Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Playoff ticket info

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    This is a point that many of us, myself included, who bemoan low turnouts sometime forget. Handing out tickets is great for the optics of the game, but often time those fans don't quite understand how to cheer. All it takes is watching the NDSU game when folks would stand up and cheer on third/fourth down when WE had the ball.

I would be "ok" with 9k...happy with 10k...and ecstatic with anything over 12k

I could care less about the optics, but what it does do is get casual fans to realize how fun the game day experience is and might get them to make an effort to come and buy a ticket next time.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      I could care less about the optics, but what it does do is get casual fans to realize how fun the game day experience is and might get them to make an effort to come and buy a ticket next time.
      Serious question here.....Are there any casual fans anymore? Such as a group of people that have no particular ties to either team just want to watch a fb game. IMO that would be a very small group.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        That is what the regular season is for...recruiting those fans and turning them into the loud, game-changing playoff fans.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
          Serious question here.....Are there any casual fans anymore? Such as a group of people that have no particular ties to either team just want to watch a fb game. IMO that would be a very small group.
          In the city of Brookings? Probably not many. And I think the idea of a "casual fan" driving from SF or Watertown to Brookings is a little unrealistic. However, I think that the availability of the games on television may get a few of those eyeballs. If I am unable to attend a SDSU event because of work, I always have them on the WatchESPN app...there are a ton of people out there that had no idea they could watch almost every FB game without having Midco.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
            When I say casual fan, I am talking about someone who is a "fan" of SDSU, as in they will root for SDSU when given an opportunity, but they won't necessarily make it a point to attend games. This would be a very large group in Eastern SD, especially Sioux Falls, where a large number of SDSU grads reside.

Comment

Casual fans at SDSU, IMO, are those fans who show up because it's the beef bowl, not because it's jackrabbit football. They will root for SDSU, and probably won't go to any other college's games, but that's about it. They like to hear that SDSU is doing well, but they aren't going to blink an eye if we were to go 3-8 next season. They'll be here for the Beef Bowl and/or hobo day, and that's it.

I know many of these people. And unfortunately, most of them are alumni.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                Casual fans at SDSU, IMO, are those fans who show up because it's the beef bowl, not because it's jackrabbit football. They will root for SDSU, and probably won't go to any other college's games, but that's about it. They like to hear that SDSU is doing well, but they aren't going to blink an eye if we were to go 3-8 next season. They'll be here for the Beef Bowl and/or hobo day, and that's it.

They are also the same people that only care about the result of the NDSU/USD games. Like you said, we could go 3-8, but if we beat NDSU/USD they are happy. You can pick these people out within 30 seconds of having a SDSU related sports conversation because they will mispronounce names of players, if they even know the players names, and they will not have a clue of the big picture conference races or national rankings.

Comment

IMO, they need to make it easier to post on social media. Get posts out there for the people not there to see what they are missing. I can't seem to get anything out during the game (texts, posts, and whatnot). I have verizon.

I know this has been hit on earlier this year, but I feel it is important to today's casual observer.

Comment

They are also at the beef bowl because of a free ticket and free meal. I have many friends that take that game in. I have tried to get them to other games with no luck. They put the casual in casual fan!

Comment

Maybe part of this conversation is really about lack of advertising and marketing from the university/athletics? I know we all know what's going on, but we're the minority when it comes to our fanbase.

I don't know how effective it is, and I'd hate to emulate anything USD does, but I do see a hell of a lot more advertising for their athletics department all along I 29 than I do for SDSU.

I'm not insinuating that static billboards are the answer, but that may be an example of a marketing gap for this type of thing. I agree with other posters that have said that they've never heard an ad for a game on the radio/tv before.

How much does more marketing help with apathy? I'm not sure. There's no way that less advertising is going to help though.
                      Agreed. As I've pointed out before, there is lots of competition for my Saturday afternoons, and everyone else's.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                        In all honesty JD, would you expect them to say anything different? That would seem counterproductive to selling tickets to any event.

I don't know what attendance will be, but I do know that those who are there will make a difference and will be heard. No doubt about that.
                        The person I talked to didn't say anything that would indicate he was going beyond facts. It was basically some responses to my questions which indicated they were busy after the long weekend returning calls and filling tickets requests.

I agree that those who show up tend to be great fans who will be heard.

I think we are making progress growing the fan base, turning the curious into casual fans and the casual fans to consistent fans. Winning is very critical to the whole experience

Comment

Per SDSU Tweet:

JACKRABBIT STUDENTS! Be in Frost Thursday night to cheer us on vs. Northern Iowa and get a FREE ticket to do the same for @GoJacksFB on Saturday! #GoJacks #EarsUp ��

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                            Per SDSU Tweet:

JACKRABBIT STUDENTS! Be in Frost Thursday night to cheer us on vs. Northern Iowa and get a FREE ticket to do the same for @GoJacksFB on Saturday! #GoJacks #EarsUp 🐰
                            Nice, I like this.

Comment

I can't believe I'm about to do this, but I've got 2 tickets available for this saturday's playoff game vs UNI...my father has a funeral that come about unexpectedly, and the "a happy wife, is a happy life" rule applies for me. She really wants to go to my work christmas party that evening.

So, I have two available for $27/ea. PM if you're interested.
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                                Per SDSU Tweet:

JACKRABBIT STUDENTS! Be in Frost Thursday night to cheer us on vs. Northern Iowa and get a FREE ticket to do the same for @GoJacksFB on Saturday! #GoJacks #EarsUp ��

First 100 students

Comment

Working...
                                X