This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019 Recruits

Doug Wilson was one of the four recruits that were announced last November. GoJacks story on recruiting class.

He led the ICCAC in the following categories this season while becoming the Region XI tourney MVP and conference POY:

22.5 pts/game
    8.6 reb/game
    53 blocks
    68.9% FG%

Comment

Kirkwood Community College has a strong track record in the NJCCA D2. The last time they qualified for the national tournament, they won it. This year they will enter the tourney as the #1 seed out of 16 teams to be played March 19-23 in Danville, IL.

Four of the last five Region XI MVP's have come from KCC. Jordan Ashton (2015), Hunter Rhodes (2016), and Miles Wentzien (2017). Ashton went to Iowa State for one year before finishing his career at UNI. Both Rhodes and Wentzien played at UNI. None of the three were major contributors at the next level.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
        Kirkwood Community College has a strong track record in the NJCCA D2. The last time they qualified for the national tournament, they won it. This year they will enter the tourney as the #1 seed out of 16 teams to be played March 19-23 in Danville, IL.

Four of the last five Region XI MVP's have come from KCC. Jordan Ashton (2015), Hunter Rhodes (2016), and Miles Wentzien (2017). Ashton went to Iowa State for one year before finishing his career at UNI. Both Rhodes and Wentzien played at UNI. None of the three were major contributors at the next level.
        I was pretty excited until your last sentence.

Comment

Doug Wilson was one of the four recruits that were announced last November. GoJacks story on recruiting class.

He led the ICCAC in the following categories this season while becoming the Region XI tourney MVP and conference POY:

22.5 pts/game
          8.6 reb/game
          53 blocks
          68.9% FG%
          I'm cautious in my excitement for this young man. WIU Game showed we need more gritty toughness down low and Wilson judging by stats appears to be a pure low post player. However, with the exception of a late surge from Brandon Key last year, TJ has in my opinion bombed with JUCOs. Hopefully he gets this one right because we will be young and raw next year in the post.

Comment

Originally posted by MNJack3 View Post
            I'm cautious in my excitement for this young man. WIU Game showed we need more gritty toughness down low and Wilson judging by stats appears to be a pure low post player. However, with the exception of a late surge from Brandon Key last year, TJ has in my opinion bombed with JUCOs. Hopefully he gets this one right because we will be young and raw next year in the post.

Former ISU and FGCU big man Brady Ernst is grad transferring according to Rothstein on Twitter. 6'10 PF/C. My guess a TJ recruit back at ISU....

FYI as of course rosters will shift significantly as seasons end.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
              Doug Wilson will be here next year.
              thanks

Comment

Baylor Scheierman senior highlights:

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4639961...53c20d5ccf316f
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post

I like those ball skills for his 6'6 size - good versatility. Those Kevin Love style outlet passes will go well with Caleb Grills breakaway dunking ability too.

Here's something Omaha World Herald writer Mike Sautter had to say about him a few weeks ago:

Every time I watch South Dakota State signee Baylor Scheierman play, I notice something he has added to his game. He is without a doubt the best passer in the state, no matter the grade or classification. On Monday, he showed the ability to take smaller defenders in the post and score with a move that is usually reserved for post players. Scheierman could have had a triple-double if he played the entire game. With the outcome not in doubt, he sat most of the second half, finishing with 18 points, eight rebounds and six assists.

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post

It will be interesting how his body will change and athletic ability change when he gets to the next level. He destroyed so many opponents in both football and basketball because of his length and what's between his ears. When he gets to the next level, he will be competing against a much higher level of athletic ability and size.

That being said, I had a chance to see him play in two games this season. Against an athletic but not real skilled Lexington, NE team and against a more skilled Kearney Catholic team. Impressive!!! If he gets quicker and a little more athletic, you may be surprised with how this kid develops at the next level.

In his videos and from the comments from Mike Sautter from the Omaha World Herald, he's a phenomenal passer. Those comments are referring to his passing on the court, but you could say the same about on the gridiron too. His vision and court savvy remind me of Nate Wolters. He's not as dynamic going to the hole like Nate, but his vision, length, and creativity are there. His shooting range is phenomenal and that was evident as a sophomore and junior. If he has time to redshirt, we could have something real special with him and Caleb Grill in a few years. Need to pair them up with an athletic/quick guard and a solid inside presence.

Comment

It will be interesting how his body will change and athletic ability change when he gets to the next level. He destroyed so many opponents in both football and basketball because of his length and what's between his ears. When he gets to the next level, he will be competing against a much higher level of athletic ability and size.

In his videos and from the comments from Mike Sautter from the Omaha World Herald, he's a phenomenal passer. Those comments are referring to his passing on the court, but you could say the same about on the gridiron too. His vision and court savvy remind me of Nate Wolters. He's not as dynamic going to the hole like Nate, but his vision, length, and creativity are there. His shooting range is phenomenal and that was evident as a sophomore and junior. If he has time to redshirt, we could have something real special with him and Caleb Grill in a few years. Need to pair them up with an athletic/quick guard and a solid inside presence.
                      Well geez, that was a fun 7:30 of highlight film. I agree with basically everything you said. Looks like his quickness would be his main weakness at this stage, but man, what an exciting player. I have no idea if he'd redshirt or not, but he kind of seems like Owen King in that he is extremely talented but will take a little while to get his quickness up to a high D1 level. This is an extremely exciting duo to have coming in with him and Grill. Two long guards that look like they will compliment each other well.

Comment

It will be interesting to see what the Jacks do with the scholarship that they have left. With no scholarship players in next year's senior class, it would make sense in a perfect world to bring in a grad transfer for a year, and then be able to use that scholarship again for the 20/21 season.

Comment

Caleb Grill senior year highlights: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6454703...53c210846cb766

Yeeeeeeeeesh
                          Originally posted by JackFan96
                          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                            Caleb Grill senior year highlights: https://www.hudl.com/video/3/6454703...53c210846cb766

Yeeeeeeeeesh
                            Unreal.

Comment

Yeah so....I think Grill might contribute next year

Comment

Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post
                                Well geez, that was a fun 7:30 of highlight film. I agree with basically everything you said. Looks like his quickness would be his main weakness at this stage, but man, what an exciting player. I have no idea if he'd redshirt or not, but he kind of seems like Owen King in that he is extremely talented but will take a little while to get his quickness up to a high D1 level. This is an extremely exciting duo to have coming in with him and Grill. Two long guards that look like they will compliment each other well.
                                How do you develop quickness? I'm not trying to start a fight about it but it seems to me you either have it or you don't?

Comment

Working...
                                X