X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 Recruits

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    Let me preface this by saying that I am neither a Nebraska fan nor a Nebraska hater. With that being said, I think that folks have put a lot of high hopes on Frost. What is deemed "righting the ship" exactly? He isn't going to win a NC at Nebraska unless there is a major paradigm shift in the FBS.

But I do agree that we will probably lose a few guys near term as they buy into the hype of being at Nebraska. However, it doesn't seem to me that Stig and company are really big on the FBS transfers. Maybe I am forgetting some major contributors to the team, but it just doesn't seem to be our forte. Perhaps that will change too.
    I also am neither a Nebraska lover or hater, but have been here long enough to pay attention to some of the things that have happened. If the only measurement of success for Frost is National Championships then you are correct, he will be a huge failure. My version of success is getting back to being a consistent top 20 program with moments in the top 10. You have remember they were a bottom 30 FBS program last year. The turnaround will take a few years but I think it will happen.

Guys like Callahan, Pelini and Riley gave lip service to a lot of things that Nebraska used to do that they were going to continue, but it was easy to see it wasn't happening. Here are some of the things I see....

Walk-ons ....the last three head coaches talked about it, but this is the first time we have been nervous about what is happening. He isn't only getting walk-ons he is getting some of the best of that tier of player.

In-state recruiting.....for the first time in almost 2 decades Nebraska has commitments from four of the top 5 in state recruits and most likely will land the 5th. Not even their own kids were staying here. I can't overstate the importance of keeping kids who will live and die for the program and won't run home when they aren't guaranteed a starting position or run into some competition.

Weightlifting and conditioning. ....Frost was shocked at how far the Huskers had fallen and had to readjust their starting point downward. Husker football was always about winning in the trenches and they have been pushed around for years. It will take a little time but that will come back. They actually dominated the line of scrimmage against Colorado but shot themselves in the foot too many times.

Probably the biggest thing he has going for him is that Nebraska has a wealth of resources the most important of which is patience for the homegrown son. He will be given a very long leash unless he screws it up badly.

What separates the great coaches from the average ones is they make people believe in themselves, the program and the process. A lot of national people think Frost has that gift. Given his success so far at Oregon and Central Florida it is hard to argue they aren't right.

Look for a little bump in success next year based on schedule alone. This year they have Michigan at home and Ohio State, Michigan State, Wisconsin and Iowa on the road. Next year they will have Ohio State, Iowa and Wisconsin at home and the Michigans will be replaced with Indiana and Maryland. Couple that schedule with an additional year of learning the system, weight training and not having a true freshman at quarterback and they are poised to look like they have made major strides which can only help with recruiting.

As for SDSU, they haven't had a tradition of bringing on FBS transfers but continued success may change that. To be honest, we haven't been as attractive destination in the past as we currently are and if I'm not mistaken we have two FBS transfers this year, one of which appears to be on track to be a major contributor. I'm not sure what Stig plans are....but getting kids who you initially recruited to come your way after a year or two on a FBS conditioning and nutrition program doesn't sound like a bad deal.

Anyway, sorry for hijacking a basketball thread, I'll stop now .

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      That why I mentioned the move to D1, its given us resources, namely scholarship money, that we did not have in the NCC days. It was amazing how some young men would pay their own way just to be on scholarship the final year at UNL and also collect that Orange Bowl Ring. The walk on program may not work for Frost like it did for Osborne. Yes, I agree he might get a few from us, but if Eric Henderson SDSU bb assistant stays in contact, we should see Mr. Scheierman should show up on schedule.
      It's not only the scholarship money, but facilities are light years ahead now at SDSU as well. It was probably much easier to turn down a half scholarship to SDSU back in the NCC days when we had outdoor practices in horrible weather, a smelly brick building for a locker room, throw away trailers for video rooms, and borderline competitive teams than it is now when we offer full rides, cost of attendance, top-notch training and practice facilities, a new stadium, and a top 5 ranked program with players in the NFL.

Not saying that Nebraska won't cause problems, but I think we'll still pull plenty of recruits from that area.

Comment

Nebraska will only cause problems if they start winning 10+ games per year. I see no evidence that the huskers are likely to return to that type success. Everybody is really high on frost, but the dude has coached one game as a husker so far (and lost), and there's nothing to say that he'll have them competing immediately. The college football landscape has changed dramatically in the last 17 years since UNL was a dominant force, and despite all of their tradition of winning, I don't think you'll ever see them return to their former glory. If Scott goes 9-4 a few seasons in a row, what then? If UNL starts making January bowl games on a consistent basis, it might hurt our recruiting some. And the first year or two of the Scott frost era will have a lot of hype (just like it does right now), but if that dies down after a few mediocre seasons, I don't think it'll hurt us much in the long run. He's a great coach, but I don't think he's taking UNL back to their former perch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
          It's not only the scholarship money, but facilities are light years ahead now at SDSU as well. It was probably much easier to turn down a half scholarship to SDSU back in the NCC days when we had outdoor practices in horrible weather, a smelly brick building for a locker room, throw away trailers for video rooms, and borderline competitive teams than it is now when we offer full rides, cost of attendance, top-notch training and practice facilities, a new stadium, and a top 5 ranked program with players in the NFL.

Not saying that Nebraska won't cause problems, but I think we'll still pull plenty of recruits from that area.
          Thank You! I totally forgot to mention. There were very few Nebraskan on the roster in 1986 when I became a full time follower. No Cade Johnson’s for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
            Nebraska will only cause problems if they start winning 10+ games per year. I see no evidence that the huskers are likely to return to that type success. Everybody is really high on frost, but the dude has coached one game as a husker so far (and lost), and there's nothing to say that he'll have them competing immediately. The college football landscape has changed dramatically in the last 17 years since UNL was a dominant force, and despite all of their tradition of winning, I don't think you'll ever see them return to their former glory. If Scott goes 9-4 a few seasons in a row, what then? If UNL starts making January bowl games on a consistent basis, it might hurt our recruiting some. And the first year or two of the Scott frost era will have a lot of hype (just like it does right now), but if that dies down after a few mediocre seasons, I don't think it'll hurt us much in the long run. He's a great coach, but I don't think he's taking UNL back to their former perch.
            some very good points here. I was watching and-NE-Co in Club 71 Sat, Scott’s demeanor was much like that of Tom Obsorne, the winner. Frost record so far is a winner, but then there is Peter Priniple. I think we should be talking 2019 B.B. recruits.

Comment

I am not quite sure how Husker football became the focus of 2019 Jackrabbit Men's Basketball thread. The QB kid does not count if he is basketball committed. If Miles was the center of the discussion, it might make more sense. OK I am ready for the reader digest report.
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Caleb Grill on campus today.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post

Will he be preforming at halftime? Might be a way to increase sale of season tickets? Seriously what an asset to our program. The Pride can take day off as they do not really add to the fan base like a guy name Caleb will.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post

Me too.

Comment

• Re: 2019 Recruits

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                      Me too.
                      And 2 other 2019 basketball recruits to lay the red carpet for you.

Comment

Will he be preforming at halftime? Might be a way to increase sale of season tickets? Seriously what an asset to our program. The Pride can take day off as they do not really add to the fan base like a guy name Caleb will.
                        I beg your pardon?!?
                        Rollin' in my 5.0
                        With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                        Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
                          I beg your pardon?!?
                          I trying to be humorous and also taking a shot at those who think that the quality of tailgating has a direct affect on fan base size. Play on

Comment

• 2019 Recruits

I trying to be humorous and also taking a shot at those who think that the quality of tailgating has a direct affect on fan base size. Play on😏
                            Do you honestly believe that tailgating doesn’t have an effect on the size of the fan base?

Let’s list the largest fan bases that pop into my head for the FCS.

Ndsu: great tailgating
                            Montana: great tailgating
                            Montana State: great tailgating
                            HBCUs: regularly have massive attendance for their “classics” because it’s a party. Bucket list level tailgating.

SEC: known for.....great tailgating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Caleb Grill, T.J. Otzelberger, Eric Henderson and Mike Daum

0 replies 4 retweets 25 likes

Direct message

Comment

The last photo might be our first look inside the practice facility.

Comment

Working...
                                X