Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Game Week: UNI rd 2 (2017 playoffs)

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    They should just play our game on one of your video boards so when your fans get board from the shellacking of San Diego that will be well under way by the end of the 1st quarter, they can be entertained by our game.
    I fully expect our game against San Diego to be close through the first half at least. We had trouble running against them last year until the 4th quarter...and they appear to be better than last year...they at least are playing their best ball right now. If the Bison were to look past them...it could be a hard game.

Comment

5dimes has spoken... SDSU is a 5.5 point favorite. The total is 57.5. Predicted score of 31.5 to 26.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
        O/U 40 carries for Weymiller?

Shutting him down will be key.

Hopefully the Jacks can get the ball first and score a TD. Avoid the costly turnovers and stupid penalties.

I would be shocked if SDSU played as bad this time around as they did on Hobo Day. The weather will be perfect for December football.
        If Weymiller gets 40+ carries SDSU loses. I think if UNI has more pass attempts than rushing attempts SDSU wins

Comment

The keys to this game are extremely simple:
          Stop the run. Looking at UNI stats over the course of the year, 40 carries seems to be their magic number. Here are the games where UNI had less than 40 carries:
          - Iowa State, 22 carries for 119 yards = Loss
          - Cal Poly, 27 carries for 94 yards = Win by 7 in OT (Cal Poly finished the year with a 1-10 record)
          - Southern Utah, 28 carries for -18 yards = Loss
          - WIU, 30 carries for 35 yards = Loss
          - NDSU, 37 carries for 48 yards = Loss
          - USD, 35 carries for 55 yards = Win by 5 (UNI scored 17 points off turnovers including a pick 6)
          - UNI won every other game, and you guessed it, had 40+ carries in all those games. In only one of these games listed above did UNI have more than 100 yards rushing. Guess who UNI had their best day running the ball against prior to last weeks game against Monmouth? Yep, SDSU! We were also pretty generous in the turnover department that day! Which brings me to my next key to the game...

Don't turn the ball over. This should go without saying, but I'm going to say it, because...Hobo Day.
          Stopping the run is easy talk about and harder to actually accomplish. But this game is very simple in my mind, the outcome will largely be decided by our ability to stop the run! We accomplish both of those things, I predict a semi-comfortable victory.

Comment

My preview: http://jackrabbitillustrated.blogspo...-northern.html

SDSU's video preview:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26qF...ature=youtu.be

Obviously, UNI looks different then the team that came to Brookings. Offensively, they really depend on Fountain and Weymiller. I agree with WesternJack, if Weymiller gets 40+ touches we are in trouble. This still isn't a great offensive line but they aren't terrible either.

On defense they have replaced their two young safeties and are doing something unique with their other outside linebacker. Keelon Brookings started his career at Wisconsin as a Cornerback but is now playing that OLB position for UNI. His first extensive action was against the Jacks and he hasn't really given up that spot since.
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

It's going to take a clean game to pull this one out I think. Obvisouly, the big themes of stopping the run, etc. are important. But I think if we limit costly penalties, don't turn the ball over, and play good field position, we will win this game, even if we are only decent in the "big" theme areas.

On hobo day, as much as we didn't stop the run and didn't tackle well, we also played sloppy. Really sloppy. Bad turnovers, bad penalties, etc. It was just a sloppy game, and we didn't do much to limit their running ability.

Clean it up, and I think we can win by 10+. Play sloppy again, and their run heavy offense will amplify those mistakes and this game will slip away. I want to see the team come out fired up, focused, and sharp. Do that, and I think we can start talking about UCA.

With all that being said, this game has me incredibly nervous, because we almost never do those things listed above (focused, fired up, etc.) after a bye week.

Here's to hoping the team is rested and a little discontent after a week off and ready to exorcise a hobo day demon.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                I'm really hoping the entertaining part of our game is the offense firing on all cylinders and the D playing tough...
                I agree! Everybody is concerned about defense but if our offense comes out hot and puts points on the board their whole game plan will have to change. Force them to adjust to us.

Comment

How is the health of the team? #77 Genant ready to go (got the short end of a targeting call late in the USD game)? How about #45, Workman (on kick return team, stayed down after a real hard hit late in the USD game...hit may have been legit but the USD player penalized for standing over Workman taunting him when he was down...Workman was helped off the field and he was pretty unsteady)?

Comment

What time does the tailgate open? Is it the standard 4 or 5 hrs before kickoff or does the NCAA regulate when it can open?

Comment

Originally posted by hometownjack View Post
                      What time does the tailgate open? Is it the standard 4 or 5 hrs before kickoff or does the NCAA regulate when it can open?
                      When the NCAA Selection Committee has complaints about their 24 selections, would they really care about when the tailgate in Brookings South Dakota opens? I think your standard rule applies.

Comment

I see on social media they are begging students to buy $5 tickets. Is attendance going to be a problem?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          I see on social media they are begging students to buy $5 tickets. Is attendance going to be a problem?
                          1 post directed at students is hardly begging. You'd be amazed how oblivious students tend to be about campus events, even though it is practically slapping them in the face every time they walk through the Union.
                          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                            1 post directed at students is hardly begging. You'd be amazed how oblivious students tend to be about campus events, even though it is practically slapping them in the face every time they walk through the Union.
                            When I was a student it was bad with students who apparently had no idea any sporting event was ever happening. example of a conversation when I was a student. Can we do our group project after 9 since there is a basketball game I plan to go too.....Oh, there is a game, I would go but never know when they are......oh, well they are advertised around, like the paper and the athletic website etc.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Hoping for a much better game than the last time the Jacks faced those sons of guns.

I honestly think without a big ole meltdown, like the last game, the Jackrabbits can win this.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                                I just posted this in the ticket info thread but read this and it applies here too.

I talked to a student yesterday who is fairly active when it comes to sporting events and she didn't even know there was a football game this weekend. She had no idea the jacks made the playoffs let alone were good enough the get a seed. Now that she knows there is a game I asked her if she was going to go and she said no because she had to work until 1:00. I told her the game didn't start until 2:00 and she would have plenty of time to get across town and go but she said if she couldn't tailgate before what was the point in going.

I think this is a very much a common feeling when it comes to our whole fan base not just the students.

Comment

Working...
                                X