Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 regular season attendance

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    ...If people chucking beer can during Hobo Day 2014 had been doing so away from families and vehicles, would anyone on here have noticed?...
    Kudos to Mr. Tibbs for getting philosophical on us! Compare: "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" [From Wikipedia: the statement is a philosophical thought experiment that raises questions regarding observation and perception.]
    Last edited by JackJD; 11-15-2017, 10:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JacKsBack View Post
      Hello... um, is this thing on?
      Firstly, I want to state that I enjoy reading these boards and have done so for a long time. I've never felt the need to jump into a conversation as you all do an excellent job of arguing multiple points on both sides of the topics. However, this thread has piqued my interest.

On the subject of student attendance since changes in tailgating, isn't student attendance up since the hay days of tailgating mobs in the backyard? I think I remember UPD and Athletics twittering about student attendance increasing 20% a year or so ago? (someone more tech savvy could probably find it)

On the subject of the tailgating experience, most of the complaints have seemed to come from folks "up north." In the games I've been to, it's seemed that more and more tailgaters are pushing to the east, west, and south which would put less people overall in the north making it less "hopping." The atmosphere has still been a blast with plenty of folks willing to share drinks, food, and stories as well as yard games. Heck, I even ran into the Wieneke family (who are every bit as gracious and fun loving as Jake seems to be). The major differences seem to be that we have smaller rigs/setups than our cohorts up north and they're still pushed into one area for tailgating. As we continue to grow, it seems we, as fans, are evolving with it.

On the subject of student tailgating, there's always been a spot marked on the map for students to tailgate in. Wasn't it a couple of years ago that they had a spot next the the backyard? When they started the band march through tailgating? I remember there being bands and food but few students once the food ran out. Can't say I blame them. It was always fun meeting the older generations while socializing before games.

On the subject of wristbands, USeD was using them during their D-Days game - not sure if they've used them for other games. Hopefully some of you can update us on this this weekend! Might it be a Regents issue? Or is SDSU once again leading the way for our peer institutions in today's overly-sensitive law riddled environment?

I usually don't have a penny so I just hang around but on this issue I had a nickel so I threw my money down. I hope some of you older posters get the reference

To the student attendance being up, I believe that stat was for 2015, not 2016. The tailgating policies were changed preceding the 2016 season. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on the date and/or UPD tweet. I'm not really sure if student attendance at games is vastly different than it was in 2014, 2012, etc. 20% on the season at an average of six games isn't a whole lot. Assuming you average 3000 students per game (and we don't), that's 18000 over the course of the season. A 20% increase from that total applied back to an in game average is an increase of about 600 students per game. Looking at the past couple of seasons, and the student attendance late in the year, 600 more students aren't piling in each game. The bulk of that increase is coming from the first two or three home games. I'm not sure how that relates to this overall discussion, but if the average is up, we are still ending up with games like last Saturday where 500 showed up. And avoiding that situation is part of the point to this whole thread.

To the point about being "up north", I tailgate in the Library lot. Most games (the last two haven't been as bad), UPD goes tailgate by tailgate to check IDs/wristbands/etc. They are pleasant to be around (usually), but it is a theme across the whole area.

USD using wristbands is a copy of what we started. And the admin down there received a ton of crap about it and backed off. Go read the Voplante articles about it and the twitter for their student fan club, and the response was more of a middle ground it seems after they implemented it the first time. I do know that we have the most heavy handed Board of Regents in the country it seems, and it would not shock me if a lot of this is coming down from them. That, I have no idea about.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
        Just don't wristband. Have a UPD presence but don't search out for problems. Example: the AGR spot is near mine. It appears that both actives and alumni use that spot (at least they have in the past). They were there for 1 game this year. They were playing music, sitting/standing around and talking, with some playing beer darts. Nothing crazy. It looked like most students had wrist bands but UPD still went through their spot and asked people for IDs. There is no need for that. After that, the group didn't come back.
        This is why I can’t stand UPD. They think it’s their job to seek out problems.

They physically went up into the suites at the football game and there were a few people drinking hard alcohol. They caused a scene and made them get rid of it. They’re out of control and I’ve heard of so many issues in the past that I don’t like tailgating anymore.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          I agree that there is a line to be walked. To me it isn't even really about being priced out. It has more to do with the perception of getting nickel and dimed for everything. I have said that season ticket holders should receive GoJacks premium, for their season, at no charge so they can follow the teams they already support. Why aren't there more "giveaways" during the pre-game or game? It is amazing how someone that shells out a couple hundred dollars for tickets gets super excited about a 10 dollar shirt.
          I'm wholeheartedly in favor of your suggested GoJacks promo. I could see why they might not want to give folks the entire sports suite for free, so maybe they could credit season ticket holders the equivalent number of games in one alternate sport of their choice, so football season ticket holders could watch 10-12 basketball games on gojacks, for instance. This could have an ancillary benefit of getting prospective ticket purchasers more familiar with the teams and more likely to buy tickets to see them live.

I'm guilty of getting excited about pre-game swag. My beef there is that the propensity seems to be that they're only distributing it on the west side, so my strategy is to stroll by the student entrance on the way to meet my parents on the east side and see if it looks like gate personnel are giving anything away. Then, if they are, we just go through the west side gates (or even head over there after entering the east side entrance.

Comment

Originally posted by Danger41 View Post
            You also have to consider the size of the population in the immediate area. To juxtapose with Fargo, they have about 120,000 people that live there to fill a 19,000 seat stadium. Brookings has just under 24,000 to fill a 19,400 seat stadium. Percentage wise, 15.8% of Fargo can fill the stadium while it would take nearly 81% of Brookings to be at the game to fill it. That's about 6.5x required turnout to fill the stadium. The fact that the average attendance equates to over 50% of the population is pretty incredible.

Like any good statistical analysis, you can massage the numbers to support whatever argument you are trying to make. We don't have the history of success that NDSU has. Also, it's a cold part of the country and we elected to have the games outside. I love that but a lot of people are turned off by that (can you blame them)?

The administration is committing to making football a big draw and the ground work has been laid. The team has started doing it's part and they'll continue to have more success. With time, I wouldn't be surprised to see that average get up over 15,000 and eventually having regular sellouts. Montana and Montana State are good comparisons in that regard (even though their populations are 2.5x and 1.7x the size of Brookings, respectively).
            I too wish we were seeing consistently larger crowds in our new stadium. But as others have said, it takes time (and winning). People forget that the Bison have only recently begun selling out football games. Since I live in ND and am completely outnumbered by Bison fans, (I work semi-regularly in our Fargo facility, which is across the street from the FargoDome ), I thought I'd do a deeper dive into NDSU vs SDSU football attendance.

I chose to look at a 5 year span for both schools during their stadium transition period. The last 3 years in the old stadium and the first 2 years in the new. What I found were strikingly similar numbers. Granted, it's not a perfect comparison - the stadiums opened 23 years apart (1993 vs 2016), NDSU was still D2 at the time (but were were coming off D2 playoff appearances in '90,'91 & '92), and Domed vs Open Air stadiums (where football is meant to be played, IMHO).

NDSU total attendance figures 1990 - 1994: 368,976; a 5 year avg of 73,795. That figure includes 5 home playoff games outside at Dacotah Field in late November - 33,511 total, 7102 avg.

SDSU total attendance figures 2013 - 2017: 386,287; a 5 year avg of 77,527. We have 1 home playoff game included in those figures, 12/3/16 Villanova - 6154. (Cold, miserable day - I was there).

NDSU didn't max out the Dome until year 2, the Nickel Trophy game vs UND (18,760). In our 2nd yr, we nearly had a full house vs NDSU on 11/4 (18,130). Pretty sure SDSU counts butts in seats, not tickets sold. I'm unsure how NDSU takes attendance.

Considering Fargo population>>Brookings, SDSU historically a basketball school, these are pretty even numbers. We have nothing to complain about and lots more to look forward to .

Last edited by WahpJack; 11-17-2017, 02:59 PM. Reason: Re-sized images
            If you hold a cat by the tail you learn things you cannot learn any other way. - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X