Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Outdoor v Indoor football

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
    The Alerus Center was built by the city of Grand Forks (population 53,000+, metro population 98,000+). The FargoDome was built by the city of Fargo (yeh, many more people).
    Brookings has a population of 23,000, and metro area of about 30,000. There is no comparison that would have allowed SDSU (and/or Brookings) to build a 19,300 seat indoor dome (cost at least twice the $65 million for DJD). We have $40 million in bonds to pay off for DJD, and if you think our ticket prices are pretty hefty now, quit thinking or discussing a dome for SDSU.
    I thought we could make a comparison with Stillwater Oklahoma, but google shows about 78k in metro population, we have a very generous Jerry Lohr, but no Boone Pickens among our alums. That would help if we had one.
    In 1997 GF was nearly destroyed with a flood. With the congressional delegation and the POTUS of the same party, there was a ton of fed money floating around GF and this resource may have help GF in building the Alerus. I don’t have any supporting details but I suspect some low cost financing was used to build the facility. Yes, we do have challenge ahead with retirement of the bonds. The club seating arrangement is reasonable and am glad I took advantage of it. Cutting ticket prices is not an option and we have to work getting the attendance up for playoff games in December.
    Last edited by Nidaros; 12-14-2017, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UND92 View Post
      The Alerus Center is not just a football arena, it is used for many other things throughout the year. We had over 22,000 for a Cher concert and other concerts have had 12,000-15,000. It is used for Conventions, Farm shows, Basketball games and other shows. In GF we had a 50 year old Civic Center that would hold 4,000 max, so the Alerus was a nice upgrade. Not sure if Brookings has a need for a building like that or maybe already has one, but in Gf it was a nice upgrade and allow the City to compete with other cities in the state for large conventions, concerts, etc. If it was only for football it would never have been built.
      We have the Swifter Center for smaller concerts, smaller Conventions and basketball games(no farm shows in Brookings). It only hold about half of what the Alerus Center holds but it works for Brookings. We held the Jacks Bash as an opening concert for the DJD Stadium but evidentially most/all of the big name concerts in Brookings are supposed to be held at the Swifter Center. I guess for big name concerts we have too travel 55 miles to Sioux falls.

Comment

[QUOTE=91jack;324289]Earlier in this thread I wrote that SDSU averaged 13,808/game this season(during the regular season) with an outdoor stadium. I know the NDSU game helps but it still was the attendance. We either play NDSU or USD as one of our last 2 games of the season. That keeps the attendance up for most of the season. That is already more fans that how many fans that would fit in either your stadium or the Dakotadome. I wonder if we will play UND in November, too, would that will help the attendance even more.

Added later--
        Not to rehash this but I read what Zimmer wrote about SDSU not being intimidated playing at James Madison.
        He wrote, "SDSU has yet to develop a strong home field advantage in their new stadium (largely because they struggle to fill it)".
        I find that funny. Should SDSU build a 12,500 seat stadium so the can fill it their first year to have a home field advantage? I understand that the team will play better with more fans but we already have more fans in attendance than USD or UND but since it's not a sellout we can't have a home field advantage? Some of the fans that showed up for the games (especially NDSU) might not be diehard fans so that might hurt the environment, too. Maybe we need a dome so we can have fewer fans and the team will think that there are more there because it should be louder.
        Sorry about the rant but I found that really interesting.

Comment

[QUOTE=91jack;324523]
          Originally posted by 91jack View Post
          Earlier in this thread I wrote that SDSU averaged 13,808/game this season(during the regular season) with an outdoor stadium. I know the NDSU game helps but it still was the attendance. We either play NDSU or USD as one of our last 2 games of the season. That keeps the attendance up for most of the season. That is already more fans that how many fans that would fit in either your stadium or the Dakotadome. I wonder if we will play UND in November, too, would that will help the attendance even more.

Added later--
          Not to rehash this but I read what Zimmer wrote about SDSU not being intimidated playing at James Madison.
          He wrote, "SDSU has yet to develop a strong home field advantage in their new stadium (largely because they struggle to fill it)".
          I find that funny. Should SDSU build a 12,500 seat stadium so the can fill it their first year to have a home field advantage? I understand that the team will play better with more fans but we already have more fans in attendance than USD or UND but since it's not a sellout we can't have a home field advantage? Some of the fans that showed up for the games (especially NDSU) might not be diehard fans so that might hurt the environment, too. Maybe we need a dome so we can have fewer fans and the team will think that there are more there because it should be louder.
          I thought it was interesting as well but I liked it. Hopefully it will light a fire under some of our fans and get them to more games.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
            Added later--
            I feel like the guy tries to get in any little jab he can about SDSU, fans, and stadiums.

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
              I feel like the guy tries to get in any little jab he can about SDSU, fans, and stadiums.
              Zimmer tells it like it is.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                Zimmer tells it like it is.
                Exactly. Nothing he said was inaccurate. We don't need to be sensitive.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                  Exactly. Nothing he said was inaccurate. We don't need to be sensitive.
                  Not a Stu Whitney

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Not a Stu Whitney
                    Definitely, particularly when Zimmer also characterized the Jacks' facilities as probably the best in the FCS

Comment

Working...
                    X