Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Jackrabbits @ Mavs in Baxter Arena

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    It would be nice to get both Key and Howell some minutes this season. I know that TJ is great at recruiting but we might need them next year. I will assume that we will get Flatten and Daum back but what do we have coming back next season?
    Daum
    Flatten
    Jenkins Jr
    Key
    Howell
    Brown
    I know we have four players redshirting but if we don't have Daum and Flatten we will be a whole new team other than Jenkins Jr. I would like to have more the one player on the team that has at least some college level playing experience next season.

As for this year, we really don't "need" Key and Howell but it would be nice to be able to get the top seven some rest at some point in the conference season.
    After not playing in Fargo Howell had 16 minutes in Omaha (6 more than Severyn). Let's not act like Howell isn't getting any minutes. We happened to win both games rather easily.

You're argument on Key appears valid but at this point last year no one anywhere would think Michael Orris would end up being maybe the second most important player on the team.

Comment

I see Cole Gentry started the last two games for Wright State. It would be nice to have him on the roster. He is better than Key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
        I see Cole Gentry started the last two games for Wright State. It would be nice to have him on the roster. He is better than Key.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I watched his game against Detroit Mercy. He and Key have similar issues with dribbling WAY too much.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          I watched his game against Detroit Mercy. He and Key have similar issues with dribbling WAY too much.
          Dribbling too much is normally a problem. Wolters did quite a bit of dribbling and he created the offense. If the guy is just dribbling until a double team shows making a poor percentage shot, then it is too much. If he can create his offense or someone else, it is a better plan. I have not watched Gentry other than for a few minutes of game and it seemed he had good court vision.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I'm not giving up on Brandon Key. Hopefully this is just a rough patch, and he'll come through it.

With next year... I think Daum/Flatten/King/Jenkins is a pretty nice returning lineup. Losing: Telly, Severyn, Thiesen

Pretty sure Alou Dillon will either be in the running for a starting spot, or for certain in the big man rotation.
            -Not sure what to expect from the Wisconsin guys... Ariens and Krueger... both have some size (6'4" and 6'6", respectively), so I suppose they are both being looked at as wing players.
            also Dentlinger 6'8" from Iowa.

And the incoming guys all look like they will be good players. Mims and King look like they can both play the point, and Fiegen will probably be in the mix for a post... but like was said earlier...may need a year of strength and weight gain.

I suspect we'll be fine.

Comment

At 6'8" and 250 Dentlinger should be able to provide some size in the post for defense if he can crack the rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                At 6'8" and 250 Dentlinger should be able to provide some size in the post for defense if he can crack the rotation.
                With Telly, Theisen and Severyn gone for sure, it's more a question of how much time he gets, not if he can crack the rotation. If Flatten and/or Daum would not come back, he would have to play major minutes.

Comment

If this team can make a decent run this year I would think it would be very possible for coach to bring in a juco/graduate transfer big to fill in until the younger guys are ready mentally and physically to step up. Coach certainly hasn't been afraid to bring in transfers, so the year to year roster projections are just really hard to do with all the player movement that happens in the off season.

I'm really hoping Flatten can get another year because with all his injuries it looks like he is finally healthy enough to come into his own. I think there is a lot of upside left to his game if only he has another year to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                    I would disagree on Cole dribbling way too much. ESPN3 provides more coverage for WSU so I've caught a lot of their games. Cole dribbles with purpose and keeps his dribble going when he enters the paint. Lately they've been running a lot of pick-n-roll with Cole and Love. Also Nagy's squad doesn't shoot that ball that great so they rely on cutters and drivers so Cole is either dribbling into the paint for a dump-off to Love, a score at the rim or driving to the paint to hit one of their cutting wings.

Whereas Key continuously dribbles into the paint, picks up his dribble and either stops the ball movement or turns it over. He lacks purpose with his dribbling. Cole is significantly better than Key; he's hitting 40% from 3 and is their floor general.

In general I think TJ has realized that the team simply is better when TK & DJJ run the point. Also Key is not a shooter, so putting him at off-guard is not an option. Both TK & DJJ can find ways to score when playing off the ball. Our 7-8 man rotation is working well and I don't see TJ straying from that anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                      If this team can make a decent run this year I would think it would be very possible for coach to bring in a juco/graduate transfer big to fill in until the younger guys are ready mentally and physically to step up. Coach certainly hasn't been afraid to bring in transfers, so the year to year roster projections are just really hard to do with all the player movement that happens in the off season.

I'm really hoping Flatten can get another year because with all his injuries it looks like he is finally healthy enough to come into his own. I think there is a lot of upside left to his game if only he has another year to get there.
                      We have two years worth of evidence to support this theory. TJ obviously knows how to find and recruit "non-traditional" players. He clearly doesn't hit a homerun on all of them but so far enough have worked out to make a big impact (Hess, Orris, Jenkins and hopefully Key). I'd definitely expect to see a couple more if we lose a couple of the Daum/Flatten/Key combo. Likable coach, exciting style of play, a solid tradition and history of sending players to professional teams - what's not to like (other than this damn weather)?

Comment

Gentry is a good shooter. It was disappointing when he left, but what are you going to do? The coach who recruited him, had room for him, and Coach Otz brought in Wallace, Orris, El Darwich, all kind of played his position.

I guess I'm saying I don't blame Cole for leaving. It is what it is.

Comment

Orris dribbled a lot. but the point of dribbling is to keep the ball alive. when you stop dripping and just try to force action is just as bad if not worse. dribbling into the lane and no where to go and then stop and try a jump pass is a great way to turn it over. keep the ball alive and you can get it out. if your just dribbling into double teams that is fine or if your missing ball movement when there are good openings, then its too much. but watching players dribble then just pick up the ball or not able to keep the ball moving really are a bigger issue I think then dribbling to much.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                          X