Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Seed Scenarios

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
    The playoff bracket is set. With the regular season behind us, what is everyone's expectations for this team as the #5 seed? What results will give you the "we lost, but I feel good" feeling? What results will give you the "I'm so tired of this happening" feeling?
    Pre-season expectations for this team were a trip to Frisco.

Seems to me that still stands. Aim high.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Honestly, I'd be happy making it to the final 4 against JMU and playing them tough.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        Honestly, I'd be happy making it to the final 4 against JMU and playing them tough.
        IF that happens I'll have both feelings, Is that allowable?

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
          IF that happens I'll have both feelings, Is that allowable?
          Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            I agree with this, I would say this is the expectation. Anything less would be a disappointment. Anything more would be icing.

Comment

The playoff bracket is set. With the regular season behind us, what is everyone's expectations for this team as the #5 seed? What results will give you the "we lost, but I feel good" feeling? What results will give you the "I'm so tired of this happening" feeling?
              I generally don't feel good after a lost. However, if you mean think positive about the season, the team needs to go farther than they did before. Two post season wins for a 'successful' post season.
              Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
              -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Obviously, this team has boat loads of potential, and it finally started realizing that potential in the last month. At the beginning of the season, I would have said anything less than a semi final appearance would be disappointing. At one point in the season, there were doubts we would even be able to get to 7-4 and make it in. In the last month, we've been trending up in a big way. So considering all that, I will not be pissed if we make it to the quarterfinals and have a competitive loss. I'll be disappointed because we have the talent to make it farther, and I want to play at JMU. But that's about where I end up "net neurtral". Realisitically, (taking nothing away from UCA, who looks to be a great team), the winner of the UNI/SDSU game has a very good shot at taking on JMU in the semis. If we make it to the semis, anything can happen. Also, purely from an exposure standpoint, both semi finals are on national television. Provided we don't lay an egg, being on national TV deep in the playoffs will pay dividends in our prestige/recruting.
                So, I won't be pissed if we lose a close game in the quarters. But anything less than that, and I think that'll be cause to be severely disappointed based on how this team came together and overcame adversity late in the season. This trend we're on should really play itself out in a match up with JMU in Harrisonburg on December 16th. After that, it's up to God and Stig.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                  Also for fun (this is all for not if we trip over our ****s in Verm), I thought I'd post about some of the venues and towns we'd be playing in for the top 8 teams and stadiums for anyone that might be looking to make a road trip.

1. JMU - Bridgeforth stadium holds about 25,000 and is widely regarded as one of the best atmospheres in FCS and the best on the East Coast. Harrisonburg is around 60,000 population and is at the northern end of the Shenandoah Valley, about an hour out of DC.

2. Jacksonville State - Burgess - Snow stadium holds about 24,000 and has quite the atmosphere from what I've been told. Not an easy place to play, and Jacksonville Alabama in the northeast corner of the state isn't easy to get to either. Town is only about 10,000 people.

3. UCA - Conway Arkansas is home to the alternating purple-gray field of Estes stadium and it's 9000 seats. They were a recent D2 move up and have a pretty decent following for their size. Conway is just northwest of Little Rock and has a population of 60,000.

4. NDSU - No comment

5. SHSU - Huntsville, Texas is about an hour and half north of Houston, and just a little east of College Station. Population is 40,000, and it's on the edge of the Piney Woods country of east Texas. A game down there is likely to be warm, even in December. The Bearkats play in Bowers stadium and it's 12,500+ seats.

6. Elon - Rhodes stadium holds about 11,500, and is located in Elon, North Carolina, population 10,000. It's located halfway between the "Triangle" of Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill and the "Triad" of Greensboro-Winston Salem- High point in an otherwise unnoteworty part of the state.

7. SDSU- No comment

8. Wofford - The terriers play in front of 13,000 strong in Gibbs stadium. They are located in Spartanburg, SC in the upstate region of South Carolina, near the Appalachians and in the heart of the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson MSA, population 1.3 million

I don't want to put any carts before any horses, but this should serve as an idea of some places we may have to play in the post season.

Bumping this for travel info for some of the teams in our bracket. Again, no premature carts and horses, but these will be the likely two locations the jacks will have to travel to should they beat UNI. It is possible that upsets could occur in another sector of the bracket, making it a slight possibility that Jacks could host the quarterfinals too. UNH is the best shot to beat UCA before we would potentially play them. On the other sector, WIU/Weber, SUU, and Stony Brook will all have a shot at JMU before we would potentially see them in the semis. If JMU goes down and we beat UCA/UNH, we would host a semi final as the next highest seeded team in our bracket. Not expecting it to happen, but just an FYI on all the travel scenarios.

Comment

I would like to say that it is "Frisco or Bust" for me, but I just can't put that kind of expectation on this team now that I have watched them for the entire season. I think that a trip to the Semis would be a definite positive end to the season.

What cannot happen is for this team to come out flat after the bye week. If they come out flat after the bye week, which has been norm, I would be very disappointed. It happened last year in the playoffs, thank god Villanova couldn't do anything, and it happened this year against Youngstown.

We finally got our wish and avoid NDSU in our second game and we need to take advantage of it.
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Put me in the 'Semifinals is the minimum expectation' group.

Also, I'm glad that we're going to get a rematch with UNI. I don't want anyone claiming some sort of moral victory over us as we're hoisting the championship trophy. I want that Hobo Day loss avenged, very badly.

Comment

I am trying to spin it in our favor. It's hard to beat a good team twice in a season. Like we did last year at ndsu. Uni had to change schemes against us. Now we can prepare for both their base and 3-4 so they will probably have to add new wrinkles again. I would like to think we won't be surprised by their unexpecting running attack.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          I am trying to spin it in our favor. It's hard to beat a good team twice in a season. Like we did last year at ndsu. Uni had to change schemes against us. Now we can prepare for both their base and 3-4 so they will probably have to add new wrinkles again. I would like to think we won't be surprised by their unexpecting running attack.
                          Wasn't it his first game back? Or first game back at 100%? I seem to recall that...

It took them getting out to a 17 point lead, due to turnovers, to beat us the first time. I just don't see that happening again. Maybe we just call for fair-catches on all kicks? ha
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            Wasn't it his first game back? Or first game back at 100%? I seem to recall that...

It took them getting out to a 17 point lead, due to turnovers, to beat us the first time. I just don't see that happening again. Maybe we just call for fair-catches on all kicks? ha
                            Problem is, we still have to catch it. (See NDSU game)

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                              Problem is, we still have to catch it. (See NDSU game)
                              No we don't. We could just block it. (See USD game)

Comment

I will side with what the team and coaches will feel.....anything less than a championship is a disappointment this season. Tell me when we will have this kind of talent at the skill positions at one time?
                                With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Working...
                                X