Exhibition: SD Mines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhibition: SD Mines

Worked out some kinks in this one. Sounded like the defense wasn't sharp to start the game and Mines actually led at half by 2. Jacks outscore the Hardrockers 45-30 in the 2nd half to win comfortably 78-65.

Odd thing is that Howell didn't see the floor until late in the game and it doesn't sound like he's been injured, he's just been being outplayed in practice by the new guys.

I keep saying "sound" because GoJacks didn't have a video feed, which was highly disappointing.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Re: Exhibition: SD Mines

Jacks shot 42% from the field; 18-30 from FT line; 14 Turnovers.

Notable contributions:

Daum: 21pt 11rb (1-6 from three)
    Flatten: 16pt
    Jenkins: 16pt
    Key: 8pt
    Telly: 6pt
    - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
      Worked out some kinks in this one. Sounded like the defense wasn't sharp to start the game and Mines actually led at half by 2. Jacks outscore the Hardrockers 45-30 in the 2nd half to win comfortably 78-65.

Odd thing is that Howell didn't see the floor until late in the game and it doesn't sound like he's been injured, he's just been being outplayed in practice by the new guys.

I keep saying "sound" because GoJacks didn't have a video feed, which was highly disappointing.
      If I remember correctly, didn't Howell fail the conditioning test when practices started and miss some time ? Might have to work his way back into more playing time.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        If I remember correctly, didn't Howell fail the conditioning test when practices started and miss some time ? Might have to work his way back into more playing time.
        Well, now I read in Zimmer's article on the games that Howell was held back due to injury. Matt and Tyler don't seem to be on the same page on this one.

As far as the conditioning, I think I remember someone mentioning that, but can't remember who/where.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
          Well, now I read in Zimmer's article on the games that Howell was held back due to injury. Matt and Tyler don't seem to be on the same page on this one.

As far as the conditioning, I think I remember someone mentioning that, but can't remember who/where.
          I noticed that discrepancy last night also. Based on the fact that Howell went into the game in garbage time with the freshmen I'd say that the radio guys were right. As we saw early last year, TJ is not afraid to sit a guy for a few games if he's not happy with their play.

Comment

Would love to see some highlights. Encouraging signs from Jenkins, from the boxscore at least.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              Would love to see some highlights. Encouraging signs from Jenkins, from the boxscore at least.
              Jenkins Jr. is the real deal...will be hard to keep him out of starting line up. Could very well end up being one of, if not the most dynamic guards we've ever had.
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Brandon Key looked good at the point. He's quick and a good passer, but he bricked several free throws. David Jenkins is a good shooting guard coming off the bench. Skyler Flatten looked very good in all phases of the game. Daum is Daum - even his so-so games are pretty good. Telly will have to become more consistent and productive. King and Severyn are tough and athletic, and do all the unheralded stuff well. Theissen and Polk-Hilliard can be counted on to contribute good minutes. For whatever reason, Howell is in the doghouse. There's obviously work to do, but there's a lot of talent on this team.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Key is a little, emphasis on little, spark plug. Quick hands, and had a great assist last night. Jenkins Jr. was strokin' in from the left corner, and the 10 o clock position from the 3. TJ was yelling hard to push the pace on getting down on offense. When they did, Jacks started asserting control.

Comment

I thought Flaaten was getting another year after this year due to previous injury? Is that not the case?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                      I thought Flaaten was getting another year after this year due to previous injury? Is that not the case?
                      I'm guessing he wouldn't find out until this season is over. Until then, the issue wouldn't be ripe, so to speak.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                        Key is a little, emphasis on little, spark plug. Quick hands, and had a great assist last night. Jenkins Jr. was strokin' in from the left corner, and the 10 o clock position from the 3. TJ was yelling hard to push the pace on getting down on offense. When they did, Jacks started asserting control.
                        The radio guys made a big deal out of this "push the pace" issue last night, mentioning several times how having Key as the PG should allow for a lot more running than we saw with last year's squad. TJ talked about how he liked that style of play from day 1 and tried to make it fit in the first month last year (with lots of out-of-control turnovers). We ended up being a half court team. It looks like the athleticism is much higher now, especially if Flatten can earn big minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                          The radio guys made a big deal out of this "push the pace" issue last night, mentioning several times how having Key as the PG should allow for a lot more running than we saw with last year's squad. TJ talked about how he liked that style of play from day 1 and tried to make it fit in the first month last year (with lots of out-of-control turnovers). We ended up being a half court team. It looks like the athleticism is much higher now, especially if Flatten can earn big minutes.
                          As mentioned earlier, Key will have to shoot better than 40% from the free throw line. He did shoot 71% last year in JUCO, so hopefully it was just a case of first game jitters.

Comment

Working...
                          X