Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time to reinforce roster?

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
    Well, we had a 6’9” big who coach didn’t seem to want who is now averaging nearly 10 ppg as a redshirt freshman for Wright State. Think coach blew it on that one.
    I watched half of a Wright State game out of boredom one day. Love looked decent, but not sure he isn't more of a fit in a half court game versus the style TJ wants to utilize. Also, wasnt Jenkins Jr our last scholarship add this year? If Love is on the roster do we get DJJ?

Comment

6-8 Logan Doyle might have helped with depth this year. After sitting on the bench for three seasons with the Jacks, he transferred to Northern last year and promptly became an all-conference player.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        After Polk-Hilliard left, that scholarship should go to Dentlinger who I believe was paying his own way this year. We know 3 players are graduating, with Flatten up in the air depending on if he tries to get another year. We've signed three, so a 4th scholarship opening up would depend on what Flatten does.
        I believe I heard Dentlinger is on a full academic scholarship already. Kid is border-line genius supposedly.
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
          I believe I heard Dentlinger is on a full academic scholarship already. Kid is border-line genius supposedly.
          Can he stay on that when he becomes eligible ?

Comment

Yes, he can. And this would basically give the MBB program another scholly to offer out which is a pretty big benefit. What I don't know is if we can offer him COA on top of his academic money and him not count toward our 13 schollys.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
              That indeed is very impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                Yes, he can. And this would basically give the MBB program another scholly to offer out which is a pretty big benefit. What I don't know is if we can offer him COA on top of his academic money and him not count toward our 13 schollys.
                I might be wrong, but I was of the impression that an athlete on any type of scholarship counts against the maximum. Otherwise, donors could fund a couple of academic schollys to help recruit players. I guess rules could prevent that. Or at least try to.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Seems like we have discussed this before. Seems like we had a similar situation with a Sulley-Buttes athlete, I thinking his name was Yackley.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Seems like we have discussed this before. Seems like we had a similar situation with a Sulley-Buttes athlete, I thinking his name was Yackley.
                    I think you're right.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

there are issues with scholarships for athletes who want to do 2 sports. was heemstra on scholarship for basketball? because that wouldn't count against baseball as I understood it. but he couldn't get a baseball scholarship because it would still count against basketball. I forget the priority of what sports it is. but some scholarships count against one but not both if a 2 sport athlete as far as I understood it. things maybe have changed since then.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                        I think you're right.
                        There have been many changes since that time, so maybe a discussion is long overdue.

Comment

I didn't search long but found some conflicting info:

This states academic money doesn't count toward the scholly limits JUST in the freshman year - and only if they meet certain academic criteria:

http://www.diycollegerankings.com/ca...larships/6267/

This states academic money, unless it is need based or institutional (Pell grant type), will still count against limits in head count sports (which basketball and football are):

https://www.athleticscholarships.net...hletes-aid.htm

Based on this I'm not sure we can say with certainty that his academic scholly doesn't count toward our limits.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                            I didn't search long but found some conflicting info:

This states academic money doesn't count toward the scholly limits JUST in the freshman year - and only if they meet certain academic criteria:

http://www.diycollegerankings.com/ca...larships/6267/

This states academic money, unless it is need based or institutional (Pell grant type), will still count against limits in head count sports (which basketball and football are):

https://www.athleticscholarships.net...hletes-aid.htm

Based on this I'm not sure we can say with certainty that his academic scholly doesn't count toward our limits.
                            I'm guessing there is a way to provide academic aid and not have it count. Duke and many other P5 schools have a slew of walk-ons. These kids never play except for maybe the last 30 seconds of a blowout. I have to imagine those kids especially at the more prestigious academic schools are on academic scholarships. Maybe not full but partial.

Ivy league schools don't give "athletic scholarships" correct?

Comment

Looks like Polk-Hilliard is headed to Grambling.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                                Looks like Polk-Hilliard is headed to Grambling.
                                I believe as a walk-on according to http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/grambling-state

Comment

Working...
                                X