X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019 Recruits

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    He was gone the minute he decommitted. So was DJJ.

Yeah, I know they both said they still might come to SDSU but when was the last time we saw that happen? It doesn't happen. They just say that to appease the current fan base, coaches and future teammates. Matt Mooney said the same thing about possibly coming back to USD when he announced it was going to consider grad transferring.
    does Caleb’s dad farm? Maybe he needs a new tractor?

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
      does Caleb’s dad farm? Maybe he needs a new tractor?
      HaHa. I bet that would be a first for NCAA violations.

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
        HaHa. I bet that would be a first for NCAA violations.
        I can’t think of it, what movie is that from?

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
          I can’t think of it, what movie is that from?
          Blue Chips.
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
            Thanks!

Comment

Oh yes Friends of the team, they bought a tractor and Bob Cousy played the AD, Vic Roker, who did not have a clue about what was going on around him. It’s a great movie.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 04-04-2019, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                He was gone the minute he decommitted. So was DJJ.

Yeah, I know they both said they still might come to SDSU but when was the last time we saw that happen? It doesn't happen. They just say that to appease the current fan base, coaches and future teammates. Matt Mooney said the same thing about possibly coming back to USD when he announced it was going to consider grad transferring.
                I considered both of them gone as soon as they announced their release, but on occasion players do go back to their original commitment. I'd guess it happens less than 5% of the time, but it has happened and will happen again... however I would advise not to invest any hope or emotion in seeing either in a Jackrabbit uniform next year.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

I considered both of them gone as soon as they announced their release, but on occasion players do go back to their original commitment. I'd guess it happens less than 5% of the time, but it has happened and will happen again... however I would advise not to invest any hope or emotion in seeing either in a Jackrabbit uniform next year.
                  What does this say about our former coach and his recruiting ability? A great deal, both candidates will receive their degrees somewhere else because of a coaching change. Its hard for some of us to grasp what has happen in the past few days. To my way of thinking the one thing that might drive both back to SDSU, is the lack of playing time or unkept promises. Both these young men are taking a risk that they will get as much playing time as they want, but it just might not work that way. I think Hendo would be wise to keep all the communication channels open.
                  Last edited by Nidaros; 04-04-2019, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    What does this say about our former coach and his recruiting ability? A great deal, both candidates will receive their degrees somewhere else because of a coaching change. Its hard for some of us to grasp what has happen in the past few years.
                    Nidaros beat me to it this morning, but he's right. We've heard numerous complaints that TJ's success was built on Nagy's players. No doubt, Nagy brought in some overlooked gems and TJ benefited from this most recent graduating class. That said, we all can agree that Grill was our highest ranked recruit that signed with SDSU. Getting offers from multiple P5 schools before and after making that commitment is a testament to the level of recruit he was for us. DJJ despite some of his flaws is a prolific scorer that can help nearly any DI program. Last year's signing class was very good even if it doesn't have any bona-fide stars in it at this time. That could change with more development and experience.

We've been spoiled by two elite players in the recent run of Summit League championships. Wolters and Daum were overlooked talents that became mega stars for us. Larson had to stumble elsewhere before he came to SDSU. You almost have to go back to Jordan Dykstra to find a comparable high school recruit to Grill, who committed to SDSU. Dykstra had previously committed to Iowa State prior to his senior year of high school. When Fred Hoiberg took over the reigns at Iowa State in 2010, I'm not sure he had the same vision of Dykstra that the previous coach did and Dykstra ended up committing to SDSU.

While it is frustrating to lose this much talent at one time, it is important to understand how blessed we've been in the last decade. Our expectations for winning the Summit every year with reloaded stars has been an incredible ride. That level of success is hard to replicate every year. TJ just happened to be the coach at the end of this most recent ride and I believe he had a major hand in the success. Was he perfect? No. I'm sure he will have growing pains at UNLV, but he had a significant impact on this program with some of the players he brought in, some he retained like Daum, and he signed a potential star in the making in Grill. Grill is no longer part of the equation. Some of those stars are gone. It suck's, but our expectations are really high.

I don't want to digress from the recruiting thread for 2019, but I think we have to recognize that TJ had done an amazing job recruiting his most recent class. I'm hoping Henderson can create his own magic and create an amazing legacy like AJ has done with the women's program. He will have to do it his own way and comparisons to what Nagy and TJ had done will be made. Disappointment over losing so much in the last month is warranted and unprecedented with our men's basketball program, but I don't believe the sky is falling. We will need patience. TJ struggled mightily in his first year here, but he had a great foundation to work with in a budding star. Henderson will have to find some key experienced talent much like TJ did after Nagy left. We have a very young team with a couple of talented recruiting classes the last two years, despite Grill not being part of the equation.

I'm still super excited about our future, I just have to remind myself that while we've lost so much during the last month, I'm still a huge Jackrabbit fan and look forward to Hendo's stamp on this program.
                    Last edited by GopherHole; 04-04-2019, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Yes, it sucks losing Grill and Jenkins, but I think there is still plenty to be excited about.

Scheierman has drawn huge praise in Nebraska and Coburn gives us an inside presence we've lacked in recent years.

Recent signing Buchanan looks like another good scoring threat, which should negate some of the pain of losing DJJ.

Owen King looked good in limited minutes, and Mims is waiting for his chance as well after a red-shirt.

Also have Dentlinger and Dillon returning along with JUCO Douglas Wilson.

The cupboard may be a bit short of high-end talent, but it is far from bare. I think this roster could still be an upper half team in the Summit next season.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                        Yes, it sucks losing Grill and Jenkins, but I think there is still plenty to be excited about.

Scheierman has drawn huge praise in Nebraska and Coburn gives us an inside presence we've lacked in recent years.

Recent signing Buchanan looks like another good scoring threat, which should negate some of the pain of losing DJJ.

Owen King looked good in limited minutes, and Mims is waiting for his chance as well after a red-shirt.

Also have Dentlinger and Dillon returning along with JUCO Douglas Wilson.

The cupboard may be a bit short of high-end talent, but it is far from bare. I think this roster could still be an upper half team in the Summit next season.
                        A piece I would like to see added is a bigger (6'6) wing player who can shoot the 3 - similiar to AJ Hess. A grad transfer would be ideal as that opens the scholarship again a year from now.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          A piece I would like to see added is a bigger (6'6) wing player who can shoot the 3 - similiar to AJ Hess. A grad transfer would be ideal as that opens the scholarship again a year from now.
                          We already have Ty Slatten.

Comment

Though it goes against the anti-TJ theme here, I'm in agreement with a few of you. The simple fact that he brought in two guys that are now desired by Kansas, Iowa State, Creighton, Gonzaga etc makes me very optimistic about what those that are still with us are capable of. They may never reach that level but we might just have a stable of horses to build around.

Comment

Nice to read some optimistic points of view. There are always guys looking for playing time -- defections in a program opens up positions. I'm looking forward to seeing what Coach Henderson can do.

Comment

Here’s a video from when Doug Wilson (33 blue) and Kirkwood played at DMACC vs Tray Buchanan (2 white) in late February. Wilson had 22 points and 14 rebounds in 25 minutes. Tray had 30 points going 12-13 from the line. Kirkwood won 94-78.
                                https://youtu.be/MNdiOFERZkg

Comment

Working...
                                X