U of New Hampshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U of New Hampshire

The University of New Hampshire will make its first appearance at the Dana J Dykhouse Stadium on Saturday. The kickoff for the FCS quarterfinal matchup is set for 2:00 pm.

There are some broad similarities between SDSU and UNH. Both are the flagship public university in their respective state. Both are public research universities and land-grant universities under the Morrill Act of 1862. UNH student enrollment of undergrad and grad students is a little more than 15,300 while SDSU has a little more than 12,600 Undergrads and grad students.

UNH was founded in 1866 while SDSU started holding classes in 1881.

UNH athletic teams are nicknamed Wildcats and their colors are blue and white. Jacks fans can break out the yellow for this game without concern for confusion with the visitors. The Wildcats compete in the America East Conference (hockey in the Hockey East Conference).

The main UNH campus is located in Durham, NH, (population about 15,000).
    Last edited by JackJD; 12-03-2017, 12:46 AM.

Re: U of New Hampshire

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    The University of New Hampshire will make its first appearance at the Dana J Dykhouse Stadium on Saturday. The kickoff for the FCS quarterfinal matchup is set for 2:00 pm.

There are some broad similarities between SDSU and UNH. Both are the flagship public university in their respective state. Both are public research universities and land-grant universities under the Morrill Act of 1862. UNH student enrollment of undergrad and grad students is a little more than 15,300 while SDSU has a little more than 12,600 Undergrads and grad students.

UNH athletic teams are nicknamed Wildcats and their colors are blue and white. Jacks fans can break out the yellow for this game without concern for confusion with the visitors. The Wildcats compete in the America East Conference (hockey in the Hockey East Conference).

Sounds like they've forced four turnovers in consecutive weeks, and they've snapped opponents' win streaks in three of the last four weeks (including the past two consecutive weeks). Think Jacks end both the Wildcats' turnover surfeit and their win streak snapping string on Sat.

Glancing at pg. 133 of the media guide, believe the game will actually mark the first game ever between the Wildcats and Jacks (let alone their first trip to Brookings) and a matchup between long-tenured coaches (who both coach at their alma maters), McDonnell being the 19th coach at UNH and Stig the 20th here.

Side note, anyone else think Stig and McDonnell could be mistaken for brothers?
    Last edited by jakejc795; 12-03-2017, 08:53 AM. Reason: Missing & incorrect apostrophes

Comment

The ticket prices will be the same for this contest.
      https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/BuyTick...RIES_ID=100640
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Really excited to 1) Have another home game, 2) play a new team in the playoffs, and 3) play another land grant FCS school.

Sounds like their defense is pretty dominant. That, plus the cold, could make this a really in treating matchup. The offensive game plan in this one is going to be really intruiging.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
          The ticket prices will be the same for this contest.
          https://tkt.xosn.com/tickets/BuyTick...RIES_ID=100640
          Pretty sure that's per NCAA policy.

I met a friend and SDSU alum for supper after the game, and he indicated that anecdotal evidence from Facebook posts suggested that some Jacks fans opted to take their kids to Disney on Ice instead of attending the Jacks' FB game. Granted those with the resources probably could have done both, as I believe Disney on Ice started at 7pm, but yesterday suggested that weather was not the primary factor preventing fans from attending. Assuming that is correct, it would seem to be suggestive of football ticket price adaptation being researched by the SDSU Athletics Dept.

If they will not reduce the rates for regular season games that will impact possible playoff ticket prices, they could at least survey ticket buyers who attended regular season games this season but chose not to attend the playoff game to see if other events, such as Disney on Ice, served to reduce attendance. Then, they could try to work with sponsors to make purchasing decisions less binary (e.g., it being "either Disney or the Jacks") and offering incentives to stimulate consideration of Jacks ticket purchases; for example, proof of Jacks' playoff ticket purchase entitles a person to reduced Disney on Ice ticket prices, reduced concession prices, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

I met a friend and SDSU alum for supper after the game, and he indicated that anecdotal evidence from Facebook posts suggested that some Jacks fans opted to take their kids to Disney on Ice instead of attending the Jacks' FB game. Granted those with the resources probably could have done both, as I believe Disney on Ice started at 7pm, but yesterday suggested that weather was not the primary factor preventing fans from attending. Assuming that is correct, it would seem to be suggestive of football ticket price adaptation being researched by the SDSU Athletics Dept.

If they will not reduce the rates for regular season games that will impact possible playoff ticket prices, they could at least survey ticket buyers who attended regular season games this season but chose not to attend the playoff game to see if other events, such as Disney on Ice, served to reduce attendance. Then, they could try to work with sponsors to make purchasing decisions less binary (e.g., it being "either Disney or the Jacks") and offering incentives to stimulate consideration of Jacks ticket purchases; for example, proof of Jacks' playoff ticket purchase entitles a person to reduced Disney on Ice ticket prices, reduced concession prices, etc.
            I found a ticket for Dec 3, 2016 in my coveralls this morning and the tickets were the same price last year. Maybe we could ask for a discount from the Disney people? Meanwhile, the athletic department seems to be operating a decent operation and they are asking the fans to chip in much like they ask the large donors to chip in. Those decisions of where to spend discretionary dollars remain with individuals and I cannot certainly judge how they spend those. The long lines at the concession kept me from buying goods.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I found a ticket for Dec 3, 2016 in my coveralls this morning and the tickets were the same price last year. Maybe we could ask for a discount from the Disney people? Meanwhile, the athletic department seems to be operating a decent operation and they are asking the fans to chip in much like they ask the large donors to chip in. Those decisions of where to spend discretionary dollars remain with individuals and I cannot certainly judge how they spend those. The long lines at the concession kept me from buying goods.
              Not disparaging the Athletics folks, but as part of my "axe arsenal," I'd be all for going from "decent" to "even better," and I suspect that if the Jacks make the playoffs next year, our tickets will cost the same as the USD game rates (assuming you purchase the same seats for the playoffs).

Obviously most of us are going to the games regardless, I'm just spitballing ideas for having more than the 'Nova and UNI attendees at the games.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  Aww shucks. I know some are wacky and illogical, but let's at least start a discussion that leads to sustained, long-term improvement of the attendance situation.

Comment

I noticed on the west side half the concession doors were closed. I assume the east side was as well. Makes me think that the athletic dept. wasn't expecting many fans and they had more "walk up" last minute ticket sales. We were tailgating for a bit to the w/nw of the ticket office and there was a decent line at the ticket booth for quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                      I noticed on the west side half the concession doors were closed. I assume the east side was as well. Makes me think that the athletic dept. wasn't expecting many fans and they had more "walk up" last minute ticket sales. We were tailgating for a bit to the w/nw of the ticket office and there was a decent line at the ticket booth for quite a while.
                      Those might have been folks who opted for "will call" pre-purchased tickets rather than walk-up sales, but you are correct about the concession situation on the east side.

Could be misremembering, but I think they had reduced concession sites open during the 'Nova playoff game as well. Be interested in learning whether that's driven by ticket sales or whether that's another thing that NCAA rules dictate. For instance, I think there was a sign on the stadium store indicating that could not be open during the playoff game due to NCAA playoff regulations, which may be one reason all of the inventory was moved back to the Bookstore.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                        Really excited to 1) Have another home game, 2) play a new team in the playoffs, and 3) play another land grant FCS school.

Sounds like their defense is pretty dominant. That, plus the cold, could make this a really in treating matchup. The offensive game plan in this one is going to be really intruiging.
                        If their QB is still suffering the effects of a concussion, the Jacks may be facing a freshman QB who finished the game against UCA.

Comment

Those might have been folks who opted for "will call" pre-purchased tickets rather than walk-up sales, but you are correct about the concession situation on the east side.

Could be misremembering, but I think they had reduced concession sites open during the 'Nova playoff game as well. Be interested in learning whether that's driven by ticket sales or whether that's another thing that NCAA rules dictate. For instance, I think there was a sign on the stadium store indicating that could not be open during the playoff game due to NCAA playoff regulations, which may be one reason all of the inventory was moved back to the Bookstore.
                          And the lines were loooooooooooong and slow at half. Would not have been impressed if I had wanted to get something.
                          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

UNH plays football in the Colonial (CAA). Same conference as James Madison.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

1. This is the best SDSU football team ever
                              2. We have a chance to go further in the playoffs than we ever have.
                              3. We can do that at home.

We compare ourselves to NDSU and expect our team to make it to the National Title yet we can’t fill our stadium up halfway for a playoff game.
                              I hope this week is different, I hope fans support this team and make a difference during the game. Man up, put warm clothes on, and get your butts in the seats. The players deserve it, coaches deserve it, and we have been waiting for games like this in Brookings for a long time.

PS expect more home playoff games in December in the future. Leave Saturday’s open if you are a true Jacks fan.

Comment

Working...
                              X