Conference Season 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conference Season 2018

Since the "real" start of the MBB season is on Wednesday, I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone's thoughts are on how it will go as of today. I think we all agree that they are talented enough to go undefeated, but as we all know that probably won't happen.

I would say that more than 2 losses in conference play would be a disappointment to me. USD seems to have a good team again and Western looks to be competitive so those are the two teams I think that will give us the most headaches. I would pencil us in, at worst, as the #2 seed for the tournament.

-South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Conference Season 2018

I feel really good about our chances in all 7 games at Frost but would not be at all surprised if we drop 3 of the 7 road games. USD will obviously be very tough in Vermillion. Fargo is an annual nightmare no matter how good our team is (have we won up there this decade?). FW has the talent to protect their home court if we’re not sharp and a really bad night could end up being a loss at any of the other 4. My money is on 11-3 and a tie for the title. A win on Wednesday will instantly make me second guess the 3-loss prediction.
    Last edited by Southeast; 01-01-2018, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Re: Conference Season 2018

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
      I feel really good about our chances in all 7 games at Frost but would not be at all surprised if we drop 3 of the 7 road games. USD will obviously be very tough in Vermillion. Fargo is an annual nightmare no matter how good our team is (have we win up there this decade?). FW has the talent to protect their home court if we’re not sharp and a really bad night could end up being a loss at any of the other 4. My money is on 11-3 and a tie for the title. A win on Wednesday will instantly make me second guess the 3-loss prediction.
      I was also thinking 11-3. Vermillion and Fargo always seem to be a loss. I think we won up there once with Wolters? I think we've won once in Vermillion since we started playing them again? Does that sound right? We never seem to play well in Denver and IPFW did beat Indiana.

Comment

I'll predict 10-4 because I'm naturally pessimistic.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

The last three wins in SF count the most. Conference record 13-1

Comment

I'll go 10-4, too. One home loss and three on the road. Hopefully that will be good enough for a top two seed in the tourney.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
              I was also thinking 11-3. Vermillion and Fargo always seem to be a loss. I think we won up there once with Wolters? I think we've won once in Vermillion since we started playing them again? Does that sound right? We never seem to play well in Denver and IPFW did beat Indiana.
              Fargo has been bad for the Jacks, Vermillion still not good. Ironically, since the Nate Wolters era, we are a combined 13-13 against NDSU and USD. The Bison have had our number. (While Nate played his freshman year in 2009-10, he was primarily a role player and I didn't count that year in the records. It was also the last year we had a losing record.)

Since the 2011-12 season versus NDSU: 4-3 in Brookings; 1-6 in Fargo (won in 2012)
              Since the 2012-13 season versus USD: 6-0 in Brookings; 2-4 in Vermillion (won in 2014 and 2016)

I still feel we go 3-1 versus those two schools this year, but will have at least one if not two loses where we are off against the rest of the pack. Obviously, the key is to be 3-0 in Sioux Falls in March.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                Fargo has been bad for the Jacks, Vermillion still not good. Ironically, since the Nate Wolters era, we are a combined 13-13 against NDSU and USD. The Bison have had our number. (While Nate played his freshman year in 2009-10, he was primarily a role player and I didn't count that year in the records. It was also the last year we had a losing record.)

Since the 2011-12 season versus NDSU: 4-3 in Brookings; 1-6 in Fargo (won in 2012)
                Since the 2012-13 season versus USD: 6-0 in Brookings; 2-4 in Vermillion (won in 2014 and 2016)

I still feel we go 3-1 versus those two schools this year, but will have at least one if not two loses where we are off against the rest of the pack. Obviously, the key is to be 3-0 in Sioux Falls in March.
                We need to play the games and often the past does not tell the whole story. We won in Vermillion last year and we can again this year. The new facility is more like a neutral court for now, but as time goes on maybe not. I am hopeful for a win in Fargo this year(also a new court). That's why I think a 13=1 finish is not unrealistic.

Comment

The MBB lost in Vermillion last year. Mooney was on fire from outside and the Jackrabbits could not recover quite enough to win. The new arena is sooooo much better for everyone and it gets noisy fast as well.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

13-1.....only one team that can beat us and that's USD. I dont see any other team competing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksstudent View Post
                      13-1.....only one team that can beat us and that's USD. I dont see any other team competing at all.
                      13-1 is a possibility, I hope it happens. However, I would put the chances of the Jacks going 12-0 versus the rest of the Summit minus USD to be somewhere south of 5 %.

Comment

It does not look as anyone has chosen 12-2. I will cover that base. The most important number is #1 or #2 seed, That is the most common number for the winner of the SLT. Tomorrow we will see where the Bison might be in the scrap. They have been as inconsistent as any in the Summit. A Jackrabbit victory in Fargo would always be a good start.

Weekly report MBB
                        http://gojacks.com/news/2018/1/2/men...y-at-ndsu.aspx
                        Last edited by OldHare; 01-02-2018, 03:03 PM.
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Jeez, I want some of the Kool-Aid that some of you guys are drinking!

NDSU always gives us fits. USD IS good. Fort Wayne is talented, and can rise up.

There's a lot of games that are going to be tough. Let's hold serve at Frost arena, and hope for a good seed for the Summit Tournament.

I think we probably have the most talented team, with Daum, Telly, Jenkins, and King... however, the most talented team doesn't always win, especially in college basketball.

Comment

12-2 with a twist. I believe SDSU will sweep that team from SE South Dakota.. Team SESD will not be able to guard Daum. He will have two huge games. There will be two road set backs that will make us all shake our heads. It's conference play. Weird things happen.

Go Rabbits!
                            Last edited by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit; 01-02-2018, 03:42 PM.

Comment

As others have stated, the 3 wins in SXF come March are what matter. Getting a top 2 seed and having a day off would go a long ways to securing that. The Summit will be tough, I think 12-2 is attainable but 10-4 wouldn't be a disappointment either. I think many teams will have a 4 or more losses. This team has come together more quickly than last year. Exciting times!

Comment

Working...
                              X