Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Game Week: UNI rd 2 (2017 playoffs)

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
    I just posted this in the ticket info thread but read this and it applies here too.

I talked to a student yesterday who is fairly active when it comes to sporting events and she didn't even know there was a football game this weekend. She had no idea the jacks made the playoffs let alone were good enough the get a seed. Now that she knows there is a game I asked her if she was going to go and she said no because she had to work until 1:00. I told her the game didn't start until 2:00 and she would have plenty of time to get across town and go but she said if she couldn't tailgate before what was the point in going.

I think this is a very much a common feeling when it comes to our whole fan base not just the students.
    WOW. Just....wow.
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I just posted this in the ticket info thread but read this and it applies here too.

I talked to a student yesterday who is fairly active when it comes to sporting events and she didn't even know there was a football game this weekend. She had no idea the jacks made the playoffs let alone were good enough the get a seed. Now that she knows there is a game I asked her if she was going to go and she said no because she had to work until 1:00. I told her the game didn't start until 2:00 and she would have plenty of time to get across town and go but she said if she couldn't tailgate before what was the point in going.

I think this is a very much a common feeling when it comes to our whole fan base not just the students.
      Basically trickles down to a student that is there for a social event when it comes to sports. Nothing wrong with it...just shows that the sport isn't a priority with that person. I can't say I'm completely up on all the sports at NDSU. I follow our football (duh), basketball, and volleyball. The rest of the sports I hear bits and pieces about.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
        WOW. Just....wow.
        You wouldn't know what was going on if your wife didn't keep you updated. You aren't fooling anyone.

Comment

Social experiment time.

I think at lunch, I'm going to sit at a local establishment and ask 100 random people if:

A. They know there is a football game this weekend.
          B. If they do, are they going to go.

I'll report back with the results.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

WOW. Just....wow.
            I'm really not surprised at all. Like TAB said, students will go if it's a social event. This is true at all levels of college football. It needs to get to a point where the Dana is the place to be on football Saturdays, and if you're not there you missed out. The same is true for casual fans. The NDSU game had so much buzz because it was the place to be in SD that Saturday. Until that's the general thought about SDSU games in general, casual fans won't feel like they're missing out.

Comment

If that is fairly active I can only guess what less active is like.

Comment

Anyone expecting more than a 1/3 full student section is likely going to be disappointed. The $5 alone is going to chase off most of the typically-casual student fans, then there's the whole December thing. I don't know how you'd fix it, outside of playing USD or maybe NDSU.

I'm still seeing mid-40's with a light wind for Saturday. That's a stroke of luck. UNI is going to be tough enough without having to face them on a day when passing is hardly an option. I still can't believe we end up facing a team like that right off the bat.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                  If that is fairly active I can only guess what less active is like.
                  And when I say fairly active it means she went to the football games in the regular season and doesnt miss very many basketball games (men or women).

Comment

Social experiment time.

I think at lunch, I'm going to sit at a local establishment and ask 100 random people if:

A. They know there is a football game this weekend.
                    B. If they do, are they going to go.

I'll report back with the results.
                    Ok, so I didn't actually get 100 people, because

A. I needed to get back here and get this typed in and eat lunch.
                    2. I didn't want to be to much of a nuisance to the place(s) I was soliciting in front of (I did make sure to have permission.)

I polled 33 random people.

25 are not going, 3 of which didn't even know there was a game, and 3 more said they are going to watch on tv.
                    5 people are going.
                    3 people are "maybe's".

This poll means nothing however, as I expect 19k in the Dana...rain, shine, snow or sleet!

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                      Anyone expecting more than a 1/3 full student section is likely going to be disappointed. The $5 alone is going to chase off most of the typically-casual student fans, then there's the whole December thing. I don't know how you'd fix it, outside of playing USD or maybe NDSU.
                      Does the opponent really matter that much ? Over 4000 showed up for the season opener against hated Duquesne ( hint - it was on a Thursday night.)

Comment

Ok, so I didn't actually get 100 people, because

A. I needed to get back here and get this typed in and eat lunch.
                        2. I didn't want to be to much of a nuisance to the place(s) I was soliciting in front of (I did make sure to have permission.)

I polled 33 random people.

25 are not going, 3 of which didn't even know there was a game, and 3 more said they are going to watch on tv.
                        5 people are going.
                        3 people are "maybe's".

This poll means nothing however, as I expect 19k in the Dana...rain, shine, snow or sleet!
                        I bet your poll is much more accurate than you may think.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                          I bet your poll is much more accurate than you may think.
                          So if 20% of people in Brookings attend SDSU football this weekend, that is about 4,779 people (based on 2016 census). If 20% of the enrolled students attend that is 2,505...or basically the entire incoming freshman class. Those numbers would get us almost halfway to what coach wanted. Now, I think that the resident number is pretty close, but the student section will be about half. Again, I hope that I am wrong.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I seriously doubt we'll have over 800 students. Hope I'm wrong.

Comment

I'm a student and in The Pride, so I don't need a ticket. If another student is really considering not going because of a $5 ticket price, I'll give them the $5 so that they can go to this game! (I don't really need the beer money. )

Also, what is the likelihood I could buy a ticket at the Pentagon on Saturday for the basketball game rather than buying one online? Still working it out if I can get down there for that after the football game and don't want to buy a ticket I won't use.
                              Rollin' in my 5.0
                              With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                              Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
                                I'm a student and in The Pride, so I don't need a ticket. If another student is really considering not going because of a $5 ticket price, I'll give them the $5 so that they can go to this game! (I don't really need the beer money. )

Also, what is the likelihood I could buy a ticket at the Pentagon on Saturday for the basketball game rather than buying one online? Still working it out if I can get down there for that after the football game and don't want to buy a ticket I won't use.
                                The way it looked yesterday on Ticketmaster, there are plenty of tickets available. I'm sure there will be tickets for walk-up buyers on Saturday.

Comment

Working...
                                X