Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: ISU Crimson Fowl

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
    Calls had me scratching my head at times too. Just curious, what are your thoughts on the play to Goedert in Jacks' endzone where he initially was trying to pass it?
    As Cappin said, it was an asinine playcall...the head scratcher for me, at one point we had Mikey in there on a 3rd and 2 and EE calls a rollout swing pass, incomplete. Then on 4th and 2 they trot Isaac out to run the guard/tackle gap. It's crazy, I'm not sure...at times it seems he's out thinking himself in a chess match. I'll agree with WSR that Redbird D is very good and they were fighting for their playoff lives yesterday.

Our D seemed to revert back to arm tackling and hitting high...the result, broken tackles and several of our guys getting trucked. That was an incredibly physical football game. I'm sure the change at QB threw them for a loop at first as well. I think even at the end they were still adjusting. Amazed that Spack chose to throw it in OT...someone commented that Eidsness must have been calling their plays.

Another game of very untimely and useless penalties that flipped the field, offensively stalled drives or defensively extended them. There were also a few non calls that would have benefited us greatly.

All in all a win is a win but the A++ game needs to take the field next week. I believe with a solid win we stand a very good chance of getting the #4 seed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
      Just to make a small point...we had less than 300 students at the game (3 day weekend). Yes, I'm disappointed in the attendance too, but we always have a poorer crowd when it is hunting season, farmers still trying to get their crops in, cold (not for me, but a number of fans with season tickets didn't show up, so make up your own excuse for them). We are going to have a better total year's attendance than any in the past. Could we have gotten a better crowd with cheaper tickets? Maybe. Not sure how the income for the university would have compared (cheaper tickets, than a number bought at a higher price), but it could have made for a larger crowd. FWIW, looking back, we had 6,154 at the late Villanova playoff game last year, and in 2015, 9,081 at November game against Missouri State.

Will there be outrage by USeD's fan-base next week when they have less then 10K?(they'll claim more) Think about that for a bit we're upset we have what would be a sell-out down south. but I agree we have a playoff caliber team and that's the best we can do? Cancel the TV contract.(It takes away from the game anyway and I pay to watch football, not a guy looking at his watch)

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        My thoughts on that play in a word... Asinine.

I wish Eidsness would be willing to throw the ball down field more often. Take away most of the screens and all of the swing passes and throw it down field to our stable of good receivers. Yes, ISU deserves a lot of credit, but I think if you substitute some of those swing/screen passes for some down field shots at JW or DG, our success rate would have went up. Look at how they were moving the ball before the holding penalty on the drive before OT. Just seems like the play calling holds this offense back at times.
        Good points. They did take shots early -- thinking of a couple targets to Wieneke (one a simple overthrow deep in Redbirds territory and another an intermediate throw that looked like the defender disrupted route or it was a simple miscommunication). Also suspect their DL and LBs tipping passes (and getting INT) had Jacks leery of passing more often.

What's most disconcerting is I recall thinking "this is some great playcalling on offense" during NDSU game, so I think that potential is definitely there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
          Just to make a small point...we had less than 300 students at the game (3 day weekend). Yes, I'm disappointed in the attendance too, but we always have a poorer crowd when it is hunting season, farmers still trying to get their crops in, cold (not for me, but a number of fans with season tickets didn't show up, so make up your own excuse for them). We are going to have a better total year's attendance than any in the past. Could we have gotten a better crowd with cheaper tickets? Maybe. Not sure how the income for the university would have compared (cheaper tickets, than a number bought at a higher price), but it could have made for a larger crowd. FWIW, looking back, we had 6,154 at the late Villanova playoff game last year, and in 2015, 9,081 at November game against Missouri State.
          I don't see them reducing ticket prices. You'd think they would've done so after attendance at last season's playoff game, as prices for those tickets are dependent upon regular season rates.

Maybe Jacks could have a Wildlife & Fisheries sponsored "hunter and conservation appreciation" promo where folks either get a reduced-price ticket or concession coupon for showing their hunting license.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
            As Cappin said, it was an asinine playcall...the head scratcher for me, at one point we had Mikey in there on a 3rd and 2 and EE calls a rollout swing pass, incomplete. Then on 4th and 2 they trot Isaac out to run the guard/tackle gap. It's crazy, I'm not sure...at times it seems he's out thinking himself in a chess match. I'll agree with WSR that Redbird D is very good and they were fighting for their playoff lives yesterday.

Our D seemed to revert back to arm tackling and hitting high...the result, broken tackles and several of our guys getting trucked. That was an incredibly physical football game. I'm sure the change at QB threw them for a loop at first as well. I think even at the end they were still adjusting. Amazed that Spack chose to throw it in OT...someone commented that Eidsness must have been calling their plays.

Another game of very untimely and useless penalties that flipped the field, offensively stalled drives or defensively extended them. There were also a few non calls that would have benefited us greatly.

All in all a win is a win but the A++ game needs to take the field next week. I believe with a solid win we stand a very good chance of getting the #4 seed.
            Don't want to focus too much on officiating, but there were some pretty blatant holds that weren't called on Redbirds on edge runs, and I saw Soulek take a wicked hand-to-face that was never called. Nevertheless, tackling left something to be desired.

Comment

Here are my thoughts on the game. ISU is a very good FB team massive OL and TE that at times blew our DL off the ball. Very talented defense and that allowed them to blitz all afternoon. Other than there run game their offense didn’t impress me.
              TC is a total difference maker. OL was under siege all game. I think our offensive play calling needs an intervention way to many Cute plays. I wish we ran more vertical routes They were there just the throws a little off. Penalty’s killed some key drives. I thought our defense played well, still some tackling issues in the backend when in the box. DL got some pressure. My question was where was the play calling from last week I hardly recall a blitz. Defense stepped up and won us to that one against a good valley opponent. And what a clutch kick by chase.

Overall real happy where the team is at this time of year. I think the biZon will have there hand full next week.

Anyone know why they’re starting quarterback was out?
              Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Deer season was the reason I wasn't there. I love SDSU sports but not enough to skip the one weekend I could take my son deer hunting. I did listen to the game on one earbud from within a makeshift blind on a West River hilltop though. Matter of fact, I'm sitting out on the frozen ground waiting for a buck with him right now. Why does so much fun stuff have to be crammed into the fall!?!?

Though it wasn't pretty, I'm thrilled with a high-pressure win over a team that probably has too-10 talent (at least defensively). Another 8 win season is guaranteed and we still have a chance to go to new heights.

To top it off, there are two SDSU basketball games later today. I'm hoping to be home in time to watch a little. Did I mention that there's too much fun stuff going on in the fall??

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
                  Here are my thoughts on the game. ISU is a very good FB team massive OL and TE that at times blew our DL off the ball. Very talented defense and that allowed them to blitz all afternoon. Other than there run game their offense didn’t impress me.
                  TC is a total difference maker. OL was under siege all game. I think our offensive play calling needs an intervention way to many Cute plays. I wish we ran more vertical routes They were there just the throws a little off. Penalty’s killed some key drives. I thought our defense played well, still some tackling issues in the backend when in the box. DL got some pressure. My question was where was the play calling from last week I hardly recall a blitz. Defense stepped up and won us to that one against a good valley opponent. And what a clutch kick by chase.

Overall real happy where the team is at this time of year. I think the biZon will have there hand full next week.
                  Perhaps they were even more reluctant to blitz due to success Redbirds' RB Robinson (#25) was having.

Comment

I enjoyed the game. It had constant tension only resolved by the final play. I’m with others who said credit has to be given to the Redbirds. That’s a team with a lot of weapons and we found a way to win. NDSU will have a tough time in Normal next Saturday.

the crowd size was very disappointing but I think it made a lot of noise at the right times. Our attendance continues to trend upward.

While I enjoy a good blowout win, I left the stadium with a much bigger smile yesterday than in games with a huge margin of victory. For two weeks in a row, we have won hard-fought battles.

Comment

Can we all give a round of applause for Vinatieri, what a season he is having. TD run, probably our team's biggest hit, and now a game winning FG...and sandwiched in between all of that he battled through a pretty rough case of the yips. Kids a baller.

Comment

TC seemed to take more "bad" hits in this game than almost the rest of the season combined. I thought the party was over when he got planted directly on his throwing shoulder on the touchdown pass to Jacob Brown and was slow to get up. The NDSU defense is supposedly the best defense in the Valley, but the Redbird group was more impressive to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                          I don't see them reducing ticket prices. You'd think they would've done so after attendance at last season's playoff game, as prices for those tickets are dependent upon regular season rates.

Maybe Jacks could have a Wildlife & Fisheries sponsored "hunter and conservation appreciation" promo where folks either get a reduced-price ticket or concession coupon for showing their hunting license.
                          I don't think ticket price has anything to do with it. Bottom line is there is a finite number of fans who will be there regardless of opponent, weather, other entertainment options or seasonal work responsibilities. I'm amazed the minimal number of students who will show up for a game and even fewer who will sit to the end. I know some students at other P5 schools who would do anything to be able to attend a game, but they are not available or too expensive. I don't see us getting over 10,000 for a late season game or playoff game for a while. Thankfully the weather somewhat kept the numbers close to 10,000. I love the energy from the diehards though!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            I don't think ticket price has anything to do with it. Bottom line is there is a finite number of fans who will be there regardless of opponent, weather, other entertainment options or seasonal work responsibilities. I'm amazed the minimal number of students who will show up for a game and even fewer who will sit to the end. I know some students at other P5 schools who would do anything to be able to attend a game, but they are not available or too expensive. I don't see us getting over 10,000 for a late season game or playoff game for a while. Thankfully the weather somewhat kept the numbers somewhat close to 10,000. I love the energy from the diehards though!
                            One of the most underrated rivalries in all of sports...Jackrabbit fans vs the vaunted calendar flip to the month of November.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                              One of the most underrated rivalries in all of sports...Jackrabbit fans vs the vaunted calendar flip to the month of November.
                              I bet the state high school FB champions left lot of SF people going south rather then North
                              Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Has defensive holding always been an add-on penalty ? I thought you either took the play or the penalty ?

Comment

Working...
                                X