GDT: SDSU @ WSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: SDSU @ WSU

Bittle that first half effort! Play that tape again and again. Make it the blueprint for effort moving forward.

Play like that and this will be an epic year! They have the talent. No moral victories. They let a good chance slip but they will be a better team for this one.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Men played a great game and showed incredible effort. In the end we got beat by a better team and that's ok. It goes to show what type of night you need to beat an elite level team. We will beat them in the tournament when it matters.

Comment

No doubt some blatant home cooking. Not saying we don't get calls at home but the older bald ref had no interest in even hiding his role in officiating games for WSU. When you get up late on the road against a "bigger" school you better hope you can keep making jumpers and the home team shoots below 50% at line because they will be there a lot.

Amazing effort from the Jacks. Great ball movement, extra pass for a good look all night. Even our turnovers were flop charges or muggings while pressing. Tevin King is an absolute beast on D and now somehow an above average offensive player. Daum will eat the Summitt alive with performances like this. Don't know that we could have played any better in this one.

Missouri State was a complete fluke shooting night for both teams, but the blowout still bothered me. After this one I'm back to believing this is likely the best ever SDSU team.

Comment

Man just read through the comments and thought I was on Bisonville. Had to double check.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
            Man just read through the comments and thought I was on Bisonville. Had to double check.
            Not a big bisonville fan, but this WSU game was the first game that I had any chance of watching, I am convinced this is the best SDSU team in history. To play the no 6 team close on their floor shows that we got much talent. Whether Daum returns next year is another issue, but I love our chances in the BIG Dance this year provided we win the SL tourney. I think Greg Marshall is a good barometer and his comments that we would win a game or two are good indications of our talent level.

Comment

WSU is what SDSU could become if they continue their progression. A "smaller," mid-western, public university that has slowly built itself into a program that is apart of the national conversation. They made a nice run in the NCAAs a couple years ago and used that success to bolster their recruiting.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

#1 Great effort and performance by the Jackrabbits.
                #2 This game will make them better down the stretch.
                #3 Wichita State is the real deal. They aren't a fluke team to be rated that high. We played very well at their house, which most people do NOT do.
                #4. The reffing wasn't great down the stretch, but it wasn't egregious like the end of the Old Miss game. There were several close calls that went their way, they are at home with all those fans. At least they were close calls. Some of the calls at Ole Miss were just made up and/or completely wrong.
                #5 Seen a few people mention FT's. We missed 5 in a row, in a stretch where we were behind 6. (and 1 of those was a 1 and 1)... think making those 5 or 6 would have had a big effect on the game?
                #6 I'm proud of our team
                #7 I honestly didn't think the announcers were that bad. They are Wichita State announcers? They were very complimentary of the Jackrabbits all night.

Comment

Great BB game there yesterday for you guys, lots of talent, enjoy your season!
                  Looking forward to joining the Summit & MVFC.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                    WSU is what SDSU could become if they continue their progression. A "smaller," mid-western, public university that has slowly built itself into a program that is apart of the national conversation. They made a nice run in the NCAAs a couple years ago and used that success to bolster their recruiting.
                    I truly hope we can have that type of success some day.

Having the the billionaire Koch brothers as boosters probably hasn't hurt them either. Their basketball budget for 2017 is $8.6 million and they pay their head coach $3.3 million. I believe our budget is $1.4 million and we pay TJ somewhere around $400K. 3000 fans a night won't get us there, need to find us a sugar daddy also.

I love what we are doing tho, couldn't be any prouder. We ran out of steam last night. I'm glad they spent the first half jacking up three's, once they decided to take it to the hole in the second half there wasn't much we could do to stop them although our foul trouble and gambling on defense made a difference for sure. Looked like DJJ had a hard time getting into rhythm after sitting out the first half. Again, great job by the team.

Comment

I really love this teams personality. This team has big balls and did a really impressive job of keeping their cool down the stretch in my opinion (they did as well at Ole Miss). As it has already been said, King's offensive improvement is simply phenomenal, and as a team we have a lot of dumb to's from driving into the paint without having a plan or simply dumb passes, though I expect that is something that can and will get fixed as the season progresses.

Comment

Also something I noticed last night:
                        Flatten started with Daum, Telly, King and Howell. Made the defense MUCH better, IMO.

I know we need Jenkins shooting and scoring touch, especially to keep people honest with how they play Daum.
                        -but he's not quite there defensively. I'm not saying he's a bad defender...but he IS a freshman playing DI BB, I thought Skyler and Lane really made the defense better.
                        (Howell some too... maybe not as good of a team/scheme defender, but his size and athleticism help)

The team has a lot of flexibility, in that they can play bigger (with both posts, Reed at the 3, Skylar/Howell at the 2, and Tevin as the 1), or they can play smaller: 1 Key 2 Jenkins 3 Howell/Skyler 4 Reed/Lane 5 Mike/Ian
                        -There was a time during the pressing last night where they had Key, King, and Jenkins all out there together.

And I LOVE seeing the development of Tevin King. Such a great young man, hard nosed defender, hard worker, just great to see him develop and expand his game.

Comment

Lot's of comments about defense on this thread. I can't say much about specific defense with certain personnel, but we gave up 42 points in the 1st half and 53 in the 2nd. I wouldn't consider either lock down defense.

We led most of the game because we were elite offensively.

Comment

Tevin King is quickly becoming one of my all time favorite, under the radar, Jackrabbits. Approaching Griffin Callahan status. Let's hope he has a chance to knock down a Griffin Callahan type three in a big game sometime this March.
                            "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Some stats I had not seen mentioned. From the Wichita Eagle http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...188262669.html

South Dakota State shredded the Shockers in the first half and broke nearly every opponent scoring record in the Gregg Marshall era. The Jackrabbits led 50-42 with their 50 points being the most scored against WSU in the first half in Marshall’s 11 years (one more than Oklahoma State scored last year at Intrust Bank Arena) and their 1.47 points per possession also topped any past performance.
                              The 85 points allowed was the most by a Shockers team at Koch Arena since the renovation in the 2003-04 season.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                                Lot's of comments about defense on this thread. I can't say much about specific defense with certain personnel, but we gave up 42 points in the 1st half and 53 in the 2nd. I wouldn't consider either lock down defense.

We led most of the game because we were elite offensively.
                                I agree with that. My point was that the effort was there. More so than any other game. Not sure you are ever going to achieve "lock down" defense on a team that strong. It was great effort. That hasn't been there. It will pay off if they play with that edge the rest of the way! That is similar to what happened last year. At one point, the effort changed and the team as a whole clicked.

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X