Time to reinforce roster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to reinforce roster?

The Jacks are a solid nine players deep, and all nine are all good contributors. Is that going to be enough players to get through the conference and tourney schedule? With only nine active players, at least one starter will always have to be on the floor, regardless of the score. With Beau Brown injured and Dallas Polk-Hilliard gone, it might be time to activate and start playing one of the four true freshmen who apparently are being redshirted. Is one of those guys ready to go?
    This space for lease.

Re: Time to reinforce roster?

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    The Jacks are a solid nine players deep, and all nine are all good contributors. Is that going to be enough players to get through the conference and tourney schedule? With only nine active players, at least one starter will always have to be on the floor, regardless of the score. With Beau Brown injured and Dallas Polk-Hilliard gone, it might be time to activate and start playing one of the four true freshmen who apparently are being redshirted. Is one of those guys ready to go?
    Yes I am sure this is on Otz's mind pulling a red shirt.

Comment

The good news with the situation is that there are enough redshirt players around that are healthy enough to provide good practices..
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Might be hard to ask someone to give up a year now for what would be a minor role probably. Unless we are in a total blow out either way some of the starters are probably going to be in the game at the end regardless of the score. injury might change that but I would think this team is getting into a groove and once conference season starts should be good with 9 man rotation. it will be guys like flatten and severyn who will probably get a few more minutes that brown and DPH would have had at the end of games.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

There are many teams that do just fine with an 8 or 9 player rotation. If the Jacks can avoid injuries, they should be fine. During this time of year, you also have to worry about illness. If 2 or 3 players catch the flu bug, do you try and play with 6 or 7, or do you pull redshirts for only a few games ? Hopefully everyone is taking their vitamins and drinking lots of OJ.

Comment

I'd guess we may start seeing one or two of the freshman dress, but they won't play unless it's an emergency.

9 players seems like a short bench, but how often do you seen 10+ guys play significant minutes? I'd think it's rare.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              I'd guess we may start seeing one or two of the freshman dress, but they won't play unless it's an emergency.

9 players seems like a short bench, but how often do you seen 10+ guys play significant minutes? I'd think it's rare.
              I agree with oldhare that having enough to practice is probably more important then actually available for the game. a lot of schools only have a 7 or 8 rotation with meaningful minutes. Say, if Howell or flatten or severyn. that would be harder to replace. with DPH and Brown not available, we have the last 2 guys on the bench not available. not a huge loss of anything meaningful.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Outside of a major multi-injury scenario any RS freshmen would only be playing a few minutes a game so I don't see why you would need to rush out an put one on the court now. Ride it out and see what happens. Most years we only count on 7 guys by March anyway.

The one thing that makes me question this strategy is that there's the potential this team might be something really special and it might be our last year with Daum. In that case, do whatever it takes to get us to the NCAA's!

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                  Outside of a major multi-injury scenario any RS freshmen would only be playing a few minutes a game so I don't see why you would need to rush out an put one on the court now. Ride it out and see what happens. Most years we only count on 7 guys by March anyway.

The one thing that makes me question this strategy is that there's the potential this team might be something really special and it might be our last year with Daum. In that case, do whatever it takes to get us to the NCAA's!
                  I think pulling any of the redshirts would be a waste of a year at this point. I guess I didn't see anything in the exhibition that would have convinced me that we would be going much deeper than 9. The emergence of King as a viable PG and scoring threat made the decision much easier. I also think that had any of the planned redshirts looked ready to make an impact they would have been pulled as soon as Hillard left.

I have always been a fan that doesn't question red-shirting because the decision is made, with much more info than is available to me, by the staff and the player. I always go back to what the staff said about Daum needing that red-shirt year to really get acclimated to the D1 game.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post

This. The fact that Otz already decided to redshirt them makes me think he's gonna commit to that decision unless there's an obvious need. On the other hand the football team took the opposite route at the beginning of the year in hopes of going all in. But this is different.

Comment

9 guys, all who have a solid role on the team, is enough.

Comment

Did anybody else notice in the ESPN article about Mike daum that the team at ate at Carnival the night before the Missouri State game. I think we found the reason for their lackluster performance. #meatsweats

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

If the Jacks are ever fortunate enough to enjoy a 25-point lead late in a game, it would be nice to rest all five starters. Also, I'm not sure that investing three or four scholarships on guys who don't play is the most productive use of roster spots. We'll see, I guess.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

If the Jacks are ever fortunate enough to enjoy a 25-point lead late in a game, it would be nice to rest all five starters. Also, I'm not sure that investing three or four scholarships on guys who don't play is the most productive use of roster spots. We'll see, I guess.
                            I really don't get this comment. How many times in our DI history have the 10th, 11th, 12th, etc. players on the depth chart played meaningful minutes?

Would you rather none of our freshman redshirt and play garbage time minutes? If Nagy had taken this approach with Daum he'd be a senior this year and from all indications wouldn't have played much if at all his freshman year.

Player development is such a big part of mid-major basketball. SDSU isn't going to recruit 4 freshman every year that are ready to play at this level.

Comment

I don't know how often (outside of programs like AJ's women's teams) that you ever really see five non-starters out on the court together . . . almost all the time, there's one starter out there to make sure the wheels don't fall completely off with the end-of-the-bench guys.

I'm sure it happens, but it's got to be (again apart from AJ) exceedingly rare.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X