Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Seed Scenarios

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
    The biggest problem with expanding rounds in the playoffs is injuries. Most teams are held together with duct tape at this point in the season.
    And yet . . . Bowl games.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      This might be a conversation for another thread, but imo the FBS playoffs needs to go to 8. That way all P5 conference champions would be in plus 3 at large teams. In that scenario, you could see an undefeated G5 team sneak in if they had a very good resume. Even then, idk if a G5 team would deserve it, because there's just a huge difference between the P5 and G5, which is why the P5 should just go on their own and the P5 should make a conference with the FCS, which is a conversation for yet another thread.
      I vividly remember when Boise State beat Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl. I'm a fan of letting teams prove if they belong or not on the field instead of using metrics or perception or whatever to decide if they belong.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        Which is why we are seeing players opting not to play in them. Can't say I blame them.

Comment

Most teams that play in a Bowl game only play one game.
          If you are in the national championship playoffs, you have to play two games if you make it to the championship game. The more teams you add to the playoffs the more games you add to the season. The only way to solve that would be to play less games in the regular season.
          I think that is what they do in South Dakota in high school football playoffs. I THINK classes 11AAA and 11AA play one more regular season game but they play one less game in the playoffs.
          There have been a few players that sat out their bowl games last year because they didn't want to get injured and miss out on their millions of dollars.
          Would you rather play 3 or 4 games to win a national championship or make sure you stay healthy to make millions of dollars?

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
            Most teams that play in a Bowl game only play one game.
            If you are in the national championship playoffs, you have to play two games if you make it to the championship game. The more teams you add to the playoffs the more games you add to the season. The only way to solve that would be to play less games in the regular season.
            I think that is what they do in South Dakota in high school football playoffs. I THINK classes 11AAA and 11AA play one more regular season game but they play one less game in the playoffs.
            There have been a few players that sat out their bowl games last year because they didn't want to get injured and miss out on their millions of dollars.
            Would you rather play 3 or 4 games to win a national championship or make sure you stay healthy to make millions of dollars?
            In answer to your question--how many players have sat out of the FBS championship playoff games?
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Mike Leech Weigh's in. This guy is too good!

https://twitter.com/BradGalli/status/937885597938614274

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                The FCS playoff doesn’t represent the top 24 teams in FCS. The automatic qualifier needs to be eliminated and conference strength has to be considered more. How about some non conference games at the beginnng of the year to showcase conferences, CAA ( any other) vs MVFC to show conference strength. It’s are to watch first round games when the underdog has no chance of winnng or even playing well.
                I think you should look at it as a 16 team playoff with play-in games. If you do that there are only San Diego (ORV), Furman (#25), New Hampshire (#20) and UNI (#21) that weren't rated in the top 18 in the final FCS rankings that would have made it.
                I put the top 18 teams because NC A&T played Grambling and some championship game instead of getting into the playoffs.

There are some slight problems but not many.
                1) San Diego and Northern Arizona were both in the "other receiving votes" category so one of the would have made the 16 team playoff while Western Illinois (#10) had to play Weber State (#8) to eliminate one of them.
                2) Furman (#25) did beat Elon (#17) so they basically won their play-in game.
                I know that final ranking are not exactly what they should be but the 16 team playoff isn't really bad.

Comment

There are 10 FBS conferences. Make it a 12-team playoff, seeded 1-12 among the 10 conference champions and 2 at-large teams, and give teams 1-4 a first round bye. If it's good enough for FCS it ought to work for FBS. (The annual pummeling of the Sun Belt champion by the #5 seed would be just additional comic relief.)
                  Make it easy with 16 teams. Two from each of the P5 conferences, one each from the 5 lower conferences and one at large. Seed the entire field. The first round will eliminate the lesser conference champions after which there should be some exciting football.
                  You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                    Make it easy with 16 teams. Two from each of the P5 conferences, one each from the 5 lower conferences and one at large. Seed the entire field. The first round will eliminate the lesser conference champions after which there should be some exciting football.
                    I think it should be less because there is basically a 1st round with all the conf championships. My vote would 8 put a precedent on winning your conf championship and leave room for 2 wild card conference teams or P5 teams that got beat out of championship ex Alabama or Notre Dame-independent
                    Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Working...
                    X