Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Hawkeyes vs Jackrabbits on the Island

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
    Been very happy with Tevin King as the PG. (I know this was only 1 game starting...but he's played point when Key has gone to the bench in the other games)

He may not be the "traditional point guard", but he's a great defender and having him on the court with other shooters is important.

I'm not giving up on Brandon Key, either, by any means. Tevin just has a steady hand and I think it's hard to have Key and Tevin on the floor at the same time. (2 guys who don't look to shoot much, although TK is looking better)

I said this earlier in the thread, but I think the eventual lineup is: King, Jenkins, Howell, Telly, Daum. (Or maybe you put Severyn/Flatten in for Howell, sounds like he struggled today, too). I just like how Howell doesn't play scared. But he doesn't always make the smart play.
    Right now I think our best lineup is:

King, Jenkins, Severyn, Telly, Daum

Severyn adds toughness and hustle that I haven't seen enough of from Flatten and Howell. I want Flatten to take off as much as anyone, but it just seems like he's too timid at this point. He's got the athletic ability to be a really good player, I just think he needs to get more comfortable. Howell can be a really good scoring threat when we need a kick start, but I think he's best served coming off the bench.

If King continues to play like he did today, there's no reason he doesn't start and put in a lot of minutes the rest of the year.

Jenkins is just a baller. He plays and acts like he's a Junior already. Listening to the post game interview you can just tell that he gets it. Going to be a special player.

We have a lot of good pieces and this is probably the deepest team the Jacks have had in a long while. It's a matter of finding the right combinations at this point, which I believe Otz will do. This team has a good chance of dominating the Summit League.

Comment

Very good win! King and Jenkins, wow! King is so tough and has an all-around game, and Jenkins obviously is a great and needed scorer. Mix in established studs Daum and Telly with the others, and this could be a great team by tourney time.
      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
        Very good win! King and Jenkins, wow! King is so tough and has an all-around game, and Jenkins obviously is a great and needed scorer. Mix in established studs Daum and Telly with the others, and this could be a great team by tourney time.
        Going into this tournament I assumed we would go 2-1. If Daum can shake whatever is going on and get back to form, this team is going to to be scary good on the offensive end.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Another would be nice, but that win definitely makes the trip worthwhile. I'd expect it to do a lot for the team's confidence, which had to be a little rattled after the KU game.

There are going to be some bumps in the road as the pieces fall into place (especially with a brand new PG), but the potential looks good right now. We're sure a long way ahead of last year and I seem to recall that turning out pretty well. Imagine what Jenkins might be capable of by March if he's already scoring at this rate.

Comment

King's dunk, whoa....https://twitter.com/FloHoops/status/933031842546151424

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
              Man, thoughts and prayers to that guy. Hopefully SDSU sends his family flowers.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                Another would be nice, but that win definitely makes the trip worthwhile. I'd expect it to do a lot for the team's confidence, which had to be a little rattled after the KU game.

There are going to be some bumps in the road as the pieces fall into place (especially with a brand new PG), but the potential looks good right now. We're sure a long way ahead of last year and I seem to recall that turning out pretty well. Imagine what Jenkins might be capable of by March if he's already scoring at this rate.
                I think King and Key will be a nice 1-2 punch at point guard. Very, VERY different players. Key needs to figure out what he can and can't get away with at the D-I level. Once that happens I think he will be very effective, especially when subbing in and out with the bouncier, taller, stronger King. Key is faster than King . . . sometimes a bit too fast; he gets himself into trouble that he can't get out of. He and his teammates need to learn when Key has to make that last pass after he drives. He can't let himself get too deep in the canyons underneath the basket especially against taller teams unless he's got an open path to the basket.

King will play more minutes at PG against upper-D-I teams simply because I think he matches up better with the talent at that level.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I could watch that loop for hours. It's definitely going to age nicely with my Hawkeye loving friends.

Comment

Flatten did not play in the second half, Howell and Key got 3 minutes each. Ian quietly had a nice game. Nine boards and zero turnovers in 20 minutes.

Comment

King had some awesome blocks last March in the SLT as well.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Pretty huge win. We need Iowa to win some big ten games and turn this in to a marquee type win.

Can’t believe what I’m seeing from King. Thought he was destined to be a bench defensive sub but he is scoring! The guy is finishing at the rim and knocking down enough jumpers to keep the guy guarding him from just clogging the lane. Incredible improvement.

Jenkins had a rough 2 game stretch but redeemed himself today. He’s deadly if he sticks to the controlled set jumpers and timely drives avoiding the wild off balance shots.

When Daum returns from this mini slump we’ve got a chance to have a special team.

Comment

Fun fact: we are undefeated against Iowa and Iowa State since we've gone D1.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            I think King and Key will be a nice 1-2 punch at point guard. Very, VERY different players. Key needs to figure out what he can and can't get away with at the D-I level. Once that happens I think he will be very effective, especially when subbing in and out with the bouncier, taller, stronger King. Key is faster than King . . . sometimes a bit too fast; he gets himself into trouble that he can't get out of. He and his teammates need to learn when Key has to make that last pass after he drives. He can't let himself get too deep in the canyons underneath the basket especially against taller teams unless he's got an open path to the basket.

King will play more minutes at PG against upper-D-I teams simply because I think he matches up better with the talent at that level.
                            i was very impressed how we were able to score as a team. I think along the lines of others that we will end up with King, Daum, Telly, J jr., and to me the fifth is whoever. I have a bad feeling Key is going to end up being too small to be effective?
                            I wish I could have watched it versus only getting to listen in and out with work.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                              i was very impressed how we were able to score as a team. I think along the lines of others that we will end up with King, Daum, Telly, J jr., and to me the fifth is whoever. I have a bad feeling Key is going to end up being too small to be effective?
                              I wish I could have watched it versus only getting to listen in and out with work.
                              Key, once he gets acclimated to the game, will be a valuable ball handler. His speed, I think, will help defensively during the conference season.
                              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                                Key will be fine. Nothing against Orris, but Key is an upgrade. He just needs to manage the game and not get out of control or try to do too much.

Comment

Working...
                                X