Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017 regular season attendance

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    For the six regular-season home games, total attendance (that's total ticket holders entering the stadium -- actual tickets sales is greater) was 82,850. The average attendance was 13,808.

Per game attendance as determined on the box score for each home game:

8.31.17 Duquesne 12,218
    9.16.17 Drake, 15,806
    10.7.17 Southern Illinois 12,891
    10.14.17 UNI 14,347
    11.4.17 NDSU 18,130
    11.11.17 Illinois State 9,458
    Getting nearly 9500 for a November game is not bad showing.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      Getting nearly 9500 for a November game is not bad showing.
      When that number is 4000 below the season average it could be said that it was a poor showing. Especially considering it was a beautiful day and potentially the final home game for two of the all time great players in the program.

I don't think that anyone is saying the fan base isn't growing. What baffles me is the fact that two second tier teams drew 3000 & 6000 more fans than a game that had serious playoff implications. Maybe some of the fans chose to attend the basketball games on Friday rather than the football game since some will say SDSU is still a basketball school. Maybe some had to go to the football finals over the game on Saturday. But the turnout was not what it should have been...

edit: added the word potentially
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
        When that number is 4000 below the season average it could be said that it was a poor showing. Especially considering it was a beautiful day and potentially the final home game for two of the all time great players in the program.

I don't think that anyone is saying the fan base isn't growing. What baffles me is the fact that two second tier teams drew 3000 & 6000 more fans than a game that had serious playoff implications. Maybe some of the fans chose to attend the basketball games on Friday rather than the football game since some will say SDSU is still a basketball school. Maybe some had to go to the football finals over the game on Saturday. But the turnout was not what it should have been...

Watched on a IPhone huh? You were not part of the disappointing turn out? How precious!

Comment

Unfortunately, I think 80% of our fan base has no idea that the ISU game had major implications as compared to the Drake/Duquesne game. The national awareness of FCS football among our fan base and within the state leaves more than a lot to be desired. Even Matt Zimmer (who I like by the way), our own beat writer, doesn't know a thing about the FCS national scene. Especially as it compares to the media in Fargo. I've seen him make statements about teams and conferences, and he clearly doesn't pay much attention to the landscape, outside of the MVFC. I'm not saying that as a shot to Zimmer, but I am using that as a snapshot as to the likelihood that are fan turnout is influenced by the playoff pedigree of the opponent. FCS football just doesn't register in the state to your casual fan. And we have a LOT of casual fans that make up those extra 3k -6k you're talking about.

Comment

Watched on a IPhone huh? You were not part of the disappointing turn out? How precious!
            What?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
              What?
              your buddy said he was going to be watching the game from a IPhone. I would be hesitant to question 4000 other non-attendees while staying away from the game myself. I did not attend either and am I complaining about the attendence? T
              Last edited by Nidaros; 11-12-2017, 08:25 PM.

Comment

It was a three day week end which probably reduced the student turnout by 1-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                  It was a three day week end which probably reduced the student turnout by 1-2000.
                  No doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
                    It was also a 3 day weekend in Fargo, and I'm pretty sure they had most of their full alotment in the stands. And this has been a theme late in the season for years now. ISU at home in 2015 was a pretty November Day against the number 2 team in the country, while we were still in contention for a seed.

Student turnout was about the same that day as it was this Saturday. A three day weekend has an effect, but I think it has more to do with the casual apathy a lot of them have.

Comment

To quote Al Davis and the Raiders, "Just win, baby." The rest will take care of itself.
                      Last edited by Jacked_Up; 11-12-2017, 11:34 PM.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

I made sure thst there were butts in my seats. That's a lot more than many did in Saturday.

Comment

I made sure thst there were butts in my seats. That's a lot more than many did in Saturday.
                          So did I, but I have only one seat. So there is merit in your comments about the off attendance. I still think 9500 in November is a very good number. Most of the season ticket holders do not get a refund for missing a game so from a financial view, SDSU should be okay.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                            To quote Al David and the Raiders, "Just win, baby." The rest will take care of itself.
                            I think the uptick in overall attendance/season ticket holders shows this to be true. Perhaps now it is just changing the mentality of the casual season ticket holder.

Comment

This team and seniors deserved a much better crowd than we saw on a beautiful day and against a really tough opponent.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                                This team and seniors deserved a much better crowd than we saw on a beautiful day and against a really tough opponent.
                                This is true.
                                This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                                X