Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Outdoor v Indoor football

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    I think we still would have CAS if not for the engineering study that numbered day left for its usage. I applaud all our efforts in replacing CAS with DJD. The biggest anti-dome sentiment comes from our careful observation of USD and the Dakota Dome. It like many big projects in S.D. underfunded. Look north, we have a great Town and Gown project called the FargoDome. Then a few miles north, the Alerus Center thanks to rebuilding from horrible 1997 flood. That leaves SDSU literally out in the cold. It looks like that is our future like it or not. We have no Warren Buffets.
    Being the in the press box at CAS on a windy day was terrifying. CAS had admirably served it's purpose and laid the ground work, both figuratively and literally, for DJD. We have a very unique footprint in our area with a beautiful outdoor stadium. A think that a dome would have greatly homogenized that whole area. It is a great cornerstone to a stunning north east side of campus.

Perhaps season ticket holders should receive a pair of Jacks mittens, scarf, and stocking cap when they renew their tickets. And anyone who has tickets for 5+ years should get a Jackrabbit parka. I'm joking...I think...
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
      Dome would've run upwards of $115 million and that would've been at 15,000 capacity. There isn't nearly enough need for the city of Brookings to cost share that for concert lineups that do well but won't hit 15K. Nevermind the cost to maintain a dome. This stadium is expandable, God willing the fan base grows. You're locked in with a dome...keep buying stock in Hot Hands and praying that the deep December home field post season runs continue. I know of at least 3 recruits that said playing outdoors in the cold was another deciding factor in coming here. If you want to play on Sunday's you better have experience playing in the elements.
      I don't think there is much to argue about if a dome would have cost $50 million more and been 4,000+ smaller.
      SDSU's average attendance this year was 11,951/game. That includes the playoffs.
      SDSU averaged 13,808/game during the regular season. It isn't a good sign if you have almost 14,000 fans there and your stadium only holds 15,000 in year two of a new stadium.
      Of course, if SDSU built an indoor stadium, they would have not have an indoor practice facility so that would have been over half of the $50 million.

Sam Houston State only had 5,723 fans at their quarter final game so we had about the same attendance as them even though they play much further south. I don't know what temp's they had down there though.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
        I don't think there is much to argue about if a dome would have cost $50 million more and been 4,000+ smaller.
        SDSU's average attendance this year was 11,951/game. That includes the playoffs.
        SDSU averaged 13,808/game during the regular season. It isn't a good sign if you have almost 14,000 fans there and your stadium only holds 15,000 in year two of a new stadium.
        Of course, if SDSU built an indoor stadium, they would have not have an indoor practice facility so that would have been over half of the $50 million.

Sam Houston State only had 5,723 fans at their quarter final game so we had about the same attendance as them even though they play much further south. I don't know what temp's they had down there though.
        I think that it is just changing the culture. Will that ever happen? Who knows. SDSU is still a basketball school at heart. It would be interesting to see how many fans have season tickets to a combo of football and MBB/WBB. I bet a majority of them that do would only want to make one trip. Perhaps in the future we schedule MBB/WBB games on playoff weekends so that fans can get two games in one trip.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          Being the in the press box at CAS on a windy day was terrifying. CAS had admirably served it's purpose and laid the ground work, both figuratively and literally, for DJD. We have a very unique footprint in our area with a beautiful outdoor stadium. A think that a dome would have greatly homogenized that whole area. It is a great cornerstone to a stunning north east side of campus.

Perhaps season ticket holders should receive a pair of Jacks mittens, scarf, and stocking cap when they renew their tickets. And anyone who has tickets for 5+ years should get a Jackrabbit parka. I'm joking...I think...
          I never had a reason to darken the door of the press box of CAS and perhaps I am fortunate. What really surprised me was the lack of resistance in building DJD. In the 1960's, with the Great Depression, still fresh in many adult minds, they really fought the idea of a Stadium for State. Though it was badly needed, the initial plans were described More Ohio State than South Dakota State. Different era different thoughts. Great support this time around. Like I have said, its too late to think dome now and if we had, it still would have be a work in progress, with the high price tag of 115-130 million. Lots of money that no one has. I got plenty of priority points but really dont care for parka or gloves thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Comment

I think that it is just changing the culture. Will that ever happen? Who knows. SDSU is still a basketball school at heart. It would be interesting to see how many fans have season tickets to a combo of football and MBB/WBB. I bet a majority of them that do would only want to make one trip. Perhaps in the future we schedule MBB/WBB games on playoff weekends so that fans can get two games in one trip.
            A great idea, but with ESPN controlling the game times it gets complicated. We could have been playing on Friday or Saturday night this past weekend. Sunday afternoon basketball would be the only safe spot to schedule. Week prior had a WBB game v. #4 ranked team in the country on Sunday afternoon.

Comment

I've heard this basketball school deal brought up many times and quite frankly if we are such a basketball school why isn't our attendance much higher than it is?

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                I've heard this basketball school deal brought up many times and quite frankly if we are such a basketball school why isn't our attendance much higher than it is?
                it seems our basketball attendance was much better when we were D-2. maybe its just my perception though.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

we avg 3400-4000 the last few years of D-2. our first year D 1 was brutal. It was 1600ish if I remember. the wolters years seemed like the attendance was getting better. I remember the early years with the womens team like when USC came to town and a few other games were sell outs or dang near. like those first WNIT games.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    we avg 3400-4000 the last few years of D-2. our first year D 1 was brutal. It was 1600ish if I remember. the wolters years seemed like the attendance was getting better. I remember the early years with the womens team like when USC came to town and a few other games were sell outs or dang near. like those first WNIT games.
                    Times are a changing. We have had more success than we could of hoped for and yet attendance has flat lined. The SLT is very well attended but I guarantee there are many Jacks fans there that do not go to a single home game.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      it seems our basketball attendance was much better when we were D-2. maybe its just my perception though.
                      When we were D2 the opposing teams were from universities and colleges a car ride away.

Comment

Times are a changing. We have had more success than we could of hoped for and yet attendance has flat lined. The SLT is very well attended but I guarantee there are many Jacks fans there that do not go to a single home game.
                        SLT is an event...the "place to be" that weekend. A home football game is not a destination...yet

Comment

I think times are just changing.

1) Games on TV- Why spend a lot of money and get cold when I can just watch the game for free in my recliner?
                          2) Not as many doubleheaders- If I live in Sioux Falls can I get to Brookings 2 or 3 times a week for four months straight?
                          3) Cost- When SDSU was DII you could probably go to a doubleheader cheaper than a single game at the prices they are today. Add into that a $4.50 hot dog and other stuff if you have a family it just adds up quickly. I don't think we ever had to pay for parking or walk 1/4 mile either.
                          4) Family- If you have kids, they start playing ball themselves in the 2nd grade so you follow/coach them instead of going to SDSU games or do whatever the kids wants to do.
                          5) Students- They just don't seem to care like they did in the DII days. I don't know why but they just don't show up or if they show up, they just aren't into the game like they used to be.

There are many other reasons but these are just a few that pop into my head instantly.

I think we still have a much better following for our teams that a lot of Mid-major teams but we expect DII crowds because they used to be the norm.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                            I think times are just changing.

1) Games on TV- Why spend a lot of money and get cold when I can just watch the game for free in my recliner?

5) Students- They just don't seem to care like they did in the DII days. I don't know why but they just don't show up or if they show up, they just aren't into the game like they used to be.
                            These two seem to be the two that jump out to me the most. When I was at SDSU in the mid 90s if you wanted to see a Jacks game you have to head to the arena/stadium. I can almost guarantee that had there been a Cubby's my attendance would have been hurt. It is just so much easier to watch the game at home or at a restaurant. Parking, food/drink costs, and just general comfort are better at almost any other place but around a game. Add to that the fact that people just sometimes don't like sitting in one place for a couple hours and you have your attendance issues...

Comment

I am 3 hours away and it is hard to get to a lot of BB games. I do have season tickets the past two years for FB and really like it when there are more than one event to go to when I make the 3 hour drive. I was there (and stayed all game) for Hobo Day and been at every game this year. It was a blast this past weekend, just wished more people were at the game. I don't have the correct answer for more attendance and would like to hear anyone else's ideas on raising attendance at the FB games.

Comment

Originally posted by oilcan View Post
                                I am 3 hours away and it is hard to get to a lot of BB games. I do have season tickets the past two years for FB and really like it when there are more than one event to go to when I make the 3 hour drive. I was there (and stayed all game) for Hobo Day and been at every game this year. It was a blast this past weekend, just wished more people were at the game. I don't have the correct answer for more attendance and would like to hear anyone else's ideas on raising attendance at the FB games.
                                I think it would be nice to incentivize season ticket holders with extra priority points if they buy playoff tickets.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X