Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: SDSU @ WSU

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
    I truly hope we can have that type of success some day.

Having the the billionaire Koch brothers as boosters probably hasn't hurt them either. Their basketball budget for 2017 is $8.6 million and they pay their head coach $3.3 million. I believe our budget is $1.4 million and we pay TJ somewhere around $400K. 3000 fans a night won't get us there, need to find us a sugar daddy also.

I love what we are doing tho, couldn't be any prouder. We ran out of steam last night. I'm glad they spent the first half jacking up three's, once they decided to take it to the hole in the second half there wasn't much we could do to stop them although our foul trouble and gambling on defense made a difference for sure. Looked like DJJ had a hard time getting into rhythm after sitting out the first half. Again, great job by the team.
    The Shockers also don't have to support a very successful football program. Most very successful mid-major basketball teams are a one sport school. I am looking at WSU, Gonzaga, Butler, et al. If the football budget was split between the Men's and Women's teams, how different would things be at SDSU?
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
      Some stats I had not seen mentioned. From the Wichita Eagle http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...188262669.html

South Dakota State shredded the Shockers in the first half and broke nearly every opponent scoring record in the Gregg Marshall era. The Jackrabbits led 50-42 with their 50 points being the most scored against WSU in the first half in Marshall’s 11 years (one more than Oklahoma State scored last year at Intrust Bank Arena) and their 1.47 points per possession also topped any past performance.
      The 85 points allowed was the most by a Shockers team at Koch Arena since the renovation in the 2003-04 season.
      At some point midway thru the first half the TV announcers stated WSU only trailed in their own building for a total of 7 minutes...all season combined. We broke that ourselves last night as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        Lot's of comments about defense on this thread. I can't say much about specific defense with certain personnel, but we gave up 42 points in the 1st half and 53 in the 2nd. I wouldn't consider either lock down defense.

We led most of the game because we were elite offensively.
        True, but considering who the opponent was (level of play), and the difficulty of some of the shots, it was a good effort. The Jacks defend like that, and they'll fare very well against Summit League competition.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          The Shockers also don't have to support a very successful football program. Most very successful mid-major basketball teams are a one sport school. I am looking at WSU, Gonzaga, Butler, et al. If the football budget was split between the Men's and Women's teams, how different would things be at SDSU?
          Agreed, having a successful football program will possibly limit our potential as a basketball program. It would take a lot of money to do both.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
            True, but considering who the opponent was (level of play), and the difficulty of some of the shots, it was a good effort. The Jacks defend like that, and they'll fare very well against Summit League competition.
            Just watched the replay, and the announcers stated a fact that is hard to believe. The Shockers were only trailed their opponents for less than 10 minutes of their entire home schedule a year ago, and the Jacks exceeded that in the first half.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post

I know we need Jenkins shooting and scoring touch, especially to keep people honest with how they play Daum.
              -but he's not quite there defensively. I'm not saying he's a bad defender...but he IS a freshman playing DI BB, I thought Skyler and Lane really made the defense better.
              (Howell some too... maybe not as good of a team/scheme defender, but his size and athleticism help)
              Honestly when Jenkins came in during the second half it seemed to halfway throw us out of rythme offensively. Key started getting a little too aggressive and it took us away from what was working (Daum). defensively, I think Jenkins is a good defender, he actually works pretty hard on that end considering how much he looks to score. The player who drives me nuts from time to time is Telly. OMG does he come down with a case of the cement shoes every now and then. Especially when he's playing that 3 position.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                Tevin King is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite, under the radar, Jackrabbits. Approaching Griffin Callahan status. Let's hope he has a chance to knock down a Griffin Callahan type three in a big game sometime this March.
                He's my favorite Jackrabbit. Plays hard and smart pretty much the entire time he's on the court.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
                  Honestly when Jenkins came in during the second half it seemed to halfway throw us out of rythme offensively. Key started getting a little too aggressive and it took us away from what was working (Daum). defensively, I think Jenkins is a good defender, he actually works pretty hard on that end considering how much he looks to score. The player who drives me nuts from time to time is Telly. OMG does he come down with a case of the cement shoes every now and then. Especially when he's playing that 3 position.
                  Telly is just the human version of the team. There are times when he looks like the best player in the world and other times I feel like we are playing with 4 guys. He is a very talented player, but I think he gets into his own head too much at times. It seems like his bad play snowballs and takes a bit of time for him to shake off.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

We also must remember that in the second half WSU cranked the dial up a bit and we missed a few shots. Those things also had an effect on our rhythm. Things get harder in the second half of games against teams of that caliber.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                      We also must remember that in the second half WSU cranked the dial up a bit and we missed a few shots. Those things also had an effect on our rhythm. Things get harder in the second half of games against teams of that caliber.
                      That press looked tough. I guess it's not real surprising that we missed shots and ran out of steam considering how hard we had to work just to break it.

Comment

Telly is just the human version of the team. There are times when he looks like the best player in the world and other times I feel like we are playing with 4 guys. He is a very talented player, but I think he gets into his own head too much at times. It seems like his bad play snowballs and takes a bit of time for him to shake off.
                        When he's able to get some easy ones it helps his game a lot. Good luck with that against WSU. His offense becomes limited. I do like a good charge going the other way that he does a lot.

Comment

That press looked tough. I guess it's not real surprising that we missed shots and ran out of steam considering how hard we had to work just to break it.
                          I was surprised to see the Jacks only had 12 turnovers after watching the game. King had 9 assists and no turnovers, which was amazing considering the number of minutes he played against that kind of pressure.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            I was surprised to see the Jacks only had 12 turnovers after watching the game. King had 9 assists and no turnovers, which was amazing considering the number of minutes he played against that kind of pressure.
                            that's why I was surprised key was in so much on the point and not king. maybe they trust key more to break the press. but I like king attacking and he looks like he knows what he is doing out there.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

He hit a couple of shots early but then got two quick fouls and had to sit for awhile. He never seemed to get back in synch after that.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                                Yeah.. that's incredible against a team like that with that pressure. Do you think he would of been able to do that last year ha ha

Comment

Working...
                                X