Per Nebraska.....SDSU has scheduled three games against the Huskers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Per Nebraska.....SDSU has scheduled three games against the Huskers

I think it is great we are getting a chance to play Nebraska again. According to Sam McKeon of the Omaha World Herald on his twitter account (@swmckewonOWH) we are getting the following payout:

"Payouts for future home games:

SDSU: $515,000, $530,000 and $575,000

UND: $515,000, $560,000

Ga Southern: $1.423 million

All details on deals worked out before Bill Moos arrived at Nebraska."

Interesting that all of this seems to have been done before their new AD Moos was in place. We are getting paid better than the last two, Thought it was interesting that former FCS foe Georgia Southern was getting $1.423 million to make a trip to Lincoln.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

FBS payouts are typically in that range. Glad to see we are getting paid better as that was a point of contention with me in the past.

Comment

Part of me understands the reason for the payouts, we need them for budget, great exposure etc. But I hate that it is a road game every year that means we have less chances for home games. I know we complain about late season attendance, but having 6 home games a year should be a huge priority. To create the culture of SDSU football, playing as many winnable games at home I think builds that culture a bit more then going to play the huskers which will almost certainly be a loss. However they are games we went to before and might go to again so that's a plus we can go since they are close.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          Part of me understands the reason for the payouts, we need them for budget, great exposure etc. But I hate that it is a road game every year that means we have less chances for home games. I know we complain about late season attendance, but having 6 home games a year should be a huge priority. To create the culture of SDSU football, playing as many winnable games at home I think builds that culture a bit more then going to play the huskers which will almost certainly be a loss. However they are games we went to before and might go to again so that's a plus we can go since they are close.
          Who says we still can't have 6 home games? We have 3 OOC games every year. FBS games are on the road. The other two could be home games. I know it is difficult to always have them be home games but it is possible.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            Who says we still can't have 6 home games? We have 3 OOC games every year. FBS games are on the road. The other two could be home games. I know it is difficult to always have them be home games but it is possible.
            yes, but if most deals are going to be home and away. or 2 for 1s. its an uphill battle for sure. I would guess we wouldn't not get many takers to come for 1 game or only games in Brookings. Most FCS will want home and way or at best 2 for 1. if its a 12 game schedule its not nearly as much of an issue.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

yes, but if most deals are going to be home and away. or 2 for 1s. its an uphill battle for sure. I would guess we wouldn't not get many takers to come for 1 game or only games in Brookings. Most FCS will want home and way or at best 2 for 1. if its a 12 game schedule its not nearly as much of an issue.
              Well, I guess if I were doing it, I would use the FBS payoff to pay a smaller school to come in.
              With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Meh. I'll give up a home game cupcake to play an FBS team, especially Nebraska 3 times where I'll be able to go to them.

Comment

Another benefit to playing Nebraska is that beating them would turn heads in our core fan/recruiting area as much as virtually any other school in the country. Personally, there's no other team I'd like to see us beat more than the Huskers and there's no guarantee they are going to return to top-10 glory.

Also, the kids who are going to be playing in that 2028 game are currently going to recess with other 4th and 5th graders. Pretty crazy when you think about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                    Another benefit to playing Nebraska is that beating them would turn heads in our core fan/recruiting area as much as virtually any other school in the country. Personally, there's no other team I'd like to see us beat more than the Huskers and there's no guarantee they are going to return to top-10 glory.

Also, the kids who are going to be playing in that 2028 game are currently going to recess with other 4th and 5th graders. Pretty crazy when you think about it.
                    I most likely will be pushing up daises when 2028 rolls around. I will be 87 years young and broke.

Comment

to the big ten 12 and sec of the world, anything FCS is a cupcake. that's how they view it. as I am sure most of their fans do.
                      The reality is your average joe power 5 FBS fan is completely ignorant of the majority of college football. Honestly a lot of them likely don’t know the difference between a FCS team like us and a low level Sunbelt team if they didn’t have a beat writer tell them we are a different division or have a national talk show host rail against the schedule for Alabama. It is what it is and we as FCS fans in general tend to have the same attitude towards low level OOC games vs non DI or even Pioneer games. It is what it is and it’s part of why it’s so fun to knock them off or to put a scare into them.
                      It’s a similar predicament for pretty much any FBS or FCS power programs. To schedule a quality program you are going to have to play a home and home with them and to get a smaller program to come to you you will have to pay them. It’s the same for NDSU except now they aren’t getting FBS games and their fans aren’t happy.

For schools like NEC programs I don’t like the body bag games but for programs like ours (top 10 FCS) FBS games are a great opportunity to get a large paycheck and to get some great exposure nationally with an upset, or even giving a big time school a scare. There’s definitely places we can use the money as an athletic department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

My only concern with playing good FBS teams (not that Nebraska is good right now) vs cupcakes is the higher chance of losing. With wins being at such a premium and playing in the MVFC, those likely wins against cupcakes at the beginning of the year sure help in getting us to the win total needed to make the playoffs or being a seed. That being said, the money is great for the athletic department and I love watching the Jacks play in Lincoln.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
                          My only concern with playing good FBS teams (not that Nebraska is good right now) vs cupcakes is the higher chance of losing. With wins being at such a premium and playing in the MVFC, those likely wins against cupcakes at the beginning of the year sure help in getting us to the win total needed to make the playoffs or being a seed. That being said, the money is great for the athletic department and I love watching the Jacks play in Lincoln.
                          The committee usually doesn't punish teams that have an FBS loss compared to a cupcake win. If we have a strong resume at 6-5 with an FBS loss, we could get still get in, the committee has shown they're willing to put 6 win MVFC teams in. However, I would argue that if we can't get to 7 wins, even playing in the MVFC, then we didn't deserve to make the playoffs anyway and wouldn't have done much damage if we did make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
                            I look at it a little differently.
                            If any team is 5-3 in the MVFC, they will get in.
                            If you are 4-4 in the conference, they still have a decent chance to get in with a loss to Nebraska and 2 other good wins. If they play 2 NAIA (example) teams and they don't go 5-3, they have no chance to get into the playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post

You don’t have Frost Fever? They are all convinced that national prominence is guaranteed with his return.

LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                                You don’t have Frost Fever? They are all convinced that national prominence is guaranteed with his return.

Not a big Husker fan but the future is much brighter than what the past 15 years have brought. I'm willing to say that we won't look forward to playing them in 2024. He is already doing things that will impact the program and potentially some of our recruiting in Nebraska. Just this week he hosted 40 kids trying to revitalize the walkon program. He got a handful of commits that night. Our LB commit from Gretna was there listening to what he had to offer. National prominance ? Probably not. Last in their division? Definitely not.

Comment

Working...
                                X