Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Know your foe - James Madison University

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    It's going to sound astoundingly dumb, but I don't think our chances on Saturday rest on Dallas playing or not playing. It's all going to come down to stopping the run.
    Agree completely. Goedert is a huge help, but TC and our offensive/defensive line play is going to decide our fate.

Comment

Watching the JMU Weber game finally (I had to work during their game) and a couple of observations.
      1) please god don’t give us these announcers. Not sure they’ve ever announced anything before this, let alone football. Just hard to listen to.

2) JMU really, really reminds me of NDSU in how they play and are built. They look to run and control the game with that, it’s just from a spread look to run read option. They are good at it too. They may have had a close game with Weber, but they certainly moved the ball. Had a few big runs.

3) Schor seems to be Easton Stick who runs more, is better at the read option, and has a serious tendency to lock onto his first read. Laser focused on that one route.

4) They have really, really good defensive backs. That’s going to be fun to watch to see how our guys handle this. Thankfully we’ve played some pretty stout defenses, so some physical dbacks shouldn’t rattle us (I hope).

5) Based off of 2 & 3 I’m guessing we see a similar strategy to our NDSU matchups where we stop the run and try to make their qb beat us through the air. All this being said I don’t feel great about this game with how our matchups against NDSU always seem to go in the playoffs, and JMU sure looks like a purple version. We need to jump up early and make Schor beat us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Know your foe - James Madison University

Into the second half and I still haven’t seen Schor look or throw to the opposite side of the field from his first read. He looks at the defense, sees the route he thinks will be there and focuses in.

Edit: The Dukes also started to lose some composure when the game was tight and they got down. If we jump on them early they could get real chippy.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

When we score first we are 11-0.
          When the other team scores first we are 0-2 with 2 not so good losses.
          When we score a touchdown on our opening drive we are 8-0 with 7 of the wins by double digit margins (Montana State). The average margin of victory is around 22 points.
          When we score first but not a touchdown or on the opening drive we are 3-0 with 2 wins of 3 points (USD and ISUr) and the 15 point win over UNI.
          I will feel pretty good about things if we can take the opening kickoff and punch it in.
          Last edited by NebraskaJack; 12-12-2017, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
            Watching the JMU Weber game finally (I had to work during their game) and a couple of observations.
            1) please god don’t give us these announcers. Not sure they’ve ever announced anything before this, let alone football. Just hard to listen to.

2) JMU really, really reminds me of NDSU in how they play and are built. They look to run and control the game with that, it’s just from a spread look to run read option. They are good at it too. They may have had a close game with Weber, but they certainly moved the ball. Had a few big runs.

3) Schor seems to be Easton Stick who runs more, is better at the read option, and has a serious tendency to lock onto his first read. Laser focused on that one route.

4) They have really, really good defensive backs. That’s going to be fun to watch to see how our guys handle this. Thankfully we’ve played some pretty stout defenses, so some physical dbacks shouldn’t rattle us (I hope).

5) Based off of 2 & 3 I’m guessing we see a similar strategy to our NDSU matchups where we stop the run and try to make their qb beat us through the air. All this being said I don’t feel great about this game with how our matchups against NDSU always seem to go in the playoffs, and JMU sure looks like a purple version. We need to jump up early and make Schor beat us.

And be ready for the jet sweep with #7. They really hurt Weber a few times on those late drives.

Comment

Haven't they won like 26 games in a row? Something tells me the Weber State game was an aberration. This will be a very good team coming off of a really bad game. I remember thinking I would hate to be the team that plays NDSU the week after we beat them(that team was USD and I'd rather punch myself in the face than be USD). We are that team this week. JMU will be hyper-focused this week in practice. If the Jacks are not clicking on all cylinders from the get go, we may get boat raced. Taryn can't overthrow receivers and Jake has to catch the easy ones as well as the highlight material. Defensively, stop the run and put our fate in the DBs hands...and legs. The Jacks can pull off the upset, but it will take a greater effort than it did against the Bison.
              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Morning from a Dukes fan. I am excited for the matchup. Can’t wait to see the offense and defense of each team matchup and the outcome. For those making the trip to Harrisonburg I hope you have safe travels. Come on out to the tailgates and people will welcome you, if anyone needs help with places to eat or stay also give a shout happy to share my opinion or thoughts. You guys have a great program and it should be a great game.

Comment

We'll see on Saturday but I think these teams are as even as can be. For those of you saying that JMU will have to make mistakes and SDSU will have to play mistake free in order to have a chance to win, I disagree. Both teams will make mistake and both teams will likely have plays that they'd want a second crack at. That's just the nature of sports; expecting a perfect performance is an exercise in futility.

JMU's defense is tenacious and their offense is very good. So is ours. The team is incredibly focused and has been dialed in since Hobo Day. I'd challenge you to find one clear advantage that either team has over the other.

Again, we'll see on Saturday, but I expect a great game. I'd be SHOCKED if either team runs away with this game.
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                    When we score first we are 11-0.
                    When the other team scores first we are 0-2 with 2 not so good losses.
                    When we score a touchdown on our opening drive we are 8-0 with 7 of the wins by double digit margins (Montana State). The average margin of victory is around 22 points.
                    When we score first but not a touchdown or on the opening drive we are 3-0 with 2 wins of 3 points (USD and ISUr) and the 15 point win over UNI.
                    I will feel pretty good about things if we can take the opening kickoff and punch it in.
                    This is why the coin toss will be interesting. If they win it, will they choose to receive because they know all of the above stats? Or will they ignore it and defer like 95% of teams do? If I was an opposing coach, I would go against what I normally do and decide to receive the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                      This is why the coin toss will be interesting. If they win it, will they choose to receive because they know all of the above stats? Or will they ignore it and defer like 95% of teams do? If I was an opposing coach, I would go against what I normally do and decide to receive the ball.
                      I think both teams want to get out to a fast start. With these two teams the game could be over by halftime
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                        Agree completely. Goedert is a huge help, but TC and our offensive/defensive line play is going to decide our fate.
                        If Goedert can't go that makes the field much smaller for our WR group. The coverage could now roll heavy to Jake's side of the field. I realize that the line play will be important, but even a stellar day by the OL can't hold off pass rushers forever. This is probably the best DB group that TC has played against. We need all the weapons we can get.
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                          If Goedert can't go that makes the field much smaller for our WR group. The coverage could now roll heavy to Jake's side of the field. I realize that the line play will be important, but even a stellar day by the OL can't hold off pass rushers forever. This is probably the best DB group that TC has played against. We need all the weapons we can get.
                          The rest of the receiving corps will need to step up big if DG can't go.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            The rest of the receiving corps will need to step up big if DG can't go.
                            And I think they will. I continued to be impressed by our receivers not named Wieneke and Goedert through the course of the season. Cade Johnson especially but Lewis, Brown and Anderson have been really good for us. We will have an obvious fall off next year in this area but not as far as most people will think.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                              And I think they will. I continued to be impressed by our receivers not named Wieneke and Goedert through the course of the season. Cade Johnson especially but Lewis, Brown and Anderson have been really good for us. We will have an obvious fall off next year in this area but not as far as most people will think.
                              Agree with this. I think Cavanaugh has a huge amount of potential too. He has big shoes to fill so hopefully people don't expect him to be Goedert.

I think JW has a big game. TC and JW will hopefully connect on that deep ball. JMU was burned a couple times by Weber on the deep threat and Weber had a couple more opportunities.

Like others have said, Taryn's feet may be the X-factor in this game.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                                Agree with this. I think Cavanaugh has a huge amount of potential too. He has big shoes to fill so hopefully people don't expect him to be Goedert.

I think JW has a big game. TC and JW will hopefully connect on that deep ball. JMU was burned a couple times by Weber on the deep threat and Weber had a couple more opportunities.

Like others have said, Taryn's feet may be the X-factor in this game.
                                Not trying to argue the point too much because it's definitely true, but we really only got burnt on one play that was uncharacteristically misplayed by our All-Conference Safety. The other plays were covered well just WSU's players made amazing catches.

Comment

Working...
                                X