GDT: Alabama State Hornets @ SDSU Jackrabbits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Alabama State Hornets @ SDSU Jackrabbits

Asu is not good. Thought we played well and the score was much closer then the game really was. Howell seems like the odd man out in the rotation so for this year. The team looked sharp today against a bad team.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Thought the team looked really sharp tonight. Defensive rotations were much crisper than on Sunday.

Offense looked a bit better too. Team just looked more "locked in".

Jenkins Jr. is going to be a star. The reason I say this, and Zimmer mentioned it in his write up, he's just calm and in control. He plays like a seasoned player with 2 years starting experience. And he doesn't get discouraged if he misses.

All that said... Friday night could be a tough one. (probably will be a tough one).

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
        Thought the team looked really sharp tonight. Defensive rotations were much crisper than on Sunday.

Offense looked a bit better too. Team just looked more "locked in".

Jenkins Jr. is going to be a star. The reason I say this, and Zimmer mentioned it in his write up, he's just calm and in control. He plays like a seasoned player with 2 years starting experience. And he doesn't get discouraged if he misses.

All that said... Friday night could be a tough one. (probably will be a tough one).
        I was just talking about this with some fellow Jackrabbits. Not only are the players more locked in, but I think that the coaching staff seems to have it figured out. What we say at the beginning of last year was a new coach trying to figure out how to play his style with someone else's players. This year TJ seems much more comfortable and is bringing in the guys that fit his system.

After watching the Kentucky/Kansas game last night, I am just hoping our guys can keep the game close. I think that our starters can hold their own, but just like football it is the 2nd and 3rd team that kill us. The depth at teams like the Kansas, Kentucky, and Dukes of the world is absurd.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          I was just talking about this with some fellow Jackrabbits. Not only are the players more locked in, but I think that the coaching staff seems to have it figured out. What we say at the beginning of last year was a new coach trying to figure out how to play his style with someone else's players. This year TJ seems much more comfortable and is bringing in the guys that fit his system.

After watching the Kentucky/Kansas game last night, I am just hoping our guys can keep the game close. I think that our starters can hold their own, but just like football it is the 2nd and 3rd team that kill us. The depth at teams like the Kansas, Kentucky, and Dukes of the world is absurd.
          Kansas has no depth. They are playing 7 guys and one of those shouldn't even be seeing time.

Depth won't be a problem. Handling the atmosphere is another matter.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

The depth on this team looks promising. Coach Otz goes pretty deep into the bench and I don't get the sense there's much of a drop off. And there defense looked sharp. King Key and Jenkins all played tough defense on the perimeter tonight.

Comment

My first chance to see the men play last night. You have to love what is going on. As others mentioned, TJ looks very comforatable as does the rest of the staff and team. David Jenkins through three games has shown as much as any newcomer I can remember. The depth of the team is going to be a huge asset. Wow, the athleticism of the team went through the roof. Guys like Jenkins, Key, and Polk-Hilliard will add a lot. Severyn looked really into it and brought some serious energy. Howell may have a tough time finding minutes.

If you can't bring it on both ends of the floor you will occupy the far end of the bench as it should be.

Alabama State wasn't very good so need a bigger sample. Lots of challenges in the near future. Will be fun to see where it shakes out. It will take a helluva an effort for an opponent to win in Frost!

SUPERBUNNY

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
                Kansas has no depth. They are playing 7 guys and one of those shouldn't even be seeing time.

Depth won't be a problem. Handling the atmosphere is another matter.
                While I understand what you are saying, I find it hard to believe that their program's 6th, 7th, and 8th guy aren't better than ours. Kansas having no depth and a mid-major having no depth are two toally different things. Just look at SDSU last year and our lack of a solid second team.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
                  The depth on this team looks promising. Coach Otz goes pretty deep into the bench and I don't get the sense there's much of a drop off. And there defense looked sharp. King Key and Jenkins all played tough defense on the perimeter tonight.
                  Really glad you mentioned Key's defense. King we know is a very good defender.

Key really does an outstanding job on the ball. He's a really good defender.

Comment

Howell is an interesting guy for me. I remember how terrible he looked early last season and then I'm not sure we win the SLT without him. He seems to play well in big games and can almost look disinterested during others. The kid has no fear and when the chips are down its nice to have a player like him to turn to. I guess time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                      Howell is an interesting guy for me. I remember how terrible he looked early last season and then I'm not sure we win the SLT without him. He seems to play well in big games and can almost look disinterested during others. The kid has no fear and when the chips are down its nice to have a player like him to turn to. I guess time will tell.
                      Speaking of Chris Howell, he had 2 assists last night. That is a nice trend to see early. He only took one field goal shot plus the one he was fouled. He was 0-4 against UC Irvine and 2-7 against Mary. He may be realizing that he does not need to be the designated shooter just because he has the ball. He seemed more patient and less forcing the action. Hopefully this is a trend for him as he can bring a batch of energy.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                        Fyi, parking sucks tonight. There's an event going on at the PAC.
                        That's dumb you can't park in the pac lot when both have an event going on. Why would it matter. It's parking for sdsu and that's why we are there regardless of the event. What lots are available for games when the pac lot isn't for basketball? Is the lot north of frost reserved or priority parking?
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                          Good point. We'll need him come tournament time, no doubt. He needs to get himself in better playing shape though. He is a tad heavier than last year and certainly doesn't possess the same quick first step and hops as he displayed last season. Hopefully that returns.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
                          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                            Good point. We'll need him come tournament time, no doubt. He needs to get himself in better playing shape though. He is a tad heavier than last year and certainly doesn't possess the same quick first step and hops as he displayed last season. Hopefully that returns.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
                            How dare you call a player out of shape...

I completely agree.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                              Speaking of Chris Howell, he had 2 assists last night. That is a nice trend to see early. He only took one field goal shot plus the one he was fouled. He was 0-4 against UC Irvine and 2-7 against Mary. He may be realizing that he does not need to be the designated shooter just because he has the ball. He seemed more patient and less forcing the action. Hopefully this is a trend for him as he can bring a batch of energy.
                              The best part of Howell's offensive game came out late last season when it was discovered that he could very effectively post up other teams 2/3's. Especially with the paint open when Daum and Telly spend quite a bit of time on the perimeter. Right now the coaching staff is still trying to figure out how to fit the new players into the offense. As the season wears on, I would expect to see Chris more in that role.

Comment

Howell is battle tested. He was a huge part of last year's tournament win. I'd want him engaged and ready to go when things heat up this winter.

Comment

Working...
                                X