Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tailgating

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post

Part of me really misses the days when the tailgate was just getting going. It was a bit lawless, but everyone was pretty well behaved.
    THIS. People come 'round to our spot after having been away a year or two and wonder what happened to everyone. I look around every weekend and wonder what happened to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
      THIS. People come 'round to our spot after having been away a year or two and wonder what happened to everyone. I look around every weekend and wonder what happened to everyone.
      I think there are a few reasons.

1. Obviously the students that used to come and drink that were under age just don't come any more. I don't blame them either. Solution? I think the best tailgating set up was when they had the grass area that was North of the normal tailgate area where students or anyone could show up the day of the game and get a spot for $10 to set up. That area got pretty rowdy, but most of the rowdy stayed in that area at least. I wish they had an area where you could buy a tailgate spot on the day of the game. There are no good spots to set up a tent if you're not in the back yard.

2. Tailgating spots used to be owned by people that were there nearly every week. Now many of them are owned by people who only show up for Hobo Day. Solution? I don't know, but something needs to change here.

3. Even though there aren't areas to tailgate, people still make their own tailgate areas in the parking lots, which spreads things out a lot and makes it seem like less people are tailgating overall.

Comment

I was being a bit facetious, but thanks. I don't see many unused spots in my area, although we won't be there next week or at all again.
        We made it to four games this year. For a family living three hours away, with teenagers and their own schedules, we're doing damn good in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          I think there are a few reasons.

2. Tailgating spots used to be owned by people that were there nearly every week. Now many of them are owned by people who only show up for Hobo Day. Solution? I don't know, but something needs to change here.

3. Even though there aren't areas to tailgate, people still make their own tailgate areas in the parking lots, which spreads things out a lot and makes it seem like less people are tailgating overall.
          1.) I like your idea of creating a designated area for single game days spots.
          2.) I don't think that is the case, at least the spots around us that isn't the case anymore.
          3.) I have said this previously more and more people are spreading out, which is a good thing.

Also add with Club Room, there is a lot of individuals that are forgoing being outside and going directly to the Club Room to congregate before the game.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            Also add with Club Room, there is a lot of individuals that are forgoing being outside and going directly to the Club Room to congregate before the game.
            BINGO. There are about 1,000 people, most of whom used to tailgate, filling up Club 71 every game. Little doubt about that. There is no doubt also that tailgating has spread out...quite a lot of it over by the Alumni Association tent.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
              BINGO. There are about 1,000 people, most of whom used to tailgate, filling up Club 71 every game. Little doubt about that. There is no doubt also that tailgating has spread out...quite a lot of it over by the Alumni Association tent.
              We moved over into the area by the alumni tent and we love it. We have to walk about 100 yards to get into the game, lots of grass for our handful of little kids to play football and run around on. We also get plenty of shade from the trees in the area.

Comment

Anybody doing any projects or new additions for their tailgate this year? Personally I’m working on a set of corn hole boards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I like the fact the tailgating has spread out more thru the lots as it adds to the atmosphere. I've been to all the away P5 games and the one thing that always grabs my attention is the off campus tailgating. Just gives you the presence the whole town is involved. I've always thought it would be cool and great for advertising if people could get started tailgating along 6th street or Medary, etc. But that's just me.

Comment

I am now completely convinced that SDSU will never get a decent fan base for football until they relax the tailgating experience. Iowa State was awesome. I could go on and on about this, but the football games have to turn into an event. Until it does, the crowds will be lacking. The student fan base will never grow until things change.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                      I am now completely convinced that SDSU will never get a decent fan base for football until they relax the tailgating experience. Iowa State was awesome. I could go on and on about this, but the football games have to turn into an event. Until it does, the crowds will be lacking. The student fan base will never grow until things change.
                      If the goal is to entice families and college students, hopefully Athletics is thinking bigger than just tailgating.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                        I’m a freshman at SDSU. A large percentage of the college students I talk to as well as their friends never go to the games because of the tailgate policy. They would much rather be at a house and watch the game on TV. The student section will most likely never be filled in the immediate future because of the lack of gameday/tailgate experience for many students.

Comment

Originally posted by MilbankJack View Post
                          I’m a freshman at SDSU. A large percentage of the college students I talk to as well as their friends never go to the games because of the tailgate policy. They would much rather be at a house and watch the game on TV. The student section will most likely never be filled in the immediate future because of the lack of gameday/tailgate experience for many students.
                          What changes would you and some of the other students like to see implemented?

Sorry, I've never really been engrossed in the tailgate debate because I don't typically tailgate. However, that's not to say I'm opposed to improvements. I also think more could be offered in the SJAC for families with kids who might be less apt to tailgate.

Comment

Personally, I have been to nearly every Jacks game since I was about 8 years old, and I don’t plan to change that. Of course, mostly everyone knows the reason why underage college kids want to tailgate: to drink. I know it’s sort of a political issue, but underage drinking is part of the college experience for many kids... Taking it away from tailgating isn’t going to make them not drink, it’s just going to make them drink somewhere else (at a house for example), which in turn decreases student attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                              If the goal is to entice families and college students, hopefully Athletics is thinking bigger than just tailgating.
                              You just don’t get it. Sorry. Families tailgate too. My family tailgates. The SDSU athletic department can’t make the fans show up. They need to allow people to enjoy themselves and create a day long event.

There has to be some common ground between the chaos of what happened a few years ago and what they do now.
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

However, I cannot truly answer your question. I think it’s something they need to brainstorm about as well as try to get student input about via polls, a suggestion survey, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X