Bob Nielson to Kent State?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bob Nielson to Kent State

People a little defensive today? Joe Glenn has had a nice career, not the retread every is making him out to be, it just didn't end well.

Comment

i am super happy my joke has turned into a serious discussion, as i intended
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Didn't realize Nielson is 58 - if he wants to make the jump to FBS, he may have to ask himself how many more chances he gets. And has he peaked at USD ? They had what may be the Payton Award winner who put up unbelievable numbers and still only finished .500 in the Valley and limped into the playoffs. Might come down to how bullish they are on the QB's they have returning - realizing that Streveler isn't going to walk in the locker room door next fall could have a sobering effect.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          Didn't realize Nielson is 58 - if he wants to make the jump to FBS, he may have to ask himself how many more chances he gets. And has he peaked at USD ? They had what may be the Payton Award winner who put up unbelievable numbers and still only finished .500 in the Valley and limped into the playoffs. Might come down to how bullish they are on the QB's they have returning - realizing that .Streveler isn't going to walk in the locker room door next fall could have a sobering effect.
          What I make of this is Nielsen has worked low paying jobs and realizes that retirement is around the corner and to live comfortably, you grab the job that pay the most. Kent State probably pays their HC more than USD. Probably already buying yellow and black ties. I think he will be selling his red ties and moving to Ohio. Do they have a Goodwill store in Vermillion?

Comment

Re: Bob Nielson to Kent State?

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
            The thread title should have a question mark on the end that I thought I added....
            I took that as a suggestion/request and added the question mark.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              I took that as a suggestion/request and added the question mark.
              Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                What I make of this is Nielsen has worked low paying jobs and realizes that retirement is around the corner and to live comfortably, you grab the job that pay the most. Kent State probably pays their HC more than USD. Probably already buying yellow and black ties. I think he will be selling his red ties and moving to Ohio. Do they have a Goodwill store in Vermillion?

Must resist smack...must resist...

If he is offered I think it's a relatively easy move. Most Yote fans don't want him to go and that is understandable. But at 58 he's more than likely planning 7-12 more years coaching. With a move like that he will set up his retirement quite well.

Comment

Kent State is where USD's former AD, Joel Nielsen went to. He is still there.

Comment

Just for information, Nielson makes $255,000 at USD (Stig makes $240,000).
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

If Kent State wants him, and they want to pay him, he should go, it could be his last chance to be a FBS coach. And as Bobby Hauck has shown if it doesn't work he'd have his pick of FCS jobs in 5 years.

The now fired Kent State coach was making a little over $400K on a 5 year deal

Comment

"All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

I cut and paste KUlawJack's signature for a purpose. I wondered over to the Kent State message board and there is a long thread about their candidates for new head coach. Rumor has it that Bob Nielsen is on campus and another poster said he had been offered the job. So we should be seeing announcements about either taking the job or declining the job and if Joeboo22 numbers are within range, I see Coach Nielsen wearing yellow and blue ties instead of red ties. I mistakenly said black and yellow were Kent State's colors, they are blue and yellow which I think is just grand.

Comment

I heard on KWSN sports radio in Sioux Falls that Bob Nielson couldn't make his regular weekly appearance on the show this week because he was out recruiting. Apparently he's looking for recruits on Kent State's campus.
                          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                            I heard on KWSN sports radio in Sioux Falls that Bob Nielson couldn't make his regular weekly appearance on the show this week because he was out recruiting. Apparently he's looking for recruits on on Kent State's campus.
                            You got it. A Duluth radio station says he is taking the job, and that was heard on KWSN.

Comment

I don't really care who coaches USD. But it's kind of weird that a reporter from Minnesota, and not South Dakota or Ohio, is the first to report that Nielson is taking the Kent State job. I guess I'll wait for someone who covers USD to report it before I completely believe it.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Reporter in OH reporting that Neilson is staying at USD after receiving a raise and extension.

Pat in Shaker‏ @PatNShaker 29m29 minutes

UPDATE: Sources telling me that USD HC Bob Nielson is STAYING at South Dakota after receiving an extension and pay raise earlier today.

Comment

Working...
                                X