GDT: Jackrabbits @ Bison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: Jackrabbits @ Bison

This would be a great time to slip into Fargo and get a road win. FCS Championship is weighing heavy on the minds of bison faithful. 8-6 record for the bison includes a split with Missouri St. They have been up and down coming into the Summit, but they seem to rise to the occasion when the Jackrabbits get to Fargo. An opening road win would lift the Jackrabbit stock early in the season. We should see a fairly healthy team. Go Jacks!!

TV: MidcoSN, ESPN3
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Re: GDT: Jackrabbits @ Bison

I think we are the better team, but man do we always seem to have a mental block up there. Maybe there's enough new players/faces that it doesn't matter anymore.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
      I think we are the better team, but man do we always seem to have a mental block up there. Maybe there's enough new players/faces that it doesn't matter anymore.
      No Students, 1/2 the crowd on way to Frisco, SDSU has Daum. Bison by 3

Comment

http://www.gobison.com/news/2018/1/2...wednesday.aspx
        Richman giving the weekly report.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Most of the attention will be focused on what Daum is able to do but King’s defense vs. Paul Miller could very well decide this one. Miller is going to have to score at a pretty good rate for NDSU to keep up. King’s the guy to keep that from happening.

Werner was the Summit’s toughest matchup for Daum last year. He was quick enough to cause a few turnovers defensively and was aggressive and skilled enough to take advantage of Daum’s “stay out of foul trouble” defense. There's no 2018 version of Werner on the NDSU roster. I would not be surprised to see a fair amount of Theissen and Daum on the court together to really exploit their post issues.

I read through last year’s Fargo GDT this morning. Thanks to injuries and Telly’s epic mid-season slump we had essentially two weapons last year: Daum and Howell (who was even more prone to turnovers at the time). That won’t be the case this year. Plenty can score.

The Jacks lose this one if they have a shooting night like the Missouri St game or if a couple of the non-Miller Bison guards get into a ridiculous shooting zone. Either could very easily happen in Fargo - where dreams go to freeze. A win tonight would be a bonus and a big boost going into the season.

Comment

Offensive numbers have the Jackrabbits shooting a bit better from the 3 and taking about 6 more shots per game. Bison average 73.8 and Jackrabbits average 85.7.

Comment

Going to be a tough game, for sure.

Hopefully the team is prepared, and ready for the challenge that the Bison present. Win or lose, a lot of basketball to be played, but it would sure be nice to start the Conference Slate with a road win.

Comment

SDSU is slated as 1 point underdogs (or the game is a pick em, depending on the book). I'm guessing this is driven by the Missouri State game, as it's a common opponent. Also, our record in Fargo is terrible, with our last win there coming in January of 2012 (which took OT), and I'm not sure on the last win before that. Not to mention, most of those losses were by a pretty wide margin. I'm guessing we turn that around this year and win by 7. Our defense will be the difference, as we find a way to force bad shots after watching them run their garbage offense for 32 second of the shot clock. Daum gets 30+ again, as they don't have anyone that can stop him.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                  SDSU is slated as 1 point underdogs (or the game is a pick em, depending on the book). I'm guessing this is driven by the Missouri State game, as it's a common opponent. Also, our record in Fargo is terrible, with our last win there coming in January of 2012 (which took OT), and I'm not sure on the last win before that. Not to mention, most of those losses were by a pretty wide margin. I'm guessing we turn that around this year and win by 7. Our defense will be the difference, as we find a way to force bad shots after watching them run their garbage offense for 32 second of the shot clock. Daum gets 30+ again, as they don't have anyone that can stop him.
                  I think what makes the difference is the fact that we have another true scorer on the team in Jenkin Jr, and that we not have another guy who is a complementary scorer in King. This team can now absorb a bad shooting night from Telly or a team triple teaming Daum.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I think that’d be a pretty good bet. Sdsu should win this one as long as they don’t lay an egg.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Mostly realistic comments from the Bison folks.

Most are expecting an SDSU win with some expecting us to cruise. Some are thinking a tight game.

I'm conflicted. I'm confident we are a better team. But throw in road conference game against a rival and I could see this going either way. I'd be surprised if we win by double digits.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        Mostly realistic comments from the Bison folks.

Most are expecting an SDSU win with some expecting us to cruise. Some are thinking a tight game.

I'm conflicted. I'm confident we are a better team. But throw in road conference game against a rival and I could see this going either way. I'd be surprised if we win by double digits.
                        I was taking a peek at their comments and someone posted our best 3 point shooters:

Lane Severyn 12/22 .545
                        Skyler Flatten 22/44 .500

One could argue that Daum, Jenkins, or Telly are better 3 point shooters with much more attempts and only slightly lower averages. But the point is... wow... did we get a new shooting coach in the offseason? Lane's 3 point average going back 3 years has been .286, .276, and .283. I used to cringe when he would pull up for a 3. Flatten has improved as well, with his first year at .283, but at least he followed that up with .460. It's a small sample size at only 22 attempts so far, but Severyn shooting well from deep is a welcome change.

Comment

I feel the Bison have been improving ever since they stopped the Paul Miller at point guard experiment. Wish we could have caught them before they made the change. I think we can get a victory by 5 or so but only if we mix in attacking the rim with the 3 ball. If we fall in love with the jump shot then its anyone's guess.

Comment

I was taking a peek at their comments and someone posted our best 3 point shooters:

Lane Severyn 12/22 .545
                            Skyler Flatten 22/44 .500

One could argue that Daum, Jenkins, or Telly are better 3 point shooters with much more attempts and only slightly lower averages. But the point is... wow... did we get a new shooting coach in the offseason? Lane's 3 point average going back 3 years has been .286, .276, and .283. I used to cringe when he would pull up for a 3. Flatten has improved as well, with his first year at .283, but at least he followed that up with .460. It's a small sample size at only 22 attempts so far, but Severyn shooting well from deep is a welcome change.
                            Factor of picking his spots maybe?

Although we only have 9 players available each one brings value. I'm excited about this team.

Comment

Too lazy to look - is this one on Midco or WatchESPN only?
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                              X