Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Playoff ticket info

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
    I have season tickets for football and have had them for several years. I live several hundred miles from Brookings. I start planning which games I can attend in the spring. In many cases I have to use some of my limited paid time off to make the trips. I also work some weekends. I spend literally thousands of dollars travelling to SDSU football games in the fall. For those situations where I use paid time off to attend, I may be giving up an opportunity to visit my kids and grandchild four states away. And, I have to request those days off between four and ten weeks in advance.

I consider myself a pretty loyal fan of the Jackrabbits. I am growing very weary of all of the posts questioning my loyalty to my team. I read on a couple of other message boards that SDSU fans are the worst in the conference. After reading a lot of these posts, I can understand where they get these ideas. Non only do I understand, I am starting to agree.
    Hopefully you take the negative posts with a grain of salt. Some folks here just like to assert their "superior" team allegiance and disparage those who don't subscribe to knee-jerk reactions and diatribes as apologists who are satisfied with just making the playoffs.

Comment

I have season tickets for football and have had them for several years. I live several hundred miles from Brookings. I start planning which games I can attend in the spring. In many cases I have to use some of my limited paid time off to make the trips. I also work some weekends. I spend literally thousands of dollars travelling to SDSU football games in the fall. For those situations where I use paid time off to attend, I may be giving up an opportunity to visit my kids and grandchild four states away. And, I have to request those days off between four and ten weeks in advance.

I consider myself a pretty loyal fan of the Jackrabbits. I am growing very weary of all of the posts questioning my loyalty to my team. I read on a couple of other message boards that SDSU fans are the worst in the conference. After reading a lot of these posts, I can understand where they get these ideas. Non only do I understand, I am starting to agree.
      The frustration is definitely not directed at you. It's directed to the people that live close that choose not to go. More likely those that live in Sioux Falls or closer. For example, where are all the people that filled the stadium against NDSU or nearly filled it against Drake of all opponents.

Comment

I think we can all agree that no one on this board is the issue. As somone else mentioned, it's not the fans that live far away, or the fans who are trying to make it work with a young family that are the issue.

It's the fans in the area that don't care about the football game, they just come because it's the beef bowl, etc.

It's the students in my class I taught on campus today that when asked if they were attending the game responded with a resounding "what game?".

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
          It's the students in my class I taught on campus today that when asked if they were attending the game responded with a resounding "what game?".

Comment

Any chance they might've been unclear about what upcoming game you were referring to?

Did you provide the game time to them afterward?

Also, could you link game events/outcomes to your course and offer some extra credit if they attend the game, show ticket next week, and possibly write a brief description of their experience and how it relates to course content? Students may jump at that opportunity with finals week coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
              Any chance they might've been unclear about what upcoming game you were referring to?

Also, could you link game events/outcomes to your course and offer some extra credit if they attend the game, show ticket next week, and possibly write a brief description of their experience and how it relates to course content? Students may jump at that opportunity with finals week coming up.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Maybe it's just me, but offering academic credit -- even extra credit -- for a non-athlete to attend athletic events sounds like a spectacularly bad idea. I'd **almost** prefer giving them free beer!
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think we can all agree that no one on this board is the issue. As somone else mentioned, it's not the fans that live far away, or the fans who are trying to make it work with a young family that are the issue.

It's the fans in the area that don't care about the football game, they just come because it's the beef bowl, etc.

I think fans in general (other then NDSU fans- winning 5 straight national championships makes them want to show up) are just not into sports like they used to be.
                  SDSU only has about 100 or so students that show up for WBB games. When the band plays the school song, only about 25 or so stand up and clap. I don't know if some of them even know or care that it is the school song.
                  They hang up posters around campus letting students know about the time, place and date of the games. I have also seen them talk about the game on the local news several times this week. I know before the Hobo Day game they had somebody ride around campus on a golf cart with a microphone letting everybody know about the game. I don't know if they did that for this game or not.
                  Students use to line up for games. They would dress up or just act crazy. You can't hardly even get them to show up anymore. The students sections that they have now would not hold all of the students that showed up for games 20 years or so ago.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    Maybe it's just me, but offering academic credit -- even extra credit -- for a non-athlete to attend athletic events sounds like a spectacularly bad idea. I'd **almost** prefer giving them free beer!
                    Agreed. I won't go into any more details on my position, etc., but the extra credit thing isn't happening, for a multitude of reasons. To answer a previous question, the students were not confused by which game I was talking about. They were oblivious to the fact that we had a football game this week, and only a couple seemed interested after I explained the ticket situation and the importance of it being a playoff game.

This is why I say that our athletic marketing is phenomenally bad here. If our own students don't know that there is a game this week, let alone an important playoff game, how are we ever going to tap into the Sioux Falls market?

Comment

Agreed. I won't go into any more details on my position, etc., but the extra credit thing isn't happening, for a multitude of reasons. To answer a previous question, the students were not confused by which game I was talking about. They were oblivious to the fact that we had a football game this week, and only a couple seemed interested after I explained the ticket situation and the importance of it being a playoff game.

This is why I say that our athletic marketing is phenomenally bad here. If our own students don't know that there is a game this week, let alone an important playoff game, how are we ever going to tap into the Sioux Falls market?
                      I'm willing to bet that if you watched the KELO, KDLT or KSFY news this week, all three of them had something about the game on at least one day and maybe two days or so. That is the way I would try to get the Sioux Falls market.
                      I have also seen a few commercials about the game while watching TV shows. I have not seen a ton of commercials but I think I've seen about 5 or so over the last week.
                      I'm not saying that SDSU's marketing department is doing great but I think you should know about the game if you watch the local news.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        Did you ever receive credit for attending Fine Arts events or speakers on campus?

Like I said, it'd have to be linked to the course. Students in the social sciences could write a brief summary of crowd demographics, behavior, etc.

One could argue that such an approach could help bridge the gap between academics and athletics and possibly promote greater understanding.

Comment

It would look good on your resume if you were applying for a job at a place like North Carolina!
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            Just trying to get a better feel for the context, as in whether therewas a chance they might be asking "which game?" as in FB or BB. I now know that's apparently not the case.

If "Steve Harvey's" aghast at the extra credit, maybe he can consider my other post.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                              I'm willing to bet that if you watched the KELO, KDLT or KSFY news this week, all three of them had something about the game on at least one day and maybe two days or so. That is the way I would try to get the Sioux Falls market.
                              I have also seen a few commercials about the game while watching TV shows. I have not seen a ton of commercials but I think I've seen about 5 or so over the last week.
                              I'm not saying that SDSU's marketing department is doing great but I think you should know about the game if you watch the local news.
                              That's a fair point. I'm still not sure how effective that is or isn't, but this may be a "lead a horse to water but can't make them drink" type situation. I don't know how you change that.

As for students, there is something glaringly wrong when they have no idea we have a top 5 team hosting a second round game this week. Something is amiss there.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                                If we are trying to recruit the younger generation of Jackrabbit fans, television commercials and local news isn't the way to go about it. The amount of people that are dropping cable or who utilize their DVR to skip commercial breaks is growing every year. Social media is the best way to interact with the under 40 crowd now it seems. Heck, I am 41 and I haven't watched local news in probably 8 years. But, I do click on the links I get here and on my Twitter/Facebook page. It is up to us to retweet and share to get the word out as well
                                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X