GDT: Hawkeyes vs Jackrabbits on the Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Hawkeyes vs Jackrabbits on the Island

Plenty of attention from this win on social media yesterday. Some more traditional also, like this feature on Sports Center. Big win.

https://twitter.com/kevconnorsespn/s...92994953539584

Comment

From a fans point of view, a game featuring Iowa vs Kansas would tell us a few things, but no meeting is scheduled until they meet in the big one that counts. I could not find where Iowa is to finish in the Big Ten but not to high if two mid majors beat them two days in a row. Things are looking good for SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        From a fans point of view, a game featuring Iowa vs Kansas would tell us a few things, but no meeting is scheduled until they meet in the big one that counts. I could not find where Iowa is to finish in the Big Ten but not to high if two mid majors beat them two days in a row. Things are looking good for SDSU.
        One site had them finishing ninth, not sure Iowa fans feel that optimistic anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
          One site had them finishing ninth, not sure Iowa fans feel that optimistic anymore.
          Thanks and Kansas would be at least a 40 point favorite over Iowa. Iowa is apparently at a low point and can only get better.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            Key will be fine. Nothing against Orris, but Key is an upgrade. He just needs to manage the game and not get out of control or try to do too much.
            Not sure I agree with that. Orris had some intangibles that Key just doesn't possess....yet anyways. Time will tell.
            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
              Not sure I agree with that. Orris had some intangibles that Key just doesn't possess....yet anyways. Time will tell.
              OR MAYBE WE WILL NEVER KNOW.
              In just one year the skill levels have changed and we probably have the best talent to date. Even with a magic wan, and the bodies of Don Jacobsen, Nick Brod, Wayne Rasumussen of the 1960's or even Mark Tetzlaff of the 1980's are restored to their youthful peak, they most likely would be riding the pine behind the current roster. The game has changed and the talent is so much better and will continue to get better. I tend to agree with UWMandSDSU, Key is probably an improvement. Otz made the final decision on Key recruitment, and I think it was a good one. And this opinion is based on not seeing a single SDSU game in person or on TV.

Comment

I think the memory of Orris hitting the shot skews all of our memories of his actual on-court play. Don't forget that even Orris struggled in the beginning of the season last year during our revolving door of point guards.

I like the speed and ability to penetrate that Key gives us. He, like Orris last year, are learning on the fly.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                  I think the memory of Orris hitting the shot skews all of our memories of his actual on-court play. Don't forget that even Orris struggled in the beginning of the season last year during our revolving door of point guards.

I like the speed and ability to penetrate that Key gives us. He, like Orris last year, are learning on the fly.
                  Orris played 117 of 120 minutes in the Summit Tournament. We don't even get to his "shot" without everything else he brought to the table leading up to that. Key will undoubtedly get better, but there is ZERO chance our season turns around last year without Orris.
                  "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Orris played 117 of 120 minutes in the Summit Tournament. We don't even get to his "shot" without everything else he brought to the table leading up to that. Key will undoubtedly get better, but there is ZERO chance our season turns around last year without Orris.
                    Orris was a real work horse, that we can not deny and his one year as a Jack was extremely productive, but we move on.

Comment

GDT: Hawkeyes vs Jackrabbits on the Island

Orris brought a ton of intangibles by the end of the year -veteran toughness, character and smarts that went way beyond his skills. However, there's no denying that he (and the PG position in general) were a mess at Thanksgiving last year. Remember the games at the Pentagon? Yikes! At that point Orris and Howell looked like they would both be in sweats at the end of the bench all year. I'm more than ok with Key struggling and trying to do to much at times this year. We have a long way to go and at the end of the day it's ultimately most about the finished product that takes the floor in Sioux Falls about 100 days from now.

Comment

Working...
                      X