Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits @ Ole Miss Rebels

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
    Ever watch a Kentucky, Iowa State or NBA game?
    His post about threes was written in sarcasm font.....

Comment

Lucky win????

They won 7 of their last 10 regular season games ... beat the #3, #1 and #5 seeds in the Summit tournament.

A first year coach, with a team devoid of any guard experience.
      Agree. If you paid attention towards the end of the year you could say the Jacks were arguably the favorite in the Summit tourney. We were playing damn good ball at the end of the year.

Comment

And then what does he do?
        like all of the rest of them do...get another coaching job that pays more. If Iowa state calls TJ is gone. You really think he is worried about getting fired at his next job? I think not. If we were to win the SLT this year I would not be surprised to see him leave. TJ has way more connections in the sport than any coach we have had.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
          like all of the rest of them do...get another coaching job that pays more. If Iowa state calls TJ is gone. You really think he is worried about getting fired at his next job? I think not. If we were to win the SLT this year I would not be surprised to see him leave. TJ has way more connections in the sport than any coach we have had.

I agree. Enjoy TJ while he is here because it is not likely to be long. Another trip to the NCAA's or two and he'll be high on the radar for a lot of schools that can pay much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
            I agree. Enjoy TJ while he is here because it is not likely to be long. Another trip to the NCAA's or two and he'll be high on the radar for a lot of schools that can pay much better.
            I think I remember that some schools were looking at coach Smith from USD after last year. He did win the regular season but that was about it (so far). Of course, I think it was schools like Wright State not Iowa so that is a big difference. It seems to me that TJ isn't the type of coach that would want to stay at a smaller school longer than he needs to.

Comment

Lucky win????

They won 7 of their last 10 regular season games ... beat the #3, #1 and #5 seeds in the Summit tournament.

A first year coach, with a team devoid of any guard experience.
              I think TJ did a good coaching job last year but I think SDSU had some really nice pieces for him to use. Daum, Reed, Ian, Lane and Tevin were all here two years ago and they are 5 of our top 9 players this year. TJ did add Howell, Orris and Hess (when healthy) last year and we have Jenkins, Key and Howell this year but we are still using those original 5 quite a bit.
              This year Skyler is playing better but is that TJ or not? Would he have gotten better since he has been with the program for 5 years and healthier without TJ???
              I think we don't know what we had in Tevin until this year. Two years ago we had Marshall, Parks, Moffitt and Bittle so Tevin was pushed down the pecking order. He still played 14 minutes a game with all of those players ahead of him. He played really good defense last year. Tevin's offense is really a surprise to me this year. That might be another thing TJ's staff did but I don't know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                I think I remember that some schools were looking at coach Smith from USD after last year. He did win the regular season but that was about it (so far). Of course, I think it was schools like Wright State not Iowa so that is a big difference. It seems to me that TJ isn't the type of coach that would want to stay at a smaller school longer than he needs to.
                I think the opposite ... Unless an Iowa, Iowa State or P5 school comes-a-callin he's likely to stay for a while. Moving onto a Wright State or Ohio or Northern Iowa technically might be a slight upgrade ... but I think the devil that you know versus what you don't know is a big factor.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                  I think TJ did a good coaching job last year but I think SDSU had some really nice pieces for him to use. Daum, Reed, Ian, Lane and Tevin were all here two years ago and they are 5 of our top 9 players this year. TJ did add Howell, Orris and Hess (when healthy) last year and we have Jenkins, Key and Howell this year but we are still using those original 5 quite a bit.
                  This year Skyler is playing better but is that TJ or not? Would he have gotten better since he has been with the program for 5 years and healthier without TJ???
                  I think we don't know what we had in Tevin until this year. Two years ago we had Marshall, Parks, Moffitt and Bittle so Tevin was pushed down the pecking order. He still played 14 minutes a game with all of those players ahead of him. He played really good defense last year. Tevin's offense is really a surprise to me this year. That might be another thing TJ's staff did but I don't know for sure.
                  I understand your point. The situation up at Fargo is similar now that the guys on the roster are all now truly "Richmand's".

Comment

I think the opposite ... Unless an Iowa, Iowa State or P5 school comes-a-callin he's likely to stay for a while. Moving onto a Wright State or Ohio or Northern Iowa technically might be a slight upgrade ... but I think the devil that you know versus what you don't know is a big factor.
                    Plus big programs might need to see him coach his guys. His success so far has been basically using the players he inherited. When you get argueably a top 50 player in the country, that was the previous coaches recruit. He might want to build his brand and resume better before he starts looking. Another NCAA trip might just be enough for teams to reach out to him though. Plus in my blue tinted glasses, I would like to think SDSU brightest days are still a head of in for basketball. once frost is updated that will be huge. building a stronger conference would be a great boost also.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      Plus big programs might need to see him coach his guys. His success so far has been basically using the players he inherited. When you get argueably a top 50 player in the country, that was the previous coaches recruit. He might want to build his brand and resume better before he starts looking. Another NCAA trip might just be enough for teams to reach out to him though. Plus in my blue tinted glasses, I would like to think SDSU brightest days are still a head of in for basketball. once frost is updated that will be huge. building a stronger conference would be a great boost also.
                      I agree that the brightest days are ahead of the program. If the players that TJ has brought in so far are any indication, I think that we are also in for some really entertaining basketball.
                      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Holy cow! This has gotten pretty comical.

Next game please!

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          The first half of this post is spot on. I don't mean this as a knock on TJ but how would Nagy have done with that roster last year? Meaning that it would have been the same scheme, coach, and the boat wouldn't have been rocked. My guess is the record would have been better. Of course TJ and the staff had some struggles. That is to be expected. And to finish the way they did was fantastic.

Now it is time to see the players he brings in, how much smoother things are in the second year, and where the record shakes out.

I sure as heck hope we have such a great year that he is on the radar for other schools. ISN'T THAT KIND OF WHAT WE WANT?

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

If Otz does move on with a very good record, it only makes the head coaching job at SDSU more attractive to aspiring candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                              The first half of this post is spot on. I don't mean this as a knock on TJ but how would Nagy have done with that roster last year? Meaning that it would have been the same scheme, coach, and the boat wouldn't have been rocked. My guess is the record would have been better. Of course TJ and the staff had some struggles. That is to be expected. And to finish the way they did was fantastic.
                              Nagy wouldn't have left himself with a bare cupboard at PG, that would be one big difference I could think of from year to year.

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              If Otz does move on with a very good record, it only makes the head coaching job at SDSU more attractive to aspiring candidates.
                              This was the exact statement I was thinking. Becoming a "springboard" to bigger opportunities isn't necessarily a bad place.
                              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                                Nagy wouldn't have left himself with a bare cupboard at PG, that would be one big difference I could think of from year to year.
                                Nagy did leave the PG/SG cupboard bare. If not for TJ bringing in a couple of transfers (something Nagy has not shown a propensity to do) the situation would've been a lot worse.

The lack of depth and lack of experience behind the guard position last season is and was on Nagy.

Comment

Working...
                                X