Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: @ Kansas Jayhawks

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
    It's Kansas - at home. Did you see/hear that insane crowd at the tipoff? This is like playing Ohio State in football. I'd forgive about anything from a bunch of mid-major 20 year old kids that come in and look overwhelmed. Take your paycheck, learn a few lessons and move on to the rest of the schedule.
    I was there. The insane crowd started way before tipoff and didnt end until the end

Comment

Originally posted by tbjack View Post
      Sorry if a negative post on a message board about a 34 point loss that was far worse than the score offended anyone. It’s Allen Fieldhouse, KU, top 5 I get it. Just was really disappointed with the style of play.

We rebounded really well. Even some of the positives like Kings and Howells points are overall negatives to me as they were one on one head down type drives and not in the flow of the offense. Don’t think that’s how we win long term.

Hopefully a learning experience that we won’t be successful playing that style. On to a good Wyoming team with a chance to make a real splash at this tourney!!
      I for one wasn't offended and I don't think Nidaros was either. I was thankful for your honest assessment and was also curious if there were any positives. Thanks for your input/opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
        I for one wasn't offended and I don't think Nidaros was either. I was thankful for your honest assessment and was also curious if there were any positives. Thanks for your input/opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I didn't see many positives in the first half. The team wasn't ready for the atmosphere and got trucked from the tip. They started to play a little better in the second half.

Nobody got hurt - that's the main positive I took from the game.
        The fact that it wasn't on national tv was also a positive.

Now, if the team uses the poor performance to motivate themselves for the rest of the non-conference then we can reevaluate.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

In 1984, NCAA Division II South Dakota State University went into Allen Fieldhouse and had KU on the ropes until the last 5-6 minutes of the game. KU had two future NBA players, all world Danny Manning at forward and Greg Dreiling at center. Legendary Larry Brown was the Jayhawk coach. KU ended the year with a 26-8 record. Pretty impressive.

Well, we lost by 13 points.

Fast forward thirty three years later and I read that the SDSU players had a case of "the nerves". Mind you, some of the same players who made it to the Big Dance this past March. Maybe if we have scared boys we shouldn't schedule the likes of KU.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
            In 1984, NCAA Division II South Dakota State University went into Allen Fieldhouse and had KU on the ropes until the last 5-6 minutes of the game. KU had two future NBA players, all world Danny Manning at forward and Greg Dreiling at center. Legendary Larry Brown was the Jayhawk coach. KU ended the year with a 26-8 record. Pretty impressive.

Fast forward thirty three years later and I read that the SDSU players had a case of "the nerves". Mind you, some of the same players who made it to the Big Dance this past March. Maybe if we have scared boys we shouldn't schedule the likes of KU.
            1984 also was the year they introduced Tetris and the Mac computer. Both have the same amount to do with the game last night at the game that was referenced

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              1984 also was the year they introduced Tetris and the Mac computer. Both have the same amount to do with the game last night at the game that was referenced
              I also have a hard time seeing how what some guys in short shorts and Kurt Rambis goggles did in a dusty old exhibition game is reason to get all worked up about our team getting steamrolled by the #4 current day Jayhawks. If that's your thing, go ahead and start the "Time for TJ to move on?" thread similar to the forum panic attack we saw last year at this time.

Comment

Maybe his point was is that those guys in the dusty old shorts and Kurt Rambis glasses played as a team and not individuals? Have to remember that was DII talent that put a scare into a top team at Phog Allen. They did it by running an offense, no hero ball and solid defensive rotations.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that coach should be gone, probably a tad over reactive with that hyperbole. We were never going to win that game last night, but we didn't play well and have to do better. I'm sure coach wasn't happy and shared his feelings with the team.

Comment

Originally posted by tbjack View Post
                  Sorry if a negative post on a message board about a 34 point loss that was far worse than the score offended anyone. It’s Allen Fieldhouse, KU, top 5 I get it. Just was really disappointed with the style of play.

We rebounded really well. Even some of the positives like Kings and Howells points are overall negatives to me as they were one on one head down type drives and not in the flow of the offense. Don’t think that’s how we win long term.

Hopefully a learning experience that we won’t be successful playing that style. On to a good Wyoming team with a chance to make a real splash at this tourney!!
                  No doubt a learning experience, and in terms of skill level we are not P5 yet by any means. We got a ways to go. That's the big lesson. We still need better recruiting and that really takes time. None-the-less, Otz has a great bunch of athletes and we will still have a great season.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                    Maybe his point was is that those guys in the dusty old shorts and Kurt Rambis glasses played as a team and not individuals? Have to remember that was DII talent that put a scare into a top team at Phog Allen. They did it by running an offense, no hero ball and solid defensive rotations.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that coach should be gone, probably a tad over reactive with that hyperbole. We were never going to win that game last night, but we didn't play well and have to do better. I'm sure coach wasn't happy and shared his feelings with the team.

Or it could be that the game was different back then and that allowed games to be closer? Or maybe Kansas didn't really care about playing a DII school? Maybe the humidity was too high and the ball didn't bounce right? I think that we have seen, on our own court, a more talented team struggle for a bit against lesser competition. To say that they were a better "team" that the one we have now is a disservice and insult to the current team.

Comment

Or it could be that the game was different back then and that allowed games to be closer? Or maybe Kansas didn't really care about playing a DII school? Maybe the humidity was too high and the ball didn't bounce right? I think that we have seen, on our own court, a more talented team struggle for a bit against lesser competition. To say that they were a better "team" that the one we have now is a disservice and insult to the current team.
                      I keep reading my post trying to see where I said the 84 team was the better team....still not seeing it. Again, more overreaction. If you compare the two games against Kansas, the 84 team played the best as a team. The stats show it and the eye test showed it also. Playing the best as a team and being the better team are two completely separate things.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                        I keep reading my post trying to see where I said the 84 team was the better team....still not seeing it. Again, more overreaction. If you compare the two games against Kansas, the 84 team played the best as a team. The stats show it and the eye test showed it also. Playing the best as a team and being the better team are two completely separate things.
                        I guess it's had for me to say they 84 team passed the eye test that they played better as a team, so I'll have to take your word for it.

But as for things I do know, this team lost to one of the best teams. None of the guys had a good game. In the big picture the we still have to win the conference to make the dance. Use this curb stomping to get better and it will be forgotten.

Comment

Here is an article from last February addressing undefeated seasons up to and after NCAA tourney. Dream on!

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-...defeated-teams
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post

Kansas won it all in 1988. Manning was a senior and they started in the Lincoln regional. Kansas finished the year at 24-11. It is easier to remember since I was able to watch the Lincoln games that were held on Friday and Sunday. Murray State Racers gave the Jayhawks all they wanted with a small quick guard play. Manning brought the ball up court most of that day since the Racer guard was quick. Lincoln was definitely a home crowd for Kansas. None of the higher seeds made it through Lincoln. There were 8 teams and 4 games the first day. Home court or not, nerves or not......Kansas just has good ball players all the time.
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I guess it's had for me to say they 84 team passed the eye test that they played better as a team, so I'll have to take your word for it.

But as for things I do know, this team lost to one of the best teams. None of the guys had a good game. In the big picture the we still have to win the conference to make the dance. Use this curb stomping to get better and it will be forgotten.
                              1984 was my first year of college. That team played for the National Championship, maybe I remember them a tad too fondly....lol. I think this team can be pretty good in their own right, just got some things to clean up and they will be ok. Coaching staff showed they could adjust last year and the team has some good leaders, they will be fine. I will chalk it up to a rough night.

Comment

It was an awful performance by the Jackrabbits.

It will only make them better, if the learn from it, and grow, and use it to improve.

I agree with the comments that we had some people "trying to do too much" particularly on defense... several occasions of "over-help" that just straight up led to easy buckets.

Lots and lots and lots of season to go. Let's hope they play better against Wyoming. Still alot of new faces on this team yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X