Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tailgating

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
    Everyone knows “oppression” is too harsh of a word, but I get his/her point. You obviously think everything is doing great and status quo. I’m actually really sorry you feel that way. There are some changes that need to be made and UPD is part of those changes.

I’m not asking for a rave/party every time. I don’t/can’t do that as I have kids, job, etc. My family and kids come to all the games. But these tailgating rules are ruining some of the future fan base. I’m worried about the students and building an atmosphere for fans to come join an “all day event” instead of just a football game.
    LOL, I never said that.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I have no dog in this fight, as I gave up drinking several years back, so I don't do the tailgate thing that much.
      (it's not that I can't have fun, it can just get annoying being around people getting sloshed, maybe I need new friends!)

I usually go to the Tailgate on Hobo day, if I can. And that's about it.

It is disheartening to hear that people aren't having a fun time, and they are being policed to the point of feeling harassed.
      On the other hand, I remember a HOBO day, several years back, maybe it was the 1st or 2nd year it was allowed... it was insane. It felt like 1/4 of the crowd at the tailgate didn't come into the game... it was like woodstock out there, I think I remember a bonfire being set! Then at halftime a bunch of the crowd left and joined the party, and never returned. (my wife was one of them!)

It would be nice to find a solid middle ground, where people are allowed to have fun, but not have so much fun that they are being obnoxious rule breakers.

Students are going to drink. I drank while I was in college, and if tailgating had been a thing that was allowed back then, I'd have been trying to join the party too.
      -So if it is being over policed, I can understand the students going to a house party instead...and then staying to watch the game, because hey... you can keep the party going.

Anyway, this post is just a waste of space, as I have no solutions.
      But I do wish that people could have a good time at the tailgates, even if I'm not there to participate most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post

Students are going to drink. I drank while I was in college, and if tailgating had been a thing that was allowed back then, I'd have been trying to join the party too.
        -So if it is being over policed, I can understand the students going to a house party instead...and then staying to watch the game, because hey... you can keep the party going.
        In lieu of a supervised student tailgate with light enforcement... this is what was happening instead. I have no idea if these students made it to the game or not. Sorry if any of you see your kids in this video. haha
        https://twitter.com/Angelaheinz12/st...10652807032833
        Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
          In lieu of a supervised student tailgate with light enforcement... this is what was happening instead. I have no idea if these students made it to the game or not. Sorry if any of you see your kids in this video. haha
          https://twitter.com/Angelaheinz12/st...10652807032833
          Well, it looks like at least a few of them made it to the game, but I'm betting a large majority didn't bother going.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
            You guys can joke, but creating a welcoming tailgating atmosphere is essential to growing the SDSU fan base in the short term and especially long term. If all people really wanted to do is watch a football game, some would just stay at home and watch it. You have to create/foster an experience, make it into an event that people feel like they can't miss so they have to be there.
            I agree with this wholeheartedly. I usually show up 3 hours before game time and I still get the "Why do you have to be there so early???"

I am starting to think I don't need that kind of negativity in my life anymore and I need to be there sooner. Never enough time to visit with the people I tailgate with and the long lost friends that I only see on Fall Saturdays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
              I have no dog in this fight, as I gave up drinking several years back, so I don't do the tailgate thing that much.
              (it's not that I can't have fun, it can just get annoying being around people getting sloshed, maybe I need new friends!)

I usually go to the Tailgate on Hobo day, if I can. And that's about it.

It is disheartening to hear that people aren't having a fun time, and they are being policed to the point of feeling harassed.
              On the other hand, I remember a HOBO day, several years back, maybe it was the 1st or 2nd year it was allowed... it was insane. It felt like 1/4 of the crowd at the tailgate didn't come into the game... it was like woodstock out there, I think I remember a bonfire being set! Then at halftime a bunch of the crowd left and joined the party, and never returned. (my wife was one of them!)

It would be nice to find a solid middle ground, where people are allowed to have fun, but not have so much fun that they are being obnoxious rule breakers.

Anyway, this post is just a waste of space, as I have no solutions.
              But I do wish that people could have a good time at the tailgates, even if I'm not there to participate most of the time.
              I with you coach. It makes you wonder sometimes why certain things are so important. Consuming beverages has been going on for a long time. Yes it will not end anytime soon. Our fan base growth is depending on the quality of play on the field and not UPD enforcing tailgating rules. I have been fan for longer than I can remember so before tailgating people just came to the games and enjoyed themselves. Now it is a big festival day and things change and should change over the years. How many FCS schools had a crowd of 14k? I am sure there are not many. I dont have any problems with size of our fan base. I think we will be okay to quote Filbert’s signature.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 09-11-2018, 09:44 PM.

Comment

The Chiefs down here just changed their rules for tailgating this year so that the parking lots (which are legendary for tailgating) are cleared out once the game begins. (Sound familiar?) You're either in the stadium or have to leave the parking lots.

Of course there is vocal opposition to this change.

In the recent past people have been killed in the lots.

Killed. As in manslaughter.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news...as-city-chiefs

Note that the Chiefs made an out of court settlement in preference to being held liable in a wrongful death lawsuit.

I'm not saying there is a direct cause and effect between that and the change, but if you were the Chiefs, wouldn't you reevaluate your tailgating policies?

It might be helpful for all discussing the vigor of SDSU tailgating enforcement keep in mind what the potential downsides are when you're mixing large groups of people and alcohol. Bad, bad, bad things can and do happen.

SDSU has had problems--not nearly this severe but serious enough in the tailgating area and is still searching for the best balance of interests. Somebody's always going to be unhappy. Unhappy is preferable to some of the more extreme alternative outcomes.
                Last edited by filbert; 09-12-2018, 08:21 AM. Reason: Spelling. Darn iPad.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Part of the issue is the general lack of alternative entertainment in the tailgate area. When we first started tailgating the radio station (910AM) had a tent set up and the sports guys would broadcast from the area. They would interview coaches from other sports, athletes, etc.

Maybe have a stage similar to what college gameday does that the radio/tv folks can use for some pregame broadcasts. Maybe bring in some local music and use the stage for that. I think that where most tailgates fail is a lack of options. When all there is to do is pound beers, that is when bad things happen.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                    Part of the issue is the general lack of alternative entertainment in the tailgate area. When we first started tailgating the radio station (910AM) had a tent set up and the sports guys would broadcast from the area. They would interview coaches from other sports, athletes, etc.

Maybe have a stage similar to what college gameday does that the radio/tv folks can use for some pregame broadcasts. Maybe bring in some local music and use the stage for that. I think that where most tailgates fail is a lack of options. When all there is to do is pound beers, that is when bad things happen.
                    I think this is right on. I like both ideas of a live broadcast and local music entertainment in the backyard! Tailgating is much more than seeing how drunk you can get. If that is the goal than go to a house party.

Comment

This thread is almost comical.

Hey, I've got a crazy idea. Let's have everyone follow the rules this week now that we have established what the UPD/Brookings will be enforcing.

Next, let's have another discussion next week. Can it be a little "oppressive" at times. Yeah, it probably can but put yourselves in their shoes a little bit. They get to go to work that day and be the "fun police" for the day. When they do have a problem in all likelihood it is with some drunken asshat that hasn't followed the rules. SHOCKER!!! What are they supposed to do?

If you all just RELAX and go in with an open mind you might just have an enjoyable day.

Just my $.02! I thought last Saturday afternoon was a pretty good time to be a Jackrabbit.

SUPERBUNNY
                      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                        This thread is almost comical.

Hey, I've got a crazy idea. Let's have everyone follow the rules this week now that we have established what the UPD/Brookings will be enforcing.

Next, let's have another discussion next week. Can it be a little "oppressive" at times. Yeah, it probably can but put yourselves in their shoes a little bit. They get to go to work that day and be the "fun police" for the day. When they do have a problem in all likelihood it is with some drunken asshat that hasn't followed the rules. SHOCKER!!! What are they supposed to do?

If you all just RELAX and go in with an open mind you might just have an enjoyable day.

Just my $.02! I thought last Saturday afternoon was a pretty good time to be a Jackrabbit.

SUPERBUNNY
                        I don't think I've Complained about the rules. (I do feel that the wristband thing is a bit silly, but I understand from a liability standpoint why it's being done) I too have been a rule breaker (sometimes on accident The drake game last year we forgot about the wristband rule and some UPD came over and talked with us for a bit and at the end reminded of of the rule to which we immediately went and complied) I do break the glass bottle rule a bit but I also use Keg cups so I'm not always walking around with bottles (sometimes I forget though). I'm guessing when done that way it's mostly compliant. the liquor is out of sight usually at our tailgate and nobody over indulges. (some of the ladies don't like beer or wine: Again CUPS)

BUT contrary to what some might see as a non issue, the fact that we've had a double-digit page discussion on this subject for what the last 2o r 3 or more years points to the fact that not everybody agrees with that.

I'll just say if you mostly follow the rules you really shouldn't have a problem, but I would like to find solutions that bring the students in for tailgating.
                        Last edited by slosho; 09-13-2018, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          The Chiefs down here just changed their rules for tailgating this year so that the parking lots (which are legendary for tailgating) are cleared out once the game begins. (Sound familiar?) You're either in the stadium or have to leave the parking lots.

Of course there is vocal opposition to this change.

In the recent past people have been killed in the lots.

Killed. As in manslaughter.

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news...as-city-chiefs

Note that the Chiefs made an out of court settlement in preference to being held liable in a wrongful death lawsuit.

I'm not saying there is a direct cause and effect between that and the change, but if you were the Chiefs, wouldn't you reevaluate your tailgating policies?

It might be helpful for all discussing the vigor of SDSU tailgating enforcement keep in mind what the potential downsides are when you're mixing large groups of people and alcohol. Bad, bad, bad things can and do happen.

SDSU has had problems--not nearly this severe but serious enough in the tailgating area and is still searching for the best balance of interests. Somebody's always going to be unhappy. Unhappy is preferable to some of the more extreme alternative outcomes.
                          This is an unfortunate situation for the Kansas City Chiefs, and SDSU being a FCS member can consider itself lucky that some similar incident has not happened at SDSU. I am not against tailgating. I have been invited to some of these side events, and have participated in the food. Free food, I never turn down, but just doing a google on Kyle Van Winkel all sort of hits turn up and this young man is no different that most of the posters on this board. I know 95 per cent of you posters on this board were not on campus 1959-65, and were not even a twinkle in your parents eyes when I was a student. What strikes me emotionally about Kyle is that he could easily been at an SDSU tailgate event.
                          As I said earlier we have been lucky something like this has not happen at a SDSU Tailgate. What would the BOR do if something like this does happen? We probably will not have to worry about UPD since there will probably be no tailgating for anyone.
                          https://abcnews.go.com/US/wife-livin...ry?id=21188440

Comment

I lost in a knife fight while tailgating at a Chiefs game six years ago. Me and this onion were going at it and I didn't have a good surface to work on. It got dicey for awhile, then BAM! I cut too deep on the onion and my finger started to bleed. I wish I could have had a wristband to use as a tourniquet as the cut was deep. Should have got stiches, but decided to man up and not tell the authorities. In the end, the steak sandwiches with grilled onions were awesome. The game was good too. The atmosphere was perfect for bonding with fathers and sons. Those types of memories have made fans out of the next generation.

In all seriousness, tailgating is an awesome addition to football Saturdays in Brookings. It has allowed my wife and I to reconnect with friends that we don't see often enough. We are largely responsible in our actions and the wristbands have not been a big deal for us. I've never had an issue with UPD, even when my underage nephew enjoyed a couple of brews in the Backyard. (His dad served him and that's his prerogative.) I love how tailgating has added to the atmosphere and like the entertainment in the stadium has been tweaked over the years to make it fun for the majority, so to is the tweaking going on in the tailgating area.

Hope to travel north later this year to reconnect in the Backyard, maybe meet a few of you and watch an awesome event in Dykhouse Stadium. I might even toast a UPD officer if they are doing their job in a respectful manner.

Comment

Can we at least agree the 4th qtr yell has to go. The only one I could see as kind of cool would be to start the game. Students yell Jack. Rest of the fans yell rabbit. Back and frog leading to the kick off. That's the only time I'm ok with it.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                                Can we at least agree the 4th qtr yell has to go. The only one I could see as kind of cool would be to start the game. Students yell Jack. Rest of the fans yell rabbit. Back and frog leading to the kick off. That's the only time I'm ok with it.
                                Yeah, it's pretty lame.

Comment

Working...
                                X