Know your foe - James Madison University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Know your foe - James Madison University

I am quite familiar with JMU, as we have spent a lot of time in the Shenandoah Valley through the years. Nice campus, in a gorgeous hilly setting in Harrisonburg, Va., (the Blue Ridge is somewhat similar to Black Hills, though not as rugged). One weird feature is that I-81, one of the busiest interstates in the world, dissects the campus; students traverse both sides via a bridge or tunnel under the interstate, which is constantly jammed with semis feeding the eastern corridor, and snowbirds going back and forth from the North to the South, and vice versa. Think of JMU as Virginia's version of Dakota State. Good school, one-time "State Normal School for Women," then a state "normal" school for teachers, it's been coming out of the shadows of the University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, and William & Mary, and has had an increasingly good reputation. The legendary basketball coach Lefty Driesell, who was forced out of Maryland after the Len Bias cocaine-related death, twice coached at JMU. Other notable FB grads who made it to NFL include former Washington receiver Gary Clark, and placekicker Scott Norwood, the Super Bowl wide-right goat for the Buffalo Bills. Someone mentioned weather - it can be fickle in that area of the world, snowier than other parts of Virginia, and colder, too. It is supposed to be very cold (by Virginia standards) mid-week but warm up somewhat by the weekend, and my guess is the weather this weekend will not be much warmer in Harrisonburg than in Brookings. I think the Jacks have a good chance of winning this game if they can play reasonable run defense. JMU did not have a schedule comparable to any MVFC team, IMHO. JMU beat New Hampshire, the team the Jacks dismantled yesterday, 21-0 on homecoming this year. JMU beat Villanova, the team the Jacks skated by in the playoffs last year, by 22 this year. I would not be surprised if there is a sizeable DC-area Jackrabbit fan contingent; the university is just a little more than two hours from DC, although you never know about traffic on aforementioned I-81. For some reason I feel really good about this game, especially if Goedert can play. I think the Jacks win by 10 from what I have seen of both teams.

Re: Know your foe - James Madison University

When we were leaving the game yesterday a UNH fan was telling Jacks fans that he wanted the Jacks to "kick their (JMU's) asses." Seems they might be like the Bison of the CAA.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
      When we were leaving the game yesterday a UNH fan was telling Jacks fans that he wanted the Jacks to "kick their (JMU's) asses." Seems they might be like the Bison of the CAA.

All the more reason to do just that.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
        I am quite familiar with JMU, as we have spent a lot of time in the Shenandoah Valley through the years. Nice campus, in a gorgeous hilly setting in Harrisonburg, Va., (the Blue Ridge is somewhat similar to Black Hills, though not as rugged). One weird feature is that I-81, one of the busiest interstates in the world, dissects the campus; students traverse both sides via a bridge or tunnel under the interstate, which is constantly jammed with semis feeding the eastern corridor, and snowbirds going back and forth from the North to the South, and vice versa. Think of JMU as Virginia's version of Dakota State. Good school, one-time "State Normal School for Women," then a state "normal" school for teachers, it's been coming out of the shadows of the University of Virginia, Virginia Tech, and William & Mary, and has had an increasingly good reputation. The legendary basketball coach Lefty Driesell, who was forced out of Maryland after the Len Bias cocaine-related death, twice coached at JMU. Other notable FB grads who made it to NFL include former Washington receiver Gary Clark, and placekicker Scott Norwood, the Super Bowl wide-right goat for the Buffalo Bills. Someone mentioned weather - it can be fickle in that area of the world, snowier than other parts of Virginia, and colder, too. It is supposed to be very cold (by Virginia standards) mid-week but warm up somewhat by the weekend, and my guess is the weather this weekend will not be much warmer in Harrisonburg than in Brookings. I think the Jacks have a good chance of winning this game if they can play reasonable run defense. JMU did not have a schedule comparable to any MVFC team, IMHO. JMU beat New Hampshire, the team the Jacks dismantled yesterday, 21-0 on homecoming this year. JMU beat Villanova, the team the Jacks skated by in the playoffs last year, by 22 this year. I would not be surprised if there is a sizeable DC-area Jackrabbit fan contingent; the university is just a little more than two hours from DC, although you never know about traffic on aforementioned I-81. For some reason I feel really good about this game, especially if Goedert can play. I think the Jacks win by 10 from what I have seen of both teams.
        Thanks many years ago I traveled through Harrisonburg. It is beautiful in late summer, I don’t know what we will expect this Saturday. A more warmer weather I would hope. Isn’t Earl Hamner’s Schuyler close by? One could take a side trip to Walton’s Mountain. And where is Boatwright University? A big Earl Hamner fan btw.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 12-10-2017, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
          One similarity - there is a degree of whining about officiating over on JMU board but it appears to be nowhere near the level of fine whines one routinely sees on B-Ville. Big difference - JMU stadium is open air, so there is no chance that the homer-PA announcer effect that NDSU uses will come into play...

Comment

Just reading the JMU board and they are nothing like Bisonville. Seem reasonable to me, but some of our Bison folks are too, so if looks like we are good to go for Saturday/

Comment

http://csnbbs.com/thread-836793.html

JMU fan board thread about the game. They seem like a very reasonable group of fans. Good discussion there.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The JMU stadium had over 13,000 for the Friday night game. Weather was no wind and 33 degrees. The stadium holds over 24,000. You can buy tickets for $15 or $25. Premium seating does not show availability for this search.
                http://www.jmusports.com/facilities/?id=1
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                  The JMU stadium had over 13,000 for the Friday night game. Weather was no wind and 33 degrees. The stadium holds over 24,000. You can buy tickets for $15 or $25. Premium seating does not show availability for this search.
                  This is where are those games in the Fargodome, Montana, and Montana State pay off. The guys won't be overwhelmed by the atmosphere of the stadium.

SDSU needs to take care of the ball. It seems like JMU is a ball-hawking defense. TC has to play smart and not make those 3 or 4 questionable throws that he tends to do. The thing that has really helped him is the emergence of the rest of the receiving/TE group. He hasn't seemed as intent on forcing it into the dynamic duo as the season has progressed.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                    http://csnbbs.com/thread-836793.html

JMU fan board thread about the game. They seem like a very reasonable group of fans. Good discussion there.
                    Registration is not easy with their question regarding FBS playoff teams. The right answer is 4 for those joining in the discussion.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 12-10-2017, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                      This is where are those games in the Fargodome, Montana, and Montana State pay off. The guys won't be overwhelmed by the atmosphere of the stadium.

SDSU needs to take care of the ball. It seems like JMU is a ball-hawking defense. TC has to play smart and not make those 3 or 4 questionable throws that he tends to do. The thing that has really helped him is the emergence of the rest of the receiving/TE group. He hasn't seemed as intent on forcing it into the dynamic duo as the season has progressed.
                      True he has been much smarter with the ball...but even with Dallas out he threw almost exclusively to Jake. Granted most of the time it was there, could've made a living on the 5 yd out. However he missed at least 3 opportunities where Adam Anderson was wide open, also missed one where Jacob Brown was as open as the NH kid was on the TD. So still room for improvement yet he keeps on doing his thing.

Comment

Has anyone ever attended a watch party in the Minneapolis area? I'll be up there on Saturday and it would be fun to watch the game with some jacks fans. I saw there are a few listed on the alumni website that I'll check out, just seeing if anyone has experienced one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                          Has anyone ever attended a watch party in the Minneapolis area? I'll be up there on Saturday and it would be fun to watch the game with some jacks fans. I saw there are a few listed on the alumni website that I'll check out, just seeing if anyone has experienced one of them.
                          Went to a watch party for the USD game in Minneapolis, had a great time, good people.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                            Curious if their student numbers will decrease due to residence halls closing 12/15.

Comment

The offline betting community has weighed in. The opening line, for what it's worth, has the Jacks a three-point dogs (5dimes). I might have guessed 1.5 more, but for a number that has only more to do with money that reality, that seems about right. In other words, a push at a neutral site
                              Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                              X