EXHIBITION,Jacks vs NSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EXHIBITION,Jacks vs NSU

NSU is a lot tougher than I thought they'd be,but Jacks pull out the victory, 71-59.First Creighton 5 pt loss and then the Jacks ,they lose by 12.Way to go Wolves ,have a great season.

Re: EXHIBITION,Jacks vs NSU

Sounded like a very sloppy 2nd quarter - turnovers and fouls. Plenty of settling for long jump shots. Not too surprising, considering how many exhibition games have gone in the past.

Selland was first off the bench, followed by Irwin and Stevens. It sounded like Irwin had a nice game.

Comment

Rebounding needs to improve significantly.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
        Rebounding needs to improve significantly.

It will. It's an exhibition. These games are more for the coaches than the players I think sometimes. We are going to be very, very good on the inside I believe.
        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Wolves were not overrun by SDSU's team energy, nor in the paint. Jackrabbit "D" forced several shot-clock TO's/errors which is nice to see.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
            It will. It's an exhibition. These games are more for the coaches than the players I think sometimes. We are going to be very, very good on the inside I believe.
            I'm actually pretty concerned about the "5" as neither Bultsma or Flaata appear like they will contribute much this season. Larson is probably more of a 4 and once we play against the P5 schools we will need height somewhere.
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
              I'm actually pretty concerned about the "5" as neither Bultsma or Flaata appear like they will contribute much this season. Larson is probably more of a 4 and once we play against the P5 schools we will need height somewhere.
              What we give up on the defensive side of the floor we gain on the offensive side. It will be hard for the bigger teams to be able to stay with our 4s and 5s. As with every women's team that isn't one of the P5 schools, it will come down to us shooting the ball. We've never had a team that could go toe-to-toe with those big schools. What we have had are bigs that can shoot and spread the floor which allows us to have a bit of an inside game

Comment

I'm actually pretty concerned about the "5" as neither Bultsma or Flaata appear like they will contribute much this season. Larson is probably more of a 4 and once we play against the P55 schools we will need height somewhere.
                This! I think the lack of a true 5 defender will be this teams biggest issue all year. If we can't match up with Northern's Bigs how are we going to expect to defend the P5 schools in the paint. If Bultsma had not developed and progressed enough to get on the floor it will be a real issue.

Comment

I did not think Flaata participated in the warm-ups last night. She did not have a boot or knee brace like last week. The timing on offense with new players seems off yet. The defense did not look prepared for the big players or some of the outside shooting. The jackrabbits tried to bowl the Wolves over and it did not work. It is a bit early to pull out the hair on a 5. Other teams may be concerned about getting back on defense themselves. (NJIT is the next build up for this team.) Northern was not that bad of a team even though the Jackrabbits put it together for a lead after trailing in the 3rd quarter and held onto the lead.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    This! I think the lack of a true 5 defender will be this teams biggest issue all year. If we can't match up with Northern's Bigs how are we going to expect to defend the P5 schools in the paint. If Bultsma had not developed and progressed enough to get on the floor it will be a real issue.
                    Agree 100%. We're going to be really good, but interior defense and rebounding are legitimate concerns.

"Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I took the total points scored for both games (some only played 1 game,as noted),divided by total min played in both games ( or 1 gm for those players) to get pts per min figures for our first two exhibition games,to kind of get an idea who were the most proficient at scoring for the team.The results are as follows,Irwin 63 % scoring efficiency, Thompson 57%, Guebert 53%, Stevens 49%, Miller 43 % (still easing into the season a little I think), Theuninck 42% *( only played in Moorhead gm), Alexander 41%, Palmer 36%, Jensen 33%, Bultsma 33% * (only Moorhead gm) Sellend 27% (0 against NSU hurt her stats),Larson 18%(3-9 a 33% shooting percentage ,but played a lot of minutes, that dragged her PPM numbers down,really need her rebounding though),Tracy 0% (just 3 shots both games , not a lot of minutes,very tough defender) ,Flaata sitting out injured.It will be interesting to see if the lower half players can lift their numbers up a little as the season progresses (and they progress).

Scoring isn't the whole picture by itself I know,and we really haven't warmed up to our shooting potential just yet,that's something I'm looking forward to this season. Some players numbers are bolstered by the numbers derived from the first game (the easier of the two),or you could argue everyone benefited from that game too.NSU was a very tough game and exposed some weaknesses the team has,thanks to them for revealing these, as that's the whole idea of playing exhibition games in my opinion. All in all, about an average exhibition season this year. Can't wait to play NJIT when it all starts to count....have a good season Jacks.
                      Last edited by jackdaniel; 11-03-2017, 12:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                        What we give up on the defensive side of the floor we gain on the offensive side. It will be hard for the bigger teams to be able to stay with our 4s and 5s. As with every women's team that isn't one of the P5 schools, it will come down to us shooting the ball. We've never had a team that could go toe-to-toe with those big schools. What we have had are bigs that can shoot and spread the floor which allows us to have a bit of an inside game
                        I agree with most of this but SO FAR I don't see Larson, Stevens, etc being able to shoot from outside like Werkenthien, Oistad and Boever could when they were out there.
                        I would really love to have a Ristau at SDSU. AJ has brought in Flatta, Bultsma, Mieras and Larson in so we will see if any of them can become a productive post player. Larson seems to have the basketball IQ but not the seize. Mires is gone. The other two are not looking good so far.
                        A few years ago, there were players like Stuart and Aamlid.
                        It seems like there might be more misses with post players then guards. I could be wrong but it sure seems that way to me.
                        We have hit on several posts over the years too. I guess that could be with projecting coordination and maturity. Some posts are just tall and lanky or big in high school.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                          I agree with most of this but SO FAR I don't see Larson, Stevens, etc being able to shoot from outside like Werkenthien, Oistad and Boever could when they were out there.
                          I would really love to have a Ristau at SDSU. AJ has brought in Flatta, Bultsma, Mieras and Larson in so we will see if any of them can become a productive post player. Larson seems to have the basketball IQ but not the seize. Mires is gone. The other two are not looking good so far.
                          A few years ago, there were players like Stuart and Aamlid.
                          It seems like there might be more misses with post players then guards. I could be wrong but it sure seems that way to me.
                          We have hit on several posts over the years too. I guess that could be with projecting coordination and maturity. Some posts are just tall and lanky or big in high school.
                          Post players are our level are always going to be a crap shoot. The ones that are ready to play or that are "can't miss" are usually snapped up by the bigger programs. Very similar to anyone that is 6'10 or above on the men's side.

I think that 1-3 we can compete with almost anyone in the country. At the 4 I would say we are probably right where we should be IMO. The 5 will always be a "wait and see" position for me.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                            I did not think Flaata participated in the warm-ups last night. She did not have a boot or knee brace like last week. The timing on offense with new players seems off yet. The defense did not look prepared for the big players or some of the outside shooting. The jackrabbits tried to bowl the Wolves over and it did not work. It is a bit early to pull out the hair on a 5. Other teams may be concerned about getting back on defense themselves. (NJIT is the next build up for this team.) Northern was not that bad of a team even though the Jackrabbits put it together for a lead after trailing in the 3rd quarter and held onto the lead.
                            Commenting on the bold print above....especially when we run a transition fast break like this, Kerri out ran Manning who's not slow and had no choice but to try and keep up with her and Macy on Ortiz I think, look at 1:38 mark, again Kerri outruns everyone,going to miss her speed. on the fast break for sure. Both Okla players end up at base line looking back and watching the ball fall through the net.
                            Last edited by jackdaniel; 11-05-2017, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X