Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U of New Hampshire

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
    To clarify, I have no idea whether the Bookstore was closed on Sat. I was referring to the stadium store, which I'm almost certain was not even in operation last season.
    Bookstore was open.
    Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
    See, you’re missing the point. Some folks just don’t come for the football. Long lines and limited concessions is just one of those forehead slapping moments that can so easily be corrected. You can’t expect people to pay that much for tickets for that type of experience.

If temps are low next weekend, we’ll have a pretty high burn rate on the hot cocoa. Gotta be prepared for that.

I’m guessing you weren’t in the area when they really did run out of hot chocolate at a game when it was bitterly cold? It happened. No lie.
    Great. I’m all for being prepared and having a great game day environment but if people are saying that’s the reason they don’t go then they weren’t going to go anyways TBH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Re: U of New Hampshire

I've been a football season ticket holder for almost thirty years. So, please don't question my loyalty for what I'm about to write. The one constant I have heard over and over this past week (and at today's women's basketball game) is the price of the ticket is too damned high. Add in that these people can watch the game on television in the comfort of their home or sports bar, well, the decision is easier. I have to believe that given the weather forecast, there will be fewer than 7500 people there next Saturday. Plus, and some people don't want to hear this, lots of folks have other priorities in their lives.

I'm not sure where people think we are going to dredge up all these extra ticket buyers. It isn't a sign of a lack of loyalty ... crap, look around and see all the changes that have happened on campus the past dozen years courtesy of alumni donors. People are loyal, they just might have different priorities ... especially this time of the year.

PS: I remember late in our DII days and very early in our DI days that fewer than 500 people would be at the season ending games (and that included the teams!).

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
        I've been a football season ticket holder for almost thirty years. So, please don't question my loyalty for what I'm about to write. The one constant I have heard over and over this past week (and at today's women's basketball game) is the price of the ticket is too damned high. Add in that these people can watch the game on television in the comfort of their home or sports bar, well, the decision is easier. I have to believe that given the weather forecast, there will be fewer than 7500 people there next Saturday. Plus, and some people don't want to hear this, lots of folks have other priorities in their lives.

I'm not sure where people think we are going to dredge up all these extra ticket buyers. It isn't a sign of a lack of loyalty ... crap, look around and see all the changes that have happened on campus the past dozen years courtesy of alumni donors. People are loyal, they just might have different priorities ... especially this time of the year.

PS: I remember late in our DII days and very early in our DI days that fewer than 500 people would be at the season ending games (and that included the teams!).
        The ticket prices are high for a late game but that’s an NCAA mandate.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
          The ticket prices are high for a late game but that’s an NCAA mandate.

While this is true, the Athletics Dept. can do something about that by lowering regular season ticket prices.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
            Bookstore was open.

Great. I’m all for being prepared and having a great game day environment but if people are saying that’s the reason they don’t go then they weren’t going to go anyways TBH.

Couldn't agree more. It'd be like saying you aren't going to a movie because they don't have the dang candy you're looking for.

Comment

See, you’re missing the point. Some folks just don’t come for the football. Long lines and limited concessions is just one of those forehead slapping moments that can so easily be corrected. You can’t expect people to pay that much for tickets for that type of experience.

If temps are low next weekend, we’ll have a pretty high burn rate on the hot cocoa. Gotta be prepared for that.

I’m guessing you weren’t in the area when they really did run out of hot chocolate at a game when it was bitterly cold? It happened. No lie.
              Like I said, I missed the EIU game because I was volunteering in upstate NY, so if that's the one, I did indeed miss Hot Chocolategate. I completely agree that long lines are a nuisance, but if you want hot chocolate that bad, get there early and get some.
              I think they're in a damned if they do damned if they don't situation. People either complain about the concession item prices, complain about the lines, complain about the inventory, or complain about something else entirely. Here's a thought, no hot chocolate means saving you money, and not drinking it means not having to use the restroom later (and probably dealing with lines there) and missing the game.

Tangentially, I'd like to compliment the concession folks I've dealt with at the games. They're all been pretty congenial, so if any of you know them, please feel free to share that with them.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                Stop... I want people to show up just as much as you, but being ignorant and obnoxious about it doesn't help anything.
                Neither does an inconsistent application of your ignorance and obnoxiousness standards. He did not personally call anyone out, which others have more than once, and you let their insults slide.

What was so offensive? His use of the word "butts;" possible sexism by saying "man up;" failure to employ a meme in his post?

Comment

Like I said, I missed the EIU game because I was volunteering in upstate NY, so if that's the one, I did indeed miss Hot Chocolategate. I completely agree that long lines are a nuisance, but if you want hot chocolate that bad, get there early and get some.
                  I think they're in a damned if they do damned if they don't situation. People either complain about the concession item prices, complain about the lines, complain about the inventory, or complain about something else entirely. Here's a thought, no hot chocolate means saving you money, and not drinking it means not having to use the restroom later (and probably dealing with lines there) and missing the game.

Tangentially, I'd like to compliment the concession folks I've dealt with at the games. They're all been pretty congenial, so if any of you know them, please feel free to share that with them.
                  For goodness sake, I’m your target audience (family of 6!) to get more butts in the seats and all you want to do is put us down and give us more reasons not to buy tickets for next weekend. Great marketing strategy.

Comment

One more thing about loyalty. I've watched this board for the past 12-15 years. Lots of people who posted frequently no longer post at all. Many of "the regulars" are now distant memories. It isn't because they don't care, it's just that they have other priorities. Life has a funny way of getting in the way of life.

Comment

For goodness sake, I’m your target audience (family of 6!) to get more butts in the seats and all you want to do is put us down and give us more reasons not to buy tickets for next weekend. Great marketing strategy.
                      Perhaps you can specify where there was a "put down."

As for my "target audience," that would first be the Athletics Dept. because I truly do feel there is a disconnect between what they view as reasonable ticket prices and what casual fans are willing to pay, and like it or not, the regular season ticket prices dictate the playoff rates when games correspond with the holidays and corresponding holiday spending -- a factor which could decrease the likelihood that even someone who purchased a ticket/tickets earlier this fall would do the same now. Then, other "target audience" members would be folks with whom I can have a dialogue about how we stimulate interest in attending the games, factors the prevent/dissuade them from attending now, and steps we can take to ameliorate those issues.

Comment

Not trying to come off ignorant or obnoxious at all rather a challenge to get more fans there. I know the difference crowd noise can make in a game, played in Fargo and Cheney and those crowds made a difference in the playoffs. We have the same opportunity to do that this weekend. Thought the fans at the game Saturday were engaged and loud but we can make even more of an impact!

Comment

While we are discussing unusual things, I would like to find someone to buy my hot chocolate and coffee for my wife early. Then I would like to have it nice and hot at halftime for some sipping. The whole concept still needs to examine Cowbell's statement in that life happens and all the marketing in the world will not hit all populations. Therefore, you maximize the market that is available and willing. Meanwhile someone bring that microwave so I can heat up my drinks at halftime!
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Sweet, buy hot chocolate 15 minutes before the game so I have some in the 4th quarter. Wonderful idea.

Comment

Neither does an inconsistent application of your ignorance and obnoxiousness standards. He did not personally call anyone out, which others have more than once, and you let their insults slide.

What was so offensive? His use of the word "butts;" possible sexism by saying "man up;" failure to employ a meme in his post?
                              You really want that "worst poster of the year" award, don't you? You've got it wrapped up at this point, so you can stop posting until January if you want. Or later would be fine too.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                                Sweet, buy hot chocolate 15 minutes before the game so I have some in the 4th quarter. Wonderful idea.
                                If it is that important to you, bring something like one of these in with your drawstring bag.

Opening myself up for another Ron Swanson meme -- sponsors could make this a promo for the first 1,000 fans. Fact is, folks will always be able to find a reason, some would say an excuse, not to do something; however, often a little ingenuity opens up avenues to find a solution.
                                Last edited by jakejc795; 12-03-2017, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X