Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018 Schedule Complete

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Either a Debbie downer or sandbagger... I'm calling 8-3. Any less is a failure, any more is a good year.
    I know you're trying to be realistic, but I think the expectation needs to be maximum 2 losses and a seed. If we want to be big time we gotta have big time expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      I know you're trying to be realistic, but I think the expectation needs to be maximum 2 losses and a seed. If we want to be big time we gotta have big time expectations.
      I agree. I expect us to have a good year, so my personal prediction is 9-2, hoping for 10-1.

Comment

I don't think there's anything wrong with being realistic. We can have big time expectations and still have a conservative estimate to the W-L record, given all the unknowns. The big expectations of the last few years have been a by product of some of the talent we had that is now gone. We don't know at this point if our D will be better, or if our O will be as dynamic as we hope. We have a much tougher schedule this year, with all of our hardest games on the road. The D and O could all come together for us, and 7-4 could still easily happen, just based on the FBS game and the road conference schedule. Personally, I think we will lose either @ ISUR (because we haven't won there in 10+ years, even with our talented teams of 2014 and 2016), or we lose at UNI. But I don't think we'll lose both. I imagine we might lose one of the USD/@SIU/Hobo Day games as well, and then we have two hard games in September. 8-3 is pretty realistic, and 7-4 wouldn't shock me. 9-2 would shock me, just looking at the schedule. Just my opinion, but I think 7-4 is more likely than 9-2, until we see this team in September. We may very well be a 9-2 or 10-1 type team, but it will be a tough challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
          Chris Murray, the Montana State QB who almost led the comeback against us in Bozeman last year, will not be making the trip to Brookings on September 8th. Looks like he's going to "Focus on academics" this year and burn his redshirt. I had the MSU game as must win for us in September, and I like our chances much more now. MSU was a good team last year (despite their record), and that QB was a good athlete. We'll see what the bobcats have for a replacement in August.
          MSU was already without their top 2 receivers from last year. Johnson blew out his knee in spring ball. Against us last year he had 8 rec. 116 yards and 2 TDs. They also lost Mitch Herbert (9-111-2).

Murray blew our doors off last year passing for 311 and 4 tds while rushing for 107 yards and another td.

Their defense graduated a number of decent players too. We need to dominate this game.
          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
            I don't think there's anything wrong with being realistic. We can have big time expectations and still have a conservative estimate to the W-L record, given all the unknowns. The big expectations of the last few years have been a by product of some of the talent we had that is now gone. We don't know at this point if our D will be better, or if our O will be as dynamic as we hope. We have a much tougher schedule this year, with all of our hardest games on the road. The D and O could all come together for us, and 7-4 could still easily happen, just based on the FBS game and the road conference schedule. Personally, I think we will lose either @ ISUR (because we haven't won there in 10+ years, even with our talented teams of 2014 and 2016), or we lose at UNI. But I don't think we'll lose both. I imagine we might lose one of the USD/@SIU/Hobo Day games as well, and then we have two hard games in September. 8-3 is pretty realistic, and 7-4 wouldn't shock me. 9-2 would shock me, just looking at the schedule. Just my opinion, but I think 7-4 is more likely than 9-2, until we see this team in September. We may very well be a 9-2 or 10-1 type team, but it will be a tough challenge.

I don't really either, but if we want to take the next step, 8-3 and 7-4 can't be considered a success if it proceeds an early exit in the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              I don't really either, but if we want to take the next step, 8-3 and 7-4 can't be considered a success if it proceeds an early exit in the playoffs.
              That last part is the real key. With how unbalanced our conference road schedule is one year to the next judging off of the W/L can be misleading. We could very well be better than last year and end up with more losses with how the schedule shakes out. With the smaller number of games in a season for football it only takes two games to make a teams record look far worse than the previous year. The playoffs are what I’ll be judging off of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                That last part is the real key. With how unbalanced our conference road schedule is one year to the next judging off of the W/L can be misleading. We could very well be better than last year and end up with more losses with how the schedule shakes out. With the smaller number of games in a season for football it only takes two games to make a teams record look far worse than the previous year. The playoffs are what I’ll be judging off of.

Agreed. Going 9-2 in the regular season with this year's schedule would be more of an accomplishment than that same record last year. 7-4 or 8-3 are pretty realistic, and would give us a chance to prove ourselves in the playoffs. Seeding, pairing, and regionality may make it hard to prove anything if we get routed through Fargo again. We were 8-3 in 2016 with a seed, so it is possible. If we are going to get a seed at 8-3, I think we have to have a win over either NDSU or Iowa State to do it, in my opinion.

Comment

Why not 15-0 and a ring for each ringfinger on the squad? It's possible! To dream the impossible dream......

Comment

Fyi, 5dimes says we are 13.5 point dogs at Iowa state (total of 53.5). That's pretty impressive for an FCS school vs. a power 5 school. Here's to hoping it gets bet over 14 so I feel even better about backing the Jacks.

Comment

is anybody on here interested in a single ticket for this game I'm needing to buy 11 even though I only have 10 going hit me up on a p. m. and I can get you my particulars

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I know was talked about but not sure which thread I think fear was warranted by the ESPN+ platform. Fear is probably too strong s term but more of an inconvenience for cord cutters.

http://valley-football.org/news/2018...spn3-espn.aspx

Comment

Well, looks like I’m getting ESPN+ this season I guess.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                            I know was talked about but not sure which thread I think fear was warranted by the ESPN+ platform. Fear is probably too strong s term but more of an inconvenience for cord cutters.

http://valley-football.org/news/2018...spn3-espn.aspx

$5/month isn't bad, especially when you can cancel at any time. I see that the Iowa State game doesn't show as being on any of the ESPN platforms. That can't be right, can it?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

$5/month isn't bad, especially when you can cancel at any time. I see that the Iowa State game doesn't show as being on any of the ESPN platforms. That can't be right, can it?
                              Club Norby's, here we come 😂
                              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                                Club Norby's, here we come 
                                Lol, what is that going to do for us? Are we going to have them pull up the game on the radio?

Comment

Working...
                                X