Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Cowboys vs Jackrabbits in the Cayman Islands

Definitely still football season.

If the Jackrabbit men's basketball team lays an egg in the Caymans (2) and no one calls for . . . er . . . "drastic measures," (1) did it really happen?

(1) Classical if oblique reference to an (in)famous but rather recent football forum thread.

(2) Lots of free-range chickens (3) running around here in the Caymans.

(3) If you're in the Caymans, try a restaurant called "Chicken! Chicken!" Steady stream of locals in and out of the place.

(4) Sorry for the footnotes.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Maybe I am missing something. But, I have been to most every home game the last few years. It just seems with TJ we don't really have a offensive scheme that really amounts to much. I get last year, he had to work with what he had, it turned out well too. But this year I watch them run a weave up top and it seems like we end up relying on a drive into the heart of the defense and either we throw up a poor shot or kick it out for a three. We need to have more of a inside prescence, IMO. Now I don't know how exactly we are going to do that, but that is just my 2 cents. Take it easy BTW, I'm just a newby!

Comment

I think the outside 3 point shot is a part of the offense. We just need some more offensive rebounds on the days the bricks are launched.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

As much as I would prefer to win every game these early games are more for practice than anything else. TJ can better evaluate his own talent and what does or doesn't work so well against good competition. I'm betting we see a much different looking team late in the season when it matters. He has already proved he is not afraid to change things at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
            I think the outside 3 point shot is a part of the offense. We just need some more offensive rebounds on the days the bricks are launched.
            I agree, it's great when it works. But when it doesn't you need to have another option. IDK

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
              As much as I would prefer to win every game these early games are more for practice than anything else. TJ can better evaluate his own talent and what does or doesn't work so well against good competition. I'm betting we see a much different looking team late in the season when it matters. He has already proved he is not afraid to change things at any time.
              True, and most of these teams have had (I assume, except today) a longer term coach. It's just frustrating to watch, It seems to me we should have more of a offensive scheme. The last I was able to watch the D play I was impressed with their responsiveness.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                True, and most of these teams have had (I assume, except today) a longer term coach. It's just frustrating to watch, It seems to me we should have more of a offensive scheme. The last I was able to watch the D play I was impressed with their responsiveness.
                Keep posting new takes are refreshing.

Comment

Maybe I am missing something. But, I have been to most every home game the last few years. It just seems with TJ we don't really have a offensive scheme that really amounts to much. I get last year, he had to work with what he had, it turned out well too. But this year I watch them run a weave up top and it seems like we end up relying on a drive into the heart of the defense and either we throw up a poor shot or kick it out for a three. We need to have more of a inside prescence, IMO. Now I don't know how exactly we are going to do that, but that is just my 2 cents. Take it easy BTW, I'm just a newby!
                  I think you have a good point. The purpose of the weave is to get Daum free for a good shot. That isn't happening. Something has to change.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    Definitely still football season.

If the Jackrabbit men's basketball team lays an egg in the Caymans (2) and no one calls for . . . er . . . "drastic measures," (1) did it really happen?

(1) Classical if oblique reference to an (in)famous but rather recent football forum thread.

(2) Lots of free-range chickens (3) running around here in the Caymans.

(3) If you're in the Caymans, try a restaurant called "Chicken! Chicken!" Steady stream of locals in and out of the place.

(4) Sorry for the footnotes.
                    Fun side note here. 10 years ago last month wife and I went on a Caribbean cruise for our honeymoon. Planned to go to Jamaica and cayman islands. Turns out a tropical storm started the day we got there. They closed the islands and we had to go to the cozumel which we did not like and to key West. Went on a pub tour at about noon. It was a blast. Also there is a hot sauce place there. Peppers of key West. We still order marinades from there. There jerk is tops in my book. Anyway back to the tread.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Just like last year, the Jacks have to break in a new point guard on the fly, which is bound to cause some offensive issues until things become more familiar. Having listened to all the games on the radio where you can hear Otz yelling, they definitely want to push the ball, especially when Key is in the game. With Daum on the perimeter a lot, we don't have much of an inside presence unless Ian is in the game.

Comment

We're making it too complicated. Sometimes you just gotta dump it down to Daum on either block or baseline extended and let him go to work.
                        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Disappointing, but learn from it and get better.

Seasons aren't won in November, anyway. Not excusing the loss, but it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            Just like last year, the Jacks have to break in a new point guard on the fly, which is bound to cause some offensive issues until things become more familiar. Having listened to all the games on the radio where you can hear Otz yelling, they definitely want to push the ball, especially when Key is in the game. With Daum on the perimeter a lot, we don't have much of an inside presence unless Ian is in the game.

Last year, SDSU started 4 different players at PG and they started Orris at the beginning and end to it took a while for TJ to figure out what he was doing. I hope that since he has a year of coaching experience and a year with most of these players, he won't take as long to figure it out this season.
                            I hope that Key adjusts to playing at SDSU soon, too. He has 22 assists and 17 TO's. I hope he doesn't keep that percentage up all season. Orris had just about twice as many assists and TO's. Orris also had a much higher FG % that Key. I think Key will adjust but when you have a new PG that is struggling, it hurts the team.
                            Jenkins Jr shot well the first 3 games if the season. The last game he had as many TO"s as he had points. He will figure it out, too.
                            Howell has only had 1 good game so far this season, too. I heard some people talk him as a possible all-conference but how long can you make it on just drives to the basket at the DI level? He does rebound good for him height though.
                            Ian has played 20 minutes in each of the last 2 games and only scored 1 point in each game. I don't think he should be scoring 15 points a game but if you play 20 minutes, hopefully he can get 8 points or so. His last 6 FG attempts were all 3-points FG's. He is mainly a defender and rebounder but a couple of buckets down low would be nice.
                            We are only 5 games in so it might take a while to figure it out. I hope they do figure it out soon though.

Comment

https://ohvarsity.com/lets-talk-abou...c-effbf991e56b

"The Cayman Islands Classic might be the worst event in NCAA history. I wrote about it."
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                                https://ohvarsity.com/lets-talk-abou...c-effbf991e56b

"The Cayman Islands Classic might be the worst event in NCAA history. I wrote about it."
                                Rofl that's is so sad it's funny.

I admit, when I saw that gif of Kings put back dunk earlier today, I saw the gym and did wonder what kind of roly poly set up this tournament was.
                                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Working...
                                X