GDT Jacks in Kansas City Roos-land

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT Jacks in Kansas City Roos-land

AND... Not very good atmosphere, but certainly better than games I've attended at IUPUI (where the driver tried to get me to go to the Butler game instead) and Oral Roberts. I did ask four Roo fans about rejoining the Summit and got one "Should never have left", and three "duhhh?"

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
      AND... Not very good atmosphere, but certainly better than games I've attended at IUPUI (where the driver tried to get me to go to the Butler game instead) and Oral Roberts. I did ask four Roo fans about rejoining the Summit and got one "Should never have left", and three "duhhh?"
      The Roos AD and administration thought the road to the Final 64 was more attainable through the WAC affiliation. They still have not changed the 8-24 type of record to be a serious conference contender as they are picked toward the bottom of the WAC this year. Kansas City was also mentioned as a possible site of the WAC tourney which must still be in the distant future. Northern Colorado or an Illinois school may be better candidates for the Summit and UMKC can wait for a call from the MVC or DII conference. The Roos have not made firm commitments to their programs. The WBB is currently 2-10 playing a decent OOC schedule with wins over lower division opponents.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
        The Roos AD and administration thought the road to the Final 64 was more attainable through the WAC affiliation. They still have not changed the 8-24 type of record to be a serious conference contender as they are picked toward the bottom of the WAC this year. Kansas City was also mentioned as a possible site of the WAC tourney which must still be in the distant future. Northern Colorado or an Illinois school may be better candidates for the Summit and UMKC can wait for a call from the MVC or DII conference. The Roos have not made firm commitments to their programs. The WBB is currently 2-10 playing a decent OOC schedule with wins over lower division opponents.
        With the teams they have had recently, not sure they could compete in the NSIC.

Comment

AND, AND... I was surprised that the game got a mention and video on the Fox affiliate 9 pm news slot. Only way SIUE basketball would get any mention on a Saint Louis outlet would be if somebody shot the place up.

As far as Northern Colorado goes, I think Metro State may be a better fit, although many here will say that would cause Denver to bolt. Metro has to have a better reputation than ORU or Grand Canyon. Being the only game in town would have to be balanced against a local rival. Think Augie and the Coo-- didn't want 'em in the NSIC but it's worked out nicely. Think Metro still has a sucky venue not unlike the Swinney Center, Zoo, or that on campus dump in Fort Wayne.

Comment

AND, AND... I was surprised that the game got a mention and video on the Fox affiliate 9 pm news slot. Only way SIUE basketball would get any mention on a Saint Louis outlet would be if somebody shot the place up.

As far as Northern Colorado goes, I think Metro State may be a better fit, although many here will say that would cause Denver to bolt. Metro has to have a better reputation than ORU or Grand Canyon. Being the only game in town would have to be balanced against a local rival. Think Augie and the Coo-- didn't want 'em in the NSIC but it's worked out nicely. Think Metro still has a sucky venue not unlike the Swinney Center, Zoo, or that on campus dump in Fort Wayne.
            There are likely teams that will surface that would be more competitive and more supportive of their programs. UMKC seems similar to IUPUI in an urban area that has no interest in the athletic programs. The Roos could arrive back into the Summit and commit their travel money into building a program or they could come back to the Summit and keep their interest/investment at the same level. I would expect Douple has had this pass his purview as well as other choices. It would be great if another school is announced around the Summit League Basketball Tourney.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
              There are likely teams that will surface that would be more competitive and more supportive of their programs. UMKC seems similar to IUPUI in an urban area that has no interest in the athletic programs. The Roos could arrive back into the Summit and commit their travel money into building a program or they could come back to the Summit and keep their interest/investment at the same level. I would expect Douple has had this pass his purview as well as other choices. It would be great if another school is announced around the Summit League Basketball Tourney.
              But local media at least covered the game. That wouldn't have happened in Indy. The experience in the Muni Auditorium was much better than the Farmers? Arena, even though the building was less restored. I''ve been to three games at UMKC, two at Swinney, and it was better than IUPUI or ORU, not that that's saying much.

Comment

But local media at least covered the game. That wouldn't have happened in Indy. The experience in the Muni Auditorium was much better than the Farmers? Arena, even though the building was less restored. I''ve been to three games at UMKC, two at Swinney, and it was better than IUPUI or ORU, not that that's saying much.
                Is the reported attendance 1203 appearing to be accurate or ORU type numbers?

Comment

I think it was accurate. I figured roughly a thousand when I was there. Of course my visit to ORU was the day after the Trump/Palin visit so maybe the student body was numbed. Also the Municipal Auditorium is a much more interesting venue than ORU's. No students, but it's before Christmas.

Comment

I think it was accurate. I figured roughly a thousand when I was there. Of course my visit to ORU was the day after the Trump/Palin visit so maybe the student body was numbed. Also the Municipal Auditorium is a much more interesting venue than ORU's. No students, but it's before Christmas.
                    I am glad you got to watch the Jacks in action. As you said, they are the best team to date. Better no doubt than the Iverson era, but then the game has changed plus more AAU activity the year around, so really can't make any comparisons. If we can get by with 8 or 9 players we will be okay.

Going down memory lane, but 1961-1962 was an interesting season. That fall Bob Sheldon was hospitalized with Hodgkins Disease and passed away in the spring of 1962. The boys from Huron went on a midnight ice cream run in the food service and got caught and were suspended for the season, which left a total of 9 players. Sophomores Peterson, Rasmusen, Buri and Bostic really cut their teeth with more playing time, and finished second or third in the 7 team NCC. It was big Terry Slattery and all the sophomore kids, but Jacks managed and won the NC in 1963.

Comment

No to Metro. That would be a worse addition then adding UMKC. Large, commuter, non-traditional, small facilities, and DU would run away... fast. Metro is a D2 school and will/should always be a D2 school.

UNC would be a nice add. DU would need to get used to it, but it is a traditional 4 year University which, if they are winning, will draw.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                        No to Metro. That would be a worse addition then adding UMKC. Large, commuter, non-traditional, small facilities, and DU would run away... fast. Metro is a D2 school and will/should always be a D2 school.

UNC would be a nice add. DU would need to get used to it, but it is a traditional 4 year University which, if they are winning, will draw.
                        Especially after that game at frost with Metro where I think they fouled Derek Schantz on the last play off the game and would have had free throws to tie and win the game but refs didn't see a foul. There was some soph from austraila or something on that team who wasn't a big scoring threat and went for over 30 that game I think. Never having to play metro again is just fine with me.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post

I really wonder if Metro is even thinking D1. Right now they seem to be very comfortable in the RMAC and their travel budget seems to work very much in their favor. The coach with the Austrialian connection, Mike Dunlap is long gone. He is now coach at Loyola Marymount in California. He could use a few Aussies at Marymount, where he has not done that great.

Comment

Working...
                          X