Nebraska Jacks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nebraska Jacks

SDSU is giving in-state tuition to students from Nebraska. SDSU gets a handfull of football recruits from there every year. Does this make it cheaper for them to offer scholarships? Does anyone know? I’m curious.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Re: Nebraska Jacks

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    SDSU is giving in-state tuition to students from Nebraska. SDSU gets a handfull of football recruits from there every year. Does this make it cheaper for them to offer scholarships? Does anyone know? I’m curious.
    Yes.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I saw on the news tonight that USD did the same thing as well as to those students from Iowa.
      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Honestly this sucks. The Iowa thing has only really been a positive for USD. Nebraska is likely to be the same. This is losing a fair amount of money for the other institutions. I saw yesterday that it is a reduction of about $3200 per semester. Last year with Iowa, president Dunn said we needed to recruit an additional 60 students from Iowa to make up the difference. I wonder what Nebraska will be?

In a year when the state budget already looks bleak, it is silly to slash revenue sources for higher ed when I’m assuming there will be no new state dollars coming in.
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

I tend to beleive SD is a net loser when we play the reciprocity game. Recruiting more out of state students is good. Incentivizing more SD students to pursue U of M, ISU, U of I, and UNL? BAD.

In fairness, I'm not sure on the specifics of reciprocity with this deal.

Comment

I remember in college being explained this by someone. My understanding is there are certain states that it is either as cheap if not cheaper for residents to attend than South Dakota. There were other states that had discounts and then every other state was considered out of state.

When it comes to scholarships the athletic department with the smaller sports its $ amounts, but with basketball and some football players it is full which would save money for having recruits from those states.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
              I tend to beleive SD is a net loser when we play the reciprocity game. Recruiting more out of state students is good. Incentivizing more SD students to pursue U of M, ISU, U of I, and UNL? BAD.

In fairness, I'm not sure on the specifics of reciprocity with this deal.
              It's a numbers game and most states have more numbers than us.

Comment

Working...
              X