Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: UC Irvine Anteaters

65-54 Final. Jackrabbits win.

Odd game, but we gutted out a win and I think that's a good sign to start the season.

David Jenkins Jr. is going to be exactly what this team needs. A pure scoring threat to make teams pay for overplaying Daum.

Daum had a rough game offensively, but his defense actually looked pretty good.

Tevin knocked down 3 three pointers, which is nice to see. Him not being a liability on the perimeter for the entire season would be great to see.

Telly took 3 charges and shot pretty well too.

Overall, I can't complain much about this game. Acceptable result against a good team.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Tevin King going 3-4 from 3 is encouraging.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        So Jenkins is legit?
        I would say that all the new guys are legit. Having a quick guard is really going to make this team go
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

UCI's size is going to give most mid-major teams fits. They completely locked down the paint and were a rebounding machine. Very solid. We had to find another way to win and got it done. Only three 2-pt FG's! That was a gritty win and one that the early version of last year's team definitely would not have gotten.

Key may not be much of a shooter but he's fun to watch - so fast with the ball. It looks like he and Jenkins are likely to be an upgrade us compared to Orris/Hess.

Comment

Man... If Jenkins can be the #2 scoring threat and take that burden off of Reed. Look out. If Jenkins and Key can provide good minutes like tonight, with Polk-Hilliard developing hopefully, this team is crazy deep with Howell and Flatten coming off the bench. Awesome to see us win with Daum having an off night. Hopefully it's evidence of just how deep this team is. I loved our defensive effort. The offense definitely left some things to be desired, as we definitely relied on the 3 too much, but our defense looked really good I thought.

Comment

Ryan Krueger, Alou Dillon, Alex Arians, and Matt Dentlinger were in black contrasting sweats from the rest of the team. I wonder if that is an indicator of a red shirt season.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                Man... If Jenkins can be the #2 scoring threat and take that burden off of Reed. Look out. If Jenkins and Key can provide good minutes like tonight, with Polk-Hilliard developing hopefully, this team is crazy deep with Howell and Flatten coming off the bench. Awesome to see us win with Daum having an off night. Hopefully it's evidence of just how deep this team is. I loved our defensive effort. The offense definitely left some things to be desired, as we definitely relied on the 3 too much, but our defense looked really good I thought.
                flatten started tonight or are you setting the lineup for Sunday?
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                  flatten started tonight or are you setting the lineup for Sunday?
                  True, I forgot about that. Jenkins did end up playing 2 more minutes. Either way, whether it's Jenkins or Flatten off the bench, it will be a really nice luxury to have. Our best 5 might be King, Jenkins, Flatten, Reed, Daum. Throw in Key, Howell, Severyn, and Thiesen and you've got a solid 9 man rotation. Didn't get to see enough of Polk-Hilliard to form an opinion.

Comment

Good win against a big, strong team. They were all over Daum and out-rebounded the Jacks by 13 or so. But the Jacks played really good defense, and Jenkins and Telly had pretty good offensive nights. It was nice to have a healthy Theisen providing good minutes. I thought Telly took four charges and got called for a questionable foul on a possible fifth.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

King plays such fierce defense that he's going to be hard to keep out of the lineup. However, with a few minutes to go in the game, he got fouled down low on the offensive end, crashed to the floor and apparently suffered a blow to the head. The game was still undecided at that point. I think Theisen shot his free throws. King went to the hallway to get checked and never returned to the game. I hope he's OK. He's a tough, scrappy dude.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        So Jenkins is legit?
                        I had a quiet optimism about Jenkins since he signed, but I'm thinking I might be less quiet about it from here on out.

I honestly didn't think we had a chance at him when we offered, but TJ's recruiting skill and contacts came through on this one.
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          Good win against a big, strong team. They were all over Daum and out-rebounded the Jacks by 13 or so. But the Jacks played really good defense, and Jenkins and Telly had pretty good offensive nights. It was nice to have a healthy Theisen providing good minutes. I thought Telly took four charges and got called for a questionable foul on a possible fifth.
                          A healthy and lean Theisen. He looked lean and better prepared to contribute defensively.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                          The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                            I had a quiet optimism about Jenkins since he signed, but I'm thinking I might be less quiet about it from here on out.

I honestly didn't think we had a chance at him when we offered, but TJ's recruiting skill and contacts came through on this one.
                            His post game interview was okay too. He referenced that one of the reasons he came to SDSU is the fan support and he thought the crowd last night was terrific. He loves coach Otz, not surprising.

I thought his jump shot looked very smooth, and later in the game he probed the lane a couple of times and didn't necessarily get home but was looking for that element to his game too. I think as the season goes along we are going to see the development of a special player.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
                            The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                              True, I forgot about that. Jenkins did end up playing 2 more minutes. Either way, whether it's Jenkins or Flatten off the bench, it will be a really nice luxury to have. Our best 5 might be King, Jenkins, Flatten, Reed, Daum. Throw in Key, Howell, Severyn, and Thiesen and you've got a solid 9 man rotation. Didn't get to see enough of Polk-Hilliard to form an opinion.
                              I don't see any way that Key is not in the top 5. The ball movement was outstanding with him in the line-up, and he handled the full court pressure at the end with ease. He doesn't have to score to be a valuable asset with the way he pushes the ball, and I think that part of his game will come with time.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                                UCI's size is going to give most mid-major teams fits. They completely locked down the paint and were a rebounding machine. Very solid. We had to find another way to win and got it done. Only three 2-pt FG's! That was a gritty win and one that the early version of last year's team definitely would not have gotten.
                                You combine that size with playing a zone and there wasn't much to be had for the Jacks inside. This early in the season I'm sure the Jacks haven't practiced much offense to use against a zone defense, as they will not see it very much.

Comment

Working...
                                X