Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bob Nielson to Kent State?

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
    Reporter in OH reporting that Neilson is staying at USD after receiving a raise and extension.
    Someone needs to search Old Main for a money printing press. Cost of Attendance and now Nielson probably over $400,000. I wonder how they will role his new salary into a student fee? (smack, bad WSR).
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
      Someone needs to search Old Main for a money printing press. Cost of Attendance and now Nielson probably over $400,000. I wonder how they will role his new salary into a student fee? (smack, bad WSR).
      He probably didn't want to leave, but he didn't the smith act like I am interested to just get a raise from my current employer.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

So he already makes more than Stig and now he going to make even more than Stig. Why isnt Stig getting paid more? He certainly deserves to get paid better than a coach at USD since he is 6-0 vs them since we started playing them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
          I don't really care who coaches USD. But it's kind of weird that a reporter from Minnesota, and not South Dakota or Ohio, is the first to report that Nielson is taking the Kent State job. I guess I'll wait for someone who covers USD to report it before I completely believe it.
          Nielson was formerly the coach at UM-Duluth, where they won the DII national championship in '08 and '10, so maybe the reporter had some connections.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
            So he already makes more than Stig and now he going to make even more than Stig. Why isnt Stig getting paid more? He certainly deserves to get paid better than a coach at USD since he is 6-0 vs them since we started playing them again.
            You think Stig's values could have something to do with it? He doesn't strike me as the type who would lobby for a raise. That's not to say I think he doesn't deserve one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
              I don't really care who coaches USD. But it's kind of weird that a reporter from Minnesota, and not South Dakota or Ohio, is the first to report that Nielson is taking the Kent State job. I guess I'll wait for someone who covers USD to report it before I completely believe it.
              Ah, it appears a healthy dose of scepticism is warranted on this story. Reports now coming out indicating the story is nothing more than rumor. We'll all have to follow Jacked_Up's example and "wait and see".

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                Ah, it appears a healthy dose of scepticism is warranted on this story. Reports now coming out indicating the story is nothing more than rumor. We'll all have to follow Jacked_Up's example and "wait and see".
                Elsen's confirming what others on here have indicated -- Nielson's staying put and an extension is in the work (reportedly since before season ended).

Comment

Re: Bob Nielson to Kent State

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  You got it. A Duluth radio station says he is taking the job, and that was heard on KWSN.
                  If this Duluth source is to be believed, the Nielson migration metric seems to be whether he returns the media phone call -- no return call = no return.

Comment

Any chance this video, and not the raise, is what really caused him to stay?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                      Any chance this video, and not the raise, is what really caused him to stay?
                      Only Bob knows and why would he comment on his own income? its more than most make, but following the South Dakota way of thinking you dont brag about how much money you make. Good for USD.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                        You think Stig's values could have something to do with it? He doesn't strike me as the type who would lobby for a raise. That's not to say I think he doesn't deserve one.
                        If Stig lobbied for any $ at all it would be for his Assistants, that would be my guess. I think we can comfortably say he is here for the duration.

Comment

I guess by USD standards it was a banner year, but enough to lobby for more money etc? Stig has accomplished so much more than Nielson and you don't see him lobbying for money or flirting with other schools to leverage a raise.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            I guess by USD standards it was a banner year, but enough to lobby for more money etc? Stig has accomplished so much more than Nielson and you don't see him lobbying for money or flirting with other schools to leverage a raise.
                            In Bobby's defense, retirement is just around the corner, and he did not make big bucks at Ripon and Wartburg, and even Duluth he was probably paid less than the market rate for someone with his skills.

Comment

Man, amazing how much finishing at almost .500 in conference and a wild and unfounded* rumor can make a guy

*lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Every coach has the right to get paid what they are worth. And they are worth whatever anyone is willing to pay them.

Now the question is how does USD justify and make the money work to pay their coach this amount.

What can SDSU offer a coach? If Kent State called Stig tomorrow and offered him a contract to what point could SDSU match?

I was told that SDSU offered Nagy $400K when he left for Wright State.

I think the issue is when schools start jacking up their fees to fund athletics when coaches get big raises. Yes USD improved a ton, they were much more successful, and I think Coach Nielson is a good coach/guy. But does it justify a big raise? IDK

Comment

Working...
                                X