Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Seed Scenarios

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    Thought I'd invite a little discussion on some of the other games this upcoming weekend.

Weber State @ JMU Friday night on ESPN2
    Wofford @NDSU Saturday at 11AM
    Kennesaw State@ SHSU at 2 PM ESPN3

I didn't get to watch the Weber-SUU game last night, but from the sounds of it, they controlled the game after the first two series. JMU is obviously a fantastic team, and they have a lights out defense, but I wouldn't be shocked if Weber was able to knock them off Friday night. They have a great D, and they've performed well in both of their games thus far in the post season. A Weber win followed by us taking care of business on Saturday, and the Jacks will get to host a semifinal game the following weekend.
    Assuming the Jacks, Weber State, and the Bison all win, would you think the Bison would play Friday night and the Jacks and Weber State play on Sat. (12/16)?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
      Assuming the Jacks, Weber State, and the Bison all win, would you think the Bison would play Friday night and the Jacks and Weber State play on Sat. (12/16)?
      Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
        In an ideal world every team would be seeded and we would have an FBS style playoff committee instead of clueless ADs. No idea why some of these teams like NAU and UNH are in the field, they are so bad and these are teams the committee gave at-large bids to.
        No disagreement on the general sentiment expressed but just a little skeptical of your choice of example teams (NAU and UNH, knowing the Jacks are playing UNH this weekend. ) Most years, a very good case could be made that there should be no AQ for the non-scholarship league U of San Diego usually wins.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
          In an ideal world every team would be seeded and we would have an FBS style playoff committee instead of clueless ADs. No idea why some of these teams like NAU and UNH are in the field, they are so bad and these are teams the committee gave at-large bids to.

Let's all agree that the Current FCS system as flawed as it is (committee's assignment of placements) is still far superior to the 3 game FBS "Playoffs"

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
            Let's all agree that the Current FCS system as flawed as it is (committee's assignment of placements) is still far superior to the 3 game FBS "Playoffs"
            Oh you mean a system where an undefeated team doesn't get a chance to play for a title? The 4 team playoff is light years better than the BCS playoff, but I'd like to see the UCF's of the world at least get a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              Oh you mean a system where an undefeated team doesn't get a chance to play for a title? The 4 team playoff is light years better than the BCS playoff, but I'd like to see the UCF's of the world at least get a shot.
              Your post confuses me. I must not be smart. but I agree there are most certainly flaws with the current FCS system, But I'll argue it's better then the FBS system which has advanced from the previous Bowls only Model.

Edit: Which I think* was your point?
              Last edited by slosho; 12-04-2017, 09:51 AM. Reason: There I go Thinking again!

Comment

IMO there will always be flaws in any system. The point of a playoff is to get the best teams in it. The FCS defiantly has done this. I doubt many would argue there was a team left out that had a reasonable shot to win the NC. Seeding can always be debated but that is the nature of the beast.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                  Your post confuses me. I must not be smart. but I agree there are most certainly flaws with the current FCS system, But I'll argue it's better then the FBS system which has advanced from the previous Bowls only Model.

Edit: Which I think* was your point?
                  I was talking about the previous BCS system that used computers to rank the teams and then we magically had this national title game. The four team playoff is light years ahead of that, but if you're not in a P5 conference you've got virtually zero shot to get in, even if you go undefeated. I'd like to at least see the "little guys" get a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                    I'm assuming you're against conference champions from leagues like the Summit League in March Madness also?
                    I agree that the conference champions should get in. How many times have SDSU won a game in the MBB NCAA tourney?
                    With the format that we have, you get the conference champions and the top 8 or so at large teams(there might be more at larges that are a coin flip on if they are better than another at large but the teams that have a shot at winning it all are in). If you don't place high enough in your conference you don't get in. The MVFC is the best conference but they also get the most bids. All you have to do is place in the top half of your conference and you are in.

Comment

You can not compare football to basketball. They are totally different!

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        I was talking about the previous BCS system that used computers to rank the teams and then we magically had this national title game. The four team playoff is light years ahead of that, but if you're not in a P5 conference you've got virtually zero shot to get in, even if you go undefeated. I'd like to at least see the "little guys" get a chance.
                        This might be a conversation for another thread, but imo the FBS playoffs needs to go to 8. That way all P5 conference champions would be in plus 3 at large teams. In that scenario, you could see an undefeated G5 team sneak in if they had a very good resume. Even then, idk if a G5 team would deserve it, because there's just a huge difference between the P5 and G5, which is why the P5 should just go on their own and the P5 should make a conference with the FCS, which is a conversation for yet another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                          This might be a conversation for another thread, but imo the FBS playoffs needs to go to 8. That way all P5 conference champions would be in plus 3 at large teams. In that scenario, you could see an undefeated G5 team sneak in if they had a very good resume. Even then, idk if a G5 team would deserve it, because there's just a huge difference between the P5 and G5, which is why the P5 should just go on their own and the P5 should make a conference with the FCS, which is a conversation for yet another thread.
                          There are 10 FBS conferences. Make it a 12-team playoff, seeded 1-12 among the 10 conference champions and 2 at-large teams, and give teams 1-4 a first round bye. If it's good enough for FCS it ought to work for FBS. (The annual pummeling of the Sun Belt champion by the #5 seed would be just additional comic relief.)
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I have always thought that either 5 (#1 gets a bye) or 6 (#1 & #2 get a bye). Right now there is no advantage to being #1 vs being #4.
                            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              There are 10 FBS conferences. Make it a 12-team playoff, seeded 1-12 among the 10 conference champions and 2 at-large teams, and give teams 1-4 a first round bye. If it's good enough for FCS it ought to work for FBS. (The annual pummeling of the Sun Belt champion by the #5 seed would be just additional comic relief.)
                              Yikes, I can already hear the bellowing that the P5 conferences would produce every year when 4 out of the 5 G5 teams get blown out. I just don't think the G5 is worthy of 5 teams, even in a 12 team format. Would it be "fair"? Sure. However, look at what being "fair" has done to some of the high school championships in SD (made them a joke). Fortunately, there have been some recent rule changes for the better.

Comment

Yikes, I can already hear the bellowing that the P5 conferences would produce every year when 4 out of the 5 G5 teams get blown out. I just don't think the G5 is worthy of 5 teams, even in a 12 team format. Would it be "fair"? Sure. However, look at what being "fair" has done to some of the high school championships in SD (made them a joke). Fortunately, there have been some recent rule changes for the better.
                                The biggest problem with expanding rounds in the playoffs is injuries. Most teams are held together with duct tape at this point in the season.

Comment

Working...
                                X