Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: UC Irvine Anteaters

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
    I don't see any way that Key is not in the top 5. The ball movement was outstanding with him in the line-up, and he handled the full court pressure at the end with ease. He doesn't have to score to be a valuable asset with the way he pushes the ball, and I think that part of his game will come with time.
    He's probably the best true pass-first point guard to come through SDSU in awhile. His shot isn't there yet, but that isn't why he was brought into the program. We have plenty of guys that can score, but we didn't really have anyone that can create space off the bounce a get into the teeth of the defense. When was the last time you saw a Jackrabbit break a full court press by himself?

Just based on what I say last night, I am going Key, Jenkins, Skyler, Telly, and Daum. But really, it looks like TJ could go 10 deep and not lose a lot.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I don't see any way that Key is not in the top 5. The ball movement was outstanding with him in the line-up, and he handled the full court pressure at the end with ease. He doesn't have to score to be a valuable asset with the way he pushes the ball, and I think that part of his game will come with time.
      I feel you, that is the one I wasn't sure about. I would like to see if Key can be somewhat of a scoring threat first though. King's defense is tough to keep off the court. Again, good problem to have.

Comment

Who was handling the ball when he sat? Was it Jenkins? Last year down the stretch we didn't really have a backup point guard when Orris sat, and I'm a little worried about that this year.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
          Who was handling the ball when he sat? Was it Jenkins? Last year down the stretch we didn't really have a backup point guard when Orris sat, and I'm a little worried about that this year.
          Tevin King is the backup. Tevin played solid. He does not have the speed, but he did not have extra turnovers either. Key had a better defense evening than his exhibition game. He also tried fewer drives to the bucket among the big men from UC Irvine. He occasionally throwing the ball inside to big guys a bit low which is hard for them to handle with the zip Key has on the ball. Key also made free throws late in the game which he has struggled earlier.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

We are loaded. I think Jenkins will be a beast for 4 years. I really feel like this year will be something special. We beat a good team and it was never in doubt even with daum having a pedestrian night.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              He's probably the best true pass-first point guard to come through SDSU in awhile. His shot isn't there yet, but that isn't why he was brought into the program. We have plenty of guys that can score, but we didn't really have anyone that can create space off the bounce a get into the teeth of the defense. When was the last time you saw a Jackrabbit break a full court press by himself?

Just based on what I say last night, I am going Key, Jenkins, Skyler, Telly, and Daum. But really, it looks like TJ could go 10 deep and not lose a lot.
              For a good part of the second half, Key, King and Jenkins were all on the floor at the same time (until Tevin got dinged). I think we will see that quite a bit, especially against teams that don't have a lot of size at the 3 spot.

Comment

Given the emphasis that the coach puts on defense, I think King will continue to start and Jenkins will continue to come off bench to provide offensive punch. The starters for the first two games (counting the Mines game) have been Key, Flatten, King, Telly and Daum. I don't know if Howell will work his way back to being a starter or not.
                This space for lease.

Comment

For a good part of the second half, Key, King and Jenkins were all on the floor at the same time (until Tevin got dinged). I think we will see that quite a bit, especially against teams that don't have a lot of size at the 3 spot.
                  This backcourt is going to run circles around most of the Summit. I just don't see many that could stay in front of Key.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                    Given the emphasis that the coach puts on defense, I think King will continue to start and Jenkins will continue to come off bench to provide offensive punch. The starters for the first two games (counting the Mines game) have been Key, Flatten, King, Telly and Daum. I don't know if Howell will work his way back to being a starter or not.
                    If I remember correctly, the year Daum was a freshman he led the team in scoring and he was the 6th man.
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                      I don't think we have a second true point guard on this roster. Probably why Otz is bringing two in the class we just signed.

Comment

It will be interesting to see, once Key gets up to speed in the offense, how often he is out for long stretches. He seems like the kind of guy that really only needs a spell here and there.

Comment

Tevin King hitting 3 of 4 from deep is a major development. He is our best on the ball defender coming into the season but was a liability offensively last year. He could take it to the hoop but because he wasn't a threat from deep opponents could really sag off of him on defense. If he changes that dynamic he will see a lot more minutes this year and the team would benefit greatly. Ha! Almost typed "the team will benefit bigly" because of a Trump interview running in the background.

Everything last night should only fuel more optimism about the upcoming year for this team! This is going to be a blast for men's and women's teams!

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I don't think we have a second true point guard on this roster. Probably why Otz is bringing two in the class we just signed.
                            That's my worry. I think it's probably our biggest weakness this year.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                            X