Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits @ Ole Miss Rebels

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    I'm extremely impressed with this win. This team had every reason to fold down the stretch and didn't. They showed an incredible amount of toughness in the last five minutes of regulation and overtime.
    So am I, a SEC win doesn’t happen daily. After watching the DSU highlights, these guys are ready for the rest of the schedule .

Comment

Ole Miss Press Conference:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai78ZRsrSx4

Comment

Good morning y'all. Still smiling over the Jacks gutting out that win last night.

Had a chance to look at the Box Score this morning and there were some interesting stats on there:

1. We outrebounded Ole Miss by 2 last night 33-31. It just didn't feel that way.
        2. We had a school record 18 3's going 18 of 41 from deep for 44%. Really impressive.
        3. We only shot 14 FT's and made 11 of them. Ole Miss shot 27.
        4. Ole Miss was 18 for 27 from deep for 26%

Was shocked we won the rebounding battle. Just felt like we were getting pummeled. The thing that strikes me is both the number of 3's we took and the percentage we shot. 41 of our 74 shots were from past the arc. We shot 43.9% from 3 and 47.3% for the game. On the contrary, Ole Miss took 27 of their 72 shots from past the arc. Here's what scares me about all that. If we don't shoot that number of threes and hit that percentage or if Ole Miss hits a better percentage than the outcome of the game would have been different. As mentioned in the posts above, shooting the ball from deep is how the game is played now. I get it and agree with that. However, to shoot that high of a percentage isn't going to happen often. There needs to be more balance. We only shot 14 FT's last night. Last year Daum alone averaged 9 attempts a game.

Maybe I'm whacking the proverbial dead horse here. I'm like any other armchair quarterback, it is easy to see things in hindsight. No doubt the way things played out last night was dictated partially by the way Ole Miss defended us. Maybe there plan was to force Daum and the Jacks to beat them from long range? Maybe it was our plan to more prominently feature the 3 last night. Only the coaches and players know that.

I'm just excited about the opportunity this team has and love the fighting spirit that they showed last night. That can take you a long way. My apologies if I'm being too critical, after all they did win the game, right?

Going to be a fun ride this year!

SUEPRBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
          I like that guy. No sugar coating with him.

Comment

I get it that we can't count on hitting 15+ 3's on any given night but why stop shooting them when they are falling at an amazing rate? If they are going in keep pouring it on! As others have said, mid-major teams typically don't have the talent to bang away on the inside with a P5 team. Hot shooting is almost always how these wins happen and I'm excited that we have the talent to get it done. We'll have more options when we start playing Summit-caliber teams and can only learn from games like last night.

Comment

Key is a good player that can do some damage, but he needs to figure out what he can and can't get away with. There was a point in the early 2nd half where we were weathering Ole Miss' run and got back up by 11, then Key made 2 really bad turnovers in a row that led to easy fast break buckets. From there on, it was a dog fight. You can tell that he's used to being able to make some sloppy plays, but that's just not going to fly at this level. I have faith that he will figure it out and be a key piece to this team.

Comment

Its time to get excited about this team. 2 wins vs P5 schools isn't going to happen the vast majority of years.

The addition of Jenkins and the addition of an offensive game for Tevin King gives this team a chance to be special. To be able to have King's rebounding(9 boards last night), absolute lock down defense, toughness on the floor for 30+ minutes night without him being an offensive liability is huge. It's still early but Jenkins has the look of the next special "once every 20 years player" that we've had the privilege of watching twice already in the last 6-7 years.

Another huge opportunity on Saturday vs Missouri St which is picked to win the MVC. This would be another important "neutral" site win to add to the resume. Get out and support this event at the Pentagon!! It's huge to get a game of this calibur in Sioux Falls annually and needs to be supported by the local fan base or it will simply not be here forever.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                  Key is a good player that can do some damage, but he needs to figure out what he can and can't get away with. There was a point in the early 2nd half where we were weathering Ole Miss' run and got back up by 11, then Key made 2 really bad turnovers in a row that led to easy fast break buckets. From there on, it was a dog fight. You can tell that he's used to being able to make some sloppy plays, but that's just not going to fly at this level. I have faith that he will figure it out and be a key piece to this team.
                  What I keep telling myself is that, even with the early success, these guys are still learning how to play actual games together. Key just has to adapt to the quicker defenders and once he does that he will be a very valuable asset. For all of his success, I think that Jenkins Jr is still getting a feel for this level as well...I have to keep reminding people that he is a true freshman.

Add them to the fact that Daum has seemed a bit off and this could be a fun conference season.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Not from this game, but wanted to post it anyways. This video is from the Alabama St game in Frost. They decided to mic-up Otz and give us an inside look into what he's doing. Interesting video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI93cbwyUJo
                    Rollin' in my 5.0
                    With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                    Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                      The Jacks have been running a lot of drive and kick plays, and Key gets in trouble when he goes airborne and finds he doesn't have any good options, and either makes a bad pass or throws up a prayer shot. He's not alone in this- King and Jenkins, Jr. did it a time or two also. Orris did this last year, but later in the year he started to keep his dribble alive and would work his way along the baseline and out of trouble. Hopefully Key will figure out a way to cut the turnovers, as I think he does bring good things to the table. If he doesn't, he is going to see his minutes decrease.

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
                        Not from this game, but wanted to post it anyways. This video is from the Alabama St game in Frost. They decided to mic-up Otz and give us an inside look into what he's doing. Interesting video.

That was awesome to watch. Thanks for posting.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Just to echo the thought that in years past, no way they hold on and win, after giving up the lead, on the road.

That showed some real grit.

I also was quite frustrated with the officiating. They called a couple touch fouls on Daum, and one on Telly, and they were getting away with all kinds of physical play. That offensive rebound putback was atrocious. He knocked Tevin King (who was in position) to the floor! Go stand next to Tevin King sometime... trust me, it takes some force to knock someone built like that over. The "travel" they called on Lane late...when the guy basically pushed him into moving his pivot foot.

I honestly think, the officials got wrapped up in their crowd roaring for the comeback. I think they were afraid to call anything on them.

The good thing, as much as I was losing my mind (and I yelled at the refs through the television like 10 times), the SDSU players, did NOT. They kept their calm... nobody whining, throwing their arms up (like several Ole Miss guys did...)

They aren't a great team, but Andy Kennedy is a good coach. They've had a few fun teams over the years.

And... clock operator? How do you not run the clock after the missed FT? Glad the officials called the game on the review.

BIG win for the Jackrabbits.

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post

TJ makes me want to get out there and play. We're lucky to have that guy.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I'm going to stick with my earlier assumption of Key and say he isn't ready or good enough at this time to run the point. Flame me, that's fine. But we need to fire on all cylinders and when Key is in, it doesn't happen. Can he become a player, sure, but I have my doubts unless he realizes he is undersized and works around that. But he can handle the ball like a SOB, I'll give him that.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                                But he can handle the ball like a SOB, I'll give him that.
                                I think that once he realizes that he doesn't have to do it all, just handle the ball and give it to the scoring threats on the team, he will be a huge asset. It takes awhile for these guys to reprogram themselves since they have had it so easy in high school and JC. The kid has talent and, when he figures it out, will be the guy that beat the press by himself.
                                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X