Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Playoff ticket info

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
    Did you ever receive credit for attending Fine Arts events or speakers on campus?

Like I said, it'd have to be linked to the course. Students in the social sciences could write a brief summary of crowd demographics, behavior, etc.

One could argue that such an approach could help bridge the gap between academics and athletics and possibly promote greater understanding.
    I was an engineer, so, no.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The exposure we receive from MIDCO/ESPN3 is a double-edged sword. Sure it gives our alumni across the country a chance to watch their team, but it also is a great opportunity for the locals to stay in the comfort of their own home to take in the game at minimal cost.

Like the NFL, I think there are a lot of folks that are perfectly content - some might even say prefer - to watch the game from home with readily available access to bathrooms, food, and priority seating.

That and we should have built a dome

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
        The exposure we receive from MIDCO/ESPN3 is a double-edged sword. Sure it gives our alumni across the country a chance to watch their team, but it also is a great opportunity for the locals to stay in the comfort of their own home to take in the game at minimal cost.

Like the NFL, I think there are a lot of folks that are perfectly content - some might even say prefer - to watch the game from home with readily available access to bathrooms, food, and priority seating.

That and we should have built a dome
        Haha. All you had to do was donate a 100 million or so. Heck, you still could.

Comment

Case in point the job Coach Bono has done to create buzz around the Wrestling program is nothing short of a miracle. He works the marketing tirelessly and is starting to see that work pay off. And to top it off the budget he is running on is very minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
            If we are trying to recruit the younger generation of Jackrabbit fans, television commercials and local news isn't the way to go about it. The amount of people that are dropping cable or who utilize their DVR to skip commercial breaks is growing every year. Social media is the best way to interact with the under 40 crowd now it seems. Heck, I am 41 and I haven't watched local news in probably 8 years. But, I do click on the links I get here and on my Twitter/Facebook page. It is up to us to retweet and share to get the word out as well
            I haven't watched local news in at least 8 years either. I'm about 5 years younger than you.

It has been a MASSIVE blunder to have such abysmal data reception in the stadium.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              I haven't watched local news in at least 8 years either. I'm about 5 years younger than you.

It has been a MASSIVE blunder to have such abysmal data reception in the stadium.
              I would say the inability to reliably tweet/post during the game is a HUGE miss. What better way to generate interest in going to a game than by having actual people showing a good time. This is especially big for the students.

On a side note, just went to the ticket site to see what was available and it isn't pretty. As of 12:45pm, there were 3,827 tickets available on the west side and 5,088 available on the east side.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

If we are trying to recruit the younger generation of Jackrabbit fans, television commercials and local news isn't the way to go about it. The amount of people that are dropping cable or who utilize their DVR to skip commercial breaks is growing every year. Social media is the best way to interact with the under 40 crowd now it seems. Heck, I am 41 and I haven't watched local news in probably 8 years. But, I do click on the links I get here and on my Twitter/Facebook page. It is up to us to retweet and share to get the word out as well
                Fair point- I'm older that that so I don't do any/much twitter/Facebook. I did stop the the Union today (the Bookstore has 30% off everything in the store) and they have posters hanging up the all 3 doors. They are not on the door but and the bulletin boards by the doors. The boards are fairly full but there are posters there. They also have people from the ticket off standing in the hallway selling ticket to anybody that walks by.

Comment

I would say the inability to reliably tweet/post during the game is a HUGE miss. What better way to generate interest in going to a game than by having actual people showing a good time. This is especially big for the students.
                  I have heard this complaint before from fans at the game and disregarded it. Then I went to a game in October for the first time in years and I was frustrated by the inability of not having any cell service. I was going to post photos of the game day experience on Facebook, but could not do it. Once the game was over I just blew it off and never posted anything. It is free advertising to the school and the athletic department. I am sure they can get this fixed. I have been to Cal-Berkley, Stanford and Washington St. games and have not had an issue. They have 40 to 50 thousand fans at the games, I am sure we can fix this problem with less than 20,000 at a game.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                    I have heard this complaint before from fans at the game and disregarded it. Then I went to a game in October for the first time in years and I was frustrated by the inability of not having any cell service. I was going to post photos of the game day experience on Facebook, but could not do it. Once the game was over I just blew it off and never posted anything. It is free advertising to the school and the athletic department. I am sure they can get this fixed. I have been to Cal-Berkley, Stanford and Washington St. games and have not had an issue. They have 40 to 50 thousand fans at the games, I am sure we can fix this problem with less than 20,000 at a game.
                    I think about some of the catches that Dallas has made the past couple years and wonder how many great angles there would have been on social media had the service been better. The instant mentions would have been amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                      I encourage you all to email/write/call the Athletic Administration regarding this. More the merrier.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2010 View Post
                        I encourage you all to email/write/call the Athletic Administration regarding this. More the merrier.
                        Has the admin ever come out as say what the issue is? It can't be a bandwidth issue since there are way more wireless devices being used on a regular basis on campus during the week.

Comment

Has the admin ever come out as say what the issue is? It can't be a bandwidth issue since there are way more wireless devices being used on a regular basis on campus during the week.
                          The connectivity issue at the stadium (and frankly in Frost Arena, where it sucks too) is of two parts, one of which is wholly under the control of SDSU:

1) the part totally in SDSU's control, is wifi access for fans. This is a pure and simple issue of funding and operating enough access points and bandwidth to accommodate fan connectivity. Frost Arena's "SDSU-Guest" wifi network hasn't worked yet this year when I've been there. It's nonexistent in the football stadium if you get outside Club 73.

2) The part not totally in SDSU's control is 4G/LTE connectivity. Mine admittedly sucks worse than most in SD because I've got Sprint. Right now, here in Brookings in my hotel room, I have 4 bars of 3G service which, in this day and age, is barely adequate connectivity. In the stadium, I'm lucky if I have 1X "data" "service."
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It's an issue of clogging the tower with data. See the article below for a quick explanation:

http://www.businessinsider.com/ap-ma...er-bowl-2016-2

It's a problem at many sporting events and concerts, but it's a problem that should be able to be addressed and handled fairly easily at a smaller venue like the Dykhouse. If our worries about attendance this weekend come true, you might not have problems using your phone at all tomorrow!

Comment

I completely agree with #1. But I also feel like #2 is more in SDSU's control than people may think. No reason they can't truck in what they call C.O.Ws (cell on wheels) to boost the 4G coverage during home games. Example:

http://cellsitesolutions.com/portfolio-view/cows/

I agree that if we all make enough noise to the department they will listen. No doubt they know this is an issue but just haven't put enough attention to it for a reason we will likely never know.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                                The connectivity issue at the stadium (and frankly in Frost Arena, where it sucks too) is of two parts, one of which is wholly under the control of SDSU:

1) the part totally in SDSU's control, is wifi access for fans. This is a pure and simple issue of funding and operating enough access points and bandwidth to accommodate fan connectivity. Frost Arena's "SDSU-Guest" wifi network hasn't worked yet this year when I've been there. It's nonexistent in the football stadium if you get outside Club 73.

2) The part not totally in SDSU's control is 4G/LTE connectivity. Mine admittedly sucks worse than most in SD because I've got Sprint. Right now, here in Brookings in my hotel room, I have 4 bars of 3G service which, in this day and age, is barely adequate connectivity. In the stadium, I'm lucky if I have 1X "data" "service."
                                Perhaps they are limiting cell service to keep Coach Eck from starting too much trouble at halftime?

Comment

Working...
                                X