Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Time to reinforce roster?

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
    I believe as a walk-on according to http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/grambling-state
    Possibly for just a semester, much like a George Marshall situation?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      Possibly for just a semester, much like a George Marshall situation?
      My guess (and it's just a guess) He will join Grambling at semester, and be eligible to play 2nd semester next year. However since he only has 1 year of eligibility he might choose to sit out and play an entire year the following.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        My guess (and it's just a guess) He will join Grambling at semester, and be eligible to play 2nd semester next year. However since he only has 1 year of eligibility he might choose to sit out and play an entire year the following.
        Wouldn't he be eligible second semester next season, plus the entire next season, since he has never redshirted ?

Comment

Did anyone else notice how bad the SWAC was this OOC season?

Here are the records against D-1 opponents.

Gramblimg 3-9
          Southern 2-9
          Prairie View A@M 2-11
          Jackson State 1-10
          Alcorn State 0-9
          Alabama State 0-12
          Texas Southern 0-13
          Miss. Valley State 0-13
          Alabama A@M 0-13
          Arkansas Pine Bluff 0-14

Yep, that's right... 8-113. That right there is the reason the Power 5's want all the low and mid majors out of the Big Dance.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            Wouldn't he be eligible second semester next season, plus the entire next season, since he has never redshirted ?
            My assumption would be that he could play beginning next year's 2nd Semester and have 1.5 years of eligibility. Or he could sit out all of next year and have two years following that.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post

Gramblimg 3-9
              Southern 2-9
              Prairie View A@M 2-11
              Jackson State 1-10
              Alcorn State 0-9
              Alabama State 0-12
              Texas Southern 0-13
              Miss. Valley State 0-13
              Alabama A@M 0-13
              Arkansas Pine Bluff 0-14

Yep, that's right... 8-113. That right there is the reason the Power 5's want all the low and mid majors out of the Big Dance.
              The power 5's want all the low and mid majors out of the big dance because of $$$$$!

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                The power 5's want all the low and mid majors out of the big dance because of $$$$$!
                The problem is the big dance wouldn't be what it is without them. I'm fairly sure ratings would suffer if it was all P5 teams. I know I would be less interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                  Yes, and a team with a losing will be taking some of their money.

Comment

Well when Nagy was here we use to have a 9 man rotation in the OOC and then when conference play started he would shorten the rotation to 7. So that is basically what is happening now, so having 9 on the bench is plenty and we can absorb 2 injuries or suspensions.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post

Gramblimg 3-9
                      Southern 2-9
                      Prairie View A@M 2-11
                      Jackson State 1-10
                      Alcorn State 0-9
                      Alabama State 0-12
                      Texas Southern 0-13
                      Miss. Valley State 0-13
                      Alabama A@M 0-13
                      Arkansas Pine Bluff 0-14

Historically black schools have many budget problems and play many money games with whoever is willing to schedule. Grambling played Iowa and USED this year. There was a pay check for both games no doubt. Prairie View whose web page celebrates the induction of Zelmo Beatty into the small college hall of fame went on to play in the NBA, and they also lost to SDSU in the 1961 regional in the Barn. I did not see that game, but was told that Prairie View found the fan noise intimidating plus the playing of Don Jacobsen, Denny Busch, Bob Shelden and Terry Slattery was more than what they could handle. No longer do Zelmo Beatties show up at PVAM, but do show up at Texas or Texas A&M. So their rosters do not include big names nor to they even play as well as they did in the days of segregation.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                        Well when Nagy was here we use to have a 9 man rotation in the OOC and then when conference play started he would shorten the rotation to 7. So that is basically what is happening now, so having 9 on the bench is plenty and we can absorb 2 injuries or suspensions.
                        This.

SDSU's top 5 MPG guys are 30, 30, 27, 27, & 22
                        USD's top 5 MPG guys are 31, 30, 25, 24, & 19

In the Western game, 9 Coyotes got minutes - 8 of them had double digit minutes played and one had 5.

Edit: Had the MPG totals switched
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                          As long as the injured's initials aren't MD.

Comment

I guess I'm just not ok with the 7 man rotation. I mean one of the big keys to our visit to the dance last year was Howell, and now he isn't even good enough to get on the court? My guess is something is going on behind the scenes, but doesn't mean I have to like that a quality player that makes us better is wasting away on our bench.

I've always felt best when a team has an 8-9 person rotation during the season and come closer to the end then you can start shrinking it down. I like guys having fresher legs come tourney time. Plus, do we really trust the Thiesen's ankles are going to survive another half+ season?

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                              I guess I'm just not ok with the 7 man rotation. I mean one of the big keys to our visit to the dance last year was Howell, and now he isn't even good enough to get on the court? My guess is something is going on behind the scenes, but doesn't mean I have to like that a quality player that makes us better is wasting away on our bench.

I've always felt best when a team has an 8-9 person rotation during the season and come closer to the end then you can start shrinking it down. I like guys having fresher legs come tourney time. Plus, do we really trust the Thiesen's ankles are going to survive another half+ season?
                              Howell is averaging 14 minutes per game this season. Last year he average just over 16. I'm not sure why he didn't play against NDSU, but I'm not going to say he's wasting away on our bench just yet. Now if he sits the next couple I may agree.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post

Idk... Howell was needed last year to add a scoring spark. Jenkins provides that and has the ability to score more than Howell did. He'll be needed throughout the regular season, but he might end up being the odd man out when it comes to a short rotation. Especially when Flatten and Severyn are playing as well as they are.

Comment

Working...
                                X