Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Tailgating

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
    Never mind the fact that the current location of the Alumni tent is literally a half block from there and probably closer to the main entrance of the Stadium just across north campus drive. It's in a prime spot in my mind.
    I agree that it is an ideal spot, especially for older alumni that don't want to do all the walking associated with the Backyard.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU82 View Post
      The "green space" around the Wellness Center and between the Wellness Center and the DJD is barely green as it was just seeded to grass a couple of weeks ago. It would not be very productive to have an Alumni tent or any tent and foot traffic on that area at this time or for the foreseeable future.
      That was a very literal meaning of what I meant by green space. How about next year? Would it qualify as green enough then? I'm saying it's a good useable place.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The Alumni tent has some very nice stamped concrete. They’d have to find another group to use it or wait another 10 yrs until it’s been well used.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          That was a very literal meaning of what I meant by green space. How about next year? Would it qualify as green enough then? I'm saying it's a good useable place.
          The Wellness Center addition took a great deal of space. Some green and some parking. The outside construction is done and as SDSU2002 said, the area near the building has been re-seeded. Maybe next year! But not this year. It makes me wonder where The Beef bunch will place their tent this weekend.

Comment

GOON: You do realize the Alumni Tent is already essentially there, right? and I do think it is/was odd they they moved the Alumni tent from what was the epicenter of Tailgating "The back yard" and put it in a space that has tailgating nearby but not at that density. They really should look at tailgating as a major issue keeping us from where we could be. Some ff this I also think comes from having so many non-tailgaters parked so close to the stadium. (I know it hurts, but think about the set-up at the Fargo dome) They could have better spots close to the stadium and I think that could foster more tailgating, but we have acres of cars with no tailgaters. just the few by the SJACK and a couple of others.

Comment

I personally like that tailgating has decentralized from the Backyard. I may not be a fan of many other aspects of our tailgaiting, but I think more people tailgating in the main 5 lots that ring the stadium is a good thing. And it probably cuts down on some "incidents" if everyone is more spread out evenly. I persobally love tailgaiting in the 10 dollar lot near the library. Lots of families, but everyone is having a good time and letting loose. Lots of good grass and shade around the edge too. I also enjoy the backyard, but I think the alumni tent moving has been nice. It gives you another pulse on the southern end of the stadium that wasn't there a few years ago. I don't think having better tailgaiting necessarily means having more people in the backyard. I think it's more important to improve the tailgaiting in the lots that are naturally close to the stadium, and attract enough people to avoid "dead spots" in the lots. Based on the waiting list to get a spot in the backyard, we've kind of outgrown that area as our main space. I'd rather see investment and priority given to making the lots adjacent to the stadium better. Just my opinion, and I realize I may be in the minority there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                I personally like that tailgating has decentralized from the Backyard. I may not be a fan of many other aspects of our tailgaiting, but I think more people tailgating in the main 5 lots that ring the stadium is a good thing. And it probably cuts down on some "incidents" if everyone is more spread out evenly. I persobally love tailgaiting in the 10 dollar lot near the library. Lots of families, but everyone is having a good time and letting loose. Lots of good grass and shade around the edge too. I also enjoy the backyard, but I think the alumni tent moving has been nice. It gives you another pulse on the southern end of the stadium that wasn't there a few years ago. I don't think having better tailgaiting necessarily means having more people in the backyard. I think it's more important to improve the tailgaiting in the lots that are naturally close to the stadium, and attract enough people to avoid "dead spots" in the lots. Based on the waiting list to get a spot in the backyard, we've kind of outgrown that area as our main space. I'd rather see investment and priority given to making the lots adjacent to the stadium better. Just my opinion, and I realize I may be in the minority there.
                I think I'm with you. I have enjoyed tailgating the few times we did out side of the back yard area. Previous times in the back yard were crowded with students just standing around making yard to visit friends in the back yard.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

+1

This is my opinion too. I really enjoy the spread out tailgating as I think it improves the atmosphere. The band plays in front of the Alumni tent close to game time and it’s really cool.

Also, I was going to ask this when I was ranting away about tailgating a few pages back, but there’s actually a waiting list to get a permanent spot? Is this for real? Isn’t this money the department is giving away and not getting? Because I hate complaining without a solution, why don’t they make a couple of the Jackrabbit club lots “tailgating lots”. Pay $200? to have a permanent spot. It doesn’t need to be marked out like “The Backyard”. You only allow so many to get into the lot for the season and they can only park in there and tailgate. For those at Iowa State, it would be similar to lots C1, C2, C3, etc.
                  Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                    +1

This is my opinion too. I really enjoy the spread out tailgating as I think it improves the atmosphere. The band plays in front of the Alumni tent close to game time and it’s really cool.

Also, I was going to ask this when I was ranting away about tailgating a few pages back, but there’s actually a waiting list to get a permanent spot? Is this for real? Isn’t this money the department is giving away and not getting? Because I hate complaining without a solution, why don’t they make a couple of the Jackrabbit club lots “tailgating lots”. Pay $200? to have a permanent spot. It doesn’t need to be marked out like “The Backyard”. You only allow so many to get into the lot for the season and they can only park in there and tailgate. For those at Iowa State, it would be similar to lots C1, C2, C3, etc.
                    I know that a few years ago, there was a waiting list for spots in the backyard. Not sure if it still is that way, but I can't imagine availability has gone up in the last couple of years.

I wish they'd create a true RV lot, bear the backyard, that allowed overnight camping. Take one lot that isn't going to be used for any weekday or weekend parking (paved lot NW of backyard), dedicate a bunch of spots, and open it up to first come-first serve Friday night before each home game. You can make sure it's safe and well run, but I think that could be huge here, and would encourage more people to make and weekend out of it. Plus, as anyone who's been to Fargo knows, a lot full of rvs and rigs looks awesome and really adds a lot to the surrounding atmosphere. Right now, we have an RV lot that you can't stay overnight in. I think that defeats the purpose a little. Maybe they can't stay overnight in Fargo either, but I'm sure this would be doable if it didn't interfere with any motor pool or student parking.

Comment

I know that a few years ago, there was a waiting list for spots in the backyard. Not sure if it still is that way, but I can't imagine availability has gone up in the last couple of years.

I wish they'd create a true RV lot, bear the backyard, that allowed overnight camping. Take one lot that isn't going to be used for any weekday or weekend parking (paved lot NW of backyard), dedicate a bunch of spots, and open it up to first come-first serve Friday night before each home game. You can make sure it's safe and well run, but I think that could be huge here, and would encourage more people to make and weekend out of it. Plus, as anyone who's been to Fargo knows, a lot full of rvs and rigs looks awesome and really adds a lot to the surrounding atmosphere. Right now, we have an RV lot that you can't stay overnight in. I think that defeats the purpose a little. Maybe they can't stay overnight in Fargo either, but I'm sure this would be doable if it didn't interfere with any motor pool or student parking.
                      LOL. We were just talking about bringing a camper on Saturday. I guess not anymore.

Anyone know if USD or NDSU fans can keep their stuff overnight?

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                        I bet it would have gone a long way on his part if he had the foresight to bring wrist bands with him when policing that policy. That just seems like the nice, proper thing to do.
                        This seems like a great opportunity for short-term compromise, as it would allow UPD to continue "enforcement" while increasing convenience for fans.

Comment

I think this would be a great idea, especially if they want to keep turning the Backyard into a corporate type of area for big donors and such. I like the spread out tailgating but having an area where people can put big tailgating rigs would be a good thing IMO. Plus if it's somewhere you can leave it at least overnight then you make it a bit safer if someone tailgated too hard. If there's a waiting list for the Backyard then why not create a new area that allows just overnight parking of RVs or tailgate set ups? Don't know where the best spot for that would be, maybe one of the lots to the NW of the stadium? Either way, I still have a blast hanging out at slosho's tailgate. Somewhat surprises me that the lot by Briggs isn't almost all tailgating tbh, with how close it is to the stadium.
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Not only am I with you on most of your points here I also tailgate near you, and I feel it's a great area as well. but space is limited so there's that issue for expansion.

Come buy and say hello. I'm sure it will be worth your whille.
                            Last edited by slosho; 09-11-2018, 08:54 AM.

Comment

I agree that there was a heavy UPD presence in "The Backyard" this week but we didn't have any issues at all with them or anyone getting out of line. In fact, we thought it was one of the more enjoyable tailgates that we've had in the last several years.

The last several years the first week has always had a much more visible presence as I'm sure they want to set the tone for the year so that everyone is under control and knows what to expect. I think it is over the top but can see their viewpoint. We've found that in subsequent weeks it is much less intrusive. Now, we also have never been a spot to give them any issues either so it was tailgating per normal for us.

Unfortunately, it is different here than other places. We have a BOR that would just assume see tailgating shut down. They see the revenue and interest it brings in so I don't think it will get taken away unless something bad happens. Let's hope that never does.

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                                GOON: You do realize the Alumni Tent is already essentially there, right? and I do think it is/was odd they they moved the Alumni tent from what was the epicenter of Tailgating "The back yard" and put it in a space that has tailgating nearby but not at that density. They really should look at tailgating as a major issue keeping us from where we could be. Some ff this I also think comes from having so many non-tailgaters parked so close to the stadium. (I know it hurts, but think about the set-up at the Fargo dome) They could have better spots close to the stadium and I think that could foster more tailgating, but we have acres of cars with no tailgaters. just the few by the SJACK and a couple of others.
                                Do people really think the administration isn't doing this? Just because they aren't doing things the way some posters think they should doesn't mean there isn't serious strategy that goes into making tailgating as fun as possible while meeting responsibilities that I would expect from a state institution.

There have been a ton of tailgating changes since it officially became a thing (positive and/or negative depending on your point of view). Some changes have been flops, others have been successful. The administration seems very open to changing things, in my opinion.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X