Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seed Scenarios

Originally posted by mmiller_34 View Post
    My thoughts are that that committee will ignore this rule or do everything possible to make sure we aren't seeded (regardless if we win or lose next weekend) so we have to go to Fargo.

However illogical this might sound. It is my feeling that SDSU will always have a less than desirable playoff draw.
    I thought this also, won’t hold my breath until it actually happens. Almost like they are trying to avoid a all valley championship game.
    Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

If we win next weekend, we will have a seed. I don't think that winning and not being seeded is a possibility at this point. But I do agree that there is a little evidence to suggest SDSU will ever get a fair road in the playoffs.

Since 2012, of our 5 post season appearances, the Jacks have bent sent to Fargo or would have gone to fargo with a win (2015) in 4 out of five years, even when seeded with a bye. The one year we got a different draw, only two MVFC teams made the field due to some crazy tie breaking scenarios, and the committee pretty much had to place them on opposite sides.

I'm not sure if the committee actively schemes against the MVFC, but due to their 400 mile bus rule and their mandate to save travel costs, the position of SDSU's geography will always screw us over. We do not have a plethora of teams within 400 miles of us from out of conference that we could potentially pair up with in the post season, and thus we are left with the teams that are near us. Our unfortunate reality is that the team near us is one of the most prolific college football dynasties in the country. It sucks, but if we are going to win a national championship in the FCS, the body of evidence suggests that we will have to beat NDSU to fo it. And that game will almost certainly be in Fargo.

In a fair world, a 9-2 SDSU this season would be a 4/5 seed and either hosting Sam Houston or traveling down there for a quarter final game, with the winner onto JMU in the semi finals.

With the conspiracy theory nature to seedings in the past though, look for NDSU and SDSU to be a 6/3, a 4/5, or a 7/2 match up so the NCAA can save a few bucks on jet fuel.

Comment

Originally posted by He hate me View Post
        Bumping this as there is still a lot of discussion about us being placed on the bison side if the bracket. According to this, it can't happen. Would obviously be a new rule this year. Thoughts?
        I don’t think that’s true tbh. Mostly because it’s the first time I’ve ever seen that sentence uttered or written by anyone. Odds are that Haley got confused IMO. No way that the writers in Fargo, Zimmer, and every FCS fan in the country missed that rule change. Has to be a rule change too, considering last years shenanigans. I am of the opinion that once we get past the quarters it’s not the committees job to avoid matchups at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
          I don’t think that’s true tbh. Mostly because it’s the first time I’ve ever seen that sentence uttered or written by anyone. Odds are that Haley got confused IMO. No way that the writers in Fargo, Zimmer, and every FCS fan in the country missed that rule change. Has to be a rule change too, considering last years shenanigans. I am of the opinion that once we get past the quarters it’s not the committees job to avoid matchups at that point.

Also agree with that. You can't complain about conference rematches against great teams deep in the playoffs. SDSU and NDSU probably shouldn't have to play each other before the semis this year. But after that, we have to win the games in front of us, no matter who or where they are. As I mentioned earlier, given the choice between a semifinal @Fargo or a semifinal @JMU this year, the Jacks want the trip to Fargo, not Harrisonburg.

As a fan, I'd rather see us go to JMU and get to play some new teams in the playoff. But for the team's competitive advantage, playing in a building we've been in alot against a team we've played alot and have beaten (both home and away) recently has some competitive advantages for us.

Best case scenario for us at this point is quarterfinal game against someone not named JMU or NDSU. That game can be in Brookings or on the road. I like our chances either way.

Comment

I've been of the opinion that the only way that SDSU and NDSU get put on the opposite side of the bracket is if they are #1 and #2 seeds. Since they play one another every year, that will never happen.
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post

Verbiage is available here, and it looks like you are correct.

Primary consideration would be that any of the Valley teams not play each other through the quarterfinals due to being in same conference and playing during regular season.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                I've been of the opinion that the only way that SDSU and NDSU get put on the opposite side of the bracket is if they are #1 and #2 seeds. Since they play one another every year, that will never happen.

TIME OUT!

the "Almighty Bison" haven't won yet.(it's like y'all are handing them the W next week) That would certainly be a factor. If we win and they lose there is a case for us to be seeded above them so it's possible the road could travel through brookings. But 1st things first lets take care of the prairie dogs.

FWIW I think the Bison lose next week

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post

TIME OUT!

the "Almighty Bison" haven't won yet. That would certainly be a factor. If we win and they lose there is a case for us to be seeded above them so it's possible the road could travel through brookings. But 1st things first lets take care of the prairie dogs.

I'd be interested in the rationale for seeding the Bison above the Jacks in that scenario. Seems like the only explanation would be that the committee is living in the past

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                    I'd be interested in the rationale for seeding the Bison above the Jacks in that scenario. Seems like the only explanation would be that the committee is living in the past
                    Only rational thing I can think of is that they would have beat the two teams that beat us? Their non-con win over EWU is better than ours over MSU, but neither are great wins. There really would be no fair way they'd get seeded higher if both are 9-2. We'd be co champions with the same record, be head to head winners, and have wins over at least 3, and maybe even 4, playoff teams (NDSU, ISU, WIU and maybe USD), while theyd have wins over 2 for sure, and maybe 3 playoff teams (UNI, WIU, and maybe USD).

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                      Only rational thing I can think of is that they would have beat the two teams that beat us? Their non-con win over EWU is better than ours over MSU, but neither are great wins. There really would be no fair way they'd get seeded higher if both are 9-2. We'd be co champions with the same record, be head to head winners, and have wins over at least 3, and maybe even 4, playoff teams (NDSU, ISU, WIU and maybe USD), while theyd have wins over 2 for sure, and maybe 3 playoff teams (UNI, WIU, and maybe USD).
                      Plus we will have defeated the team that hands them their second loss.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAN9ORwsiVA
                        Last edited by slosho; 11-12-2017, 02:49 PM.

Comment

I really think we're looking at NDSU as the 2, while we will be 5. Next most likely is NDSU as the 2 and us as the 6, followed by them at the 3 and us at the 6. If we win out, I don't see how we can get moved down in the rankings (or jumped by someone behind us), short of just getting blatantly jobbed by the committee. For us, we want to be higher than a 7 seed, and hope that it isn't the 6/3 match up that I mentioned above.

Comment

RIP Denny Green, and they'd be waiting a long time for me to crown the dang Bison.

Comment

Also for fun (this is all for not if we trip over our ****s in Verm), I thought I'd post about some of the venues and towns we'd be playing in for the top 8 teams and stadiums for anyone that might be looking to make a road trip.

1. JMU - Bridgeforth stadium holds about 25,000 and is widely regarded as one of the best atmospheres in FCS and the best on the East Coast. Harrisonburg is around 60,000 population and is at the northern end of the Shenandoah Valley, about an hour out of DC.

2. Jacksonville State - Burgess - Snow stadium holds about 24,000 and has quite the atmosphere from what I've been told. Not an easy place to play, and Jacksonville Alabama in the northeast corner of the state isn't easy to get to either. Town is only about 10,000 people.

3. UCA - Conway Arkansas is home to the alternating purple-gray field of Estes stadium and it's 9000 seats. They were a recent D2 move up and have a pretty decent following for their size. Conway is just northwest of Little Rock and has a population of 60,000.

4. NDSU - No comment

5. SHSU - Huntsville, Texas is about an hour and half north of Houston, and just a little east of College Station. Population is 40,000, and it's on the edge of the Piney Woods country of east Texas. A game down there is likely to be warm, even in December. The Bearkats play in Bowers stadium and it's 12,500+ seats.

6. Elon - Rhodes stadium holds about 11,500, and is located in Elon, North Carolina, population 10,000. It's located halfway between the "Triangle" of Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill and the "Triad" of Greensboro-Winston Salem- High point in an otherwise unnoteworty part of the state.

7. SDSU- No comment

8. Wofford - The terriers play in front of 13,000 strong in Gibbs stadium. They are located in Spartanburg, SC in the upstate region of South Carolina, near the Appalachians and in the heart of the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson MSA, population 1.3 million

I don't want to put any carts before any horses, but this should serve as an idea of some places we may have to play in the post season.
                              Last edited by Mr_Tibbs; 11-19-2017, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post

TIME OUT!

the "Almighty Bison" haven't won yet.(it's like y'all are handing them the W next week) That would certainly be a factor. If we win and they lose there is a case for us to be seeded above them so it's possible the road could travel through brookings. But 1st things first lets take care of the prairie dogs.

The bison coming to Brookings again would be awesome, however, do we have a plan in place to keep tickets out of the hands of bison fans? Or it could be embarrassing considering our history of playoff attendance.

Comment

Working...
                                X