugh I know right, Oakland would do that here too. Kangas and Bader would just seem to launch from anywhere and it was going in. a lot of opposing players have said they like the feel of frost that it a good shooters gym.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Hopefully we get to feel what it's like to be on the other side of a hot shooting team vs. 1-3-1 zone matchup. I still have flashbacks to all those open corner 3's we saw opponents nailing last December. We have one of the best 3-point shooting teams in the country and if they play like it the 1-3-1 could get bombarded. I've heard TJ talk about ORU in a couple interviews the past week and every time he mentions their height. It sounds like they are much better built for the zone than we were last year. That could be trouble if there's an off shooting night.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
              Hopefully we get to feel what it's like to be on the other side of a hot shooting team vs. 1-3-1 zone matchup. I still have flashbacks to all those open corner 3's we saw opponents nailing last December. We have one of the best 3-point shooting teams in the country and if they play like it the 1-3-1 could get bombarded. I've heard TJ talk about ORU in a couple interviews the past week and every time he mentions their height. It sounds like they are much better built for the zone than we were last year. That could be trouble if there's an off shooting night.
              So if Daum gets the ball close to the paint, is it a double team or triple team? I remember the year that Cody Larson was given a single team and we ended the drought for a win in Mabee. We will need to find a seam for the offensive rebounds out of half court offense. If the Jackrabbit offense gets a few runs up and down the court, the bigs may slow a step too.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

My concern is less about the offensive end but on the defensive end. They have a very big front line and have been really attacking the offensive boards. I think the key to us winning is to avoid giving them 2nd chance points. If we can do that I think we win, if not we could be in trouble. ORU seems like a team (similar to us last year) that has a new coach who is starting to figure out his team's strengths and playing to them. They could be very dangerous.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                  My concern is less about the offensive end but on the defensive end. They have a very big front line and have been really attacking the offensive boards. I think the key to us winning is to avoid giving them 2nd chance points. If we can do that I think we win, if not we could be in trouble. ORU seems like a team (similar to us last year) that has a new coach who is starting to figure out his team's strengths and playing to them. They could be very dangerous.
                  Theisen has averaged 25 minutes in the two Summit games. If healthy, he could play more than that against a big line-up like ORU has.

Comment

One player that is difficult to gauge is Javan White. He's been a non-factor in some games and others he's one of the more dominant players for them. At 6'10" with range beyond the arc, he can cause some issues if we have to have one of our guard/forwards defend him. White redshirted last year, so we did not see him. However, during his freshman year he had his best game that year against us. He went 7-7 from the floor and 2-2 from the line with 7 rebounds. He's grown two inches since then and is in his third year collegiately. This year, he's had games of 25, 24 and 18 against quality teams. If they play all four bigs in a rotation, they can spend much of the game with a front line ranging from 6'8" to 6'10". Their 6'8" player happens to be their best player right now.

Put the pressure on their guards and in transition and make them matchup with us.

Comment

Some of the conference(more recent games) may be skewed since all 3 were home games, but the numbers are ticking up for the Golden Eagles. Points per game have risen to 83.3 from 71.4. Remember that they did play a solid OOC that may have been some of the difference while the new lineup may be some as well. The shooting percentage against Omaha, Ft Wayne, and WIU was 46.8% vs 41.4%. Rebounds are 8 more boards per game. They average 16 trips to the line and shoot 77.6% compared to earlier 66%. The 2 recurring themes is that they have played better in conference and they have played well at home. Big Surprise. At this time, ORU should have a good start on the top half of the conference with 3-0 start.

Comment

Going to be a good game. I'm hopeful the good guys come out on top.

Comment

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that we are not going to be getting anywhere near 85 points tonight! ORU and their zone look impressive after 5:00. They have slowed us down to a crawl, making us work for shots more than recent games. They seem to be daring us to take 8' jumpers from within the lane. On the other end their size is obviously going to be an issue. It sure looks like this is going to be a very tight game.

Comment

I hate zone defense SO much.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

25-16 ORU w/ 6:58 left in in the 1st half.

Haven't seen us play this bad since the game in December against Missouri State. Not shooting well. Just look out of sorts.

Credit ORU's zone and coming out ready to play, but hopefully we figure it out.
                              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                              - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X